Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Screen capture video program

Good evening!

This is my first post here. I am a long time Reaper user (since 2008), commercial license.

I am looking for screen capturing video software, so I can record a Reaper project, video and audio simultaneously.

Is licecap good for that? Just looking for a simple program that can make an accurate recording of what I see on my computer monitors, so I can send it to my film making collaborators.

Thanks!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
peter5992

Well ... I downloaded and installed Licecap, and I recorded my project.

Disillusion ... none of the audio was captured.

I uninstalled licecap from my computer.

Any recommendations as to software that can get a good screen grab, both audio and video, high definition?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
zyisrad

http://camstudio.org/

You might have to route the audio from a hardware out back into your motherboard line in.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #4
Paul99

I watched the website of Camstudio and it looks guite interesting also because it is free software!
But when I wanted to download the program, my Eset antivirus suite blocked the download website as being malicious. I scanned the setup-program at virustotal.com and there were a lot of well known anti-virus software manufactures warning for potential risc: https://www.virustotal.com/nl/file/a...is/1445423269/
I know sometimes a scanner returns a generic code because the program is rather unknown to the scanner or the program makes changes in the registry. In this case no results are generic codes.
Maybe some more experienced users can chime in on this?
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
unmixed

BB FlashBack Express is free & lightweight,it can export to AVI,the paid version has more editing options

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashB...eEditions.aspx
unmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
karbomusic

I grabbed bandicam a few years ago, been great ever since. I use lice cap for short animated GIF videos, when I want audio or more fancy features I use bandicam.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
unmixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post

Disillusion ... none of the audio was captured.

Licecap is GIF generator,for webpages,not really made for video
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
peter5992

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
heda

Hi Peter, I would recommend you to use Open Broadcaster Software.
It can be used to stream the video live or just save it as a file in your hard drive instead. You can define to capture all monitors or just one region, or program window, and your webcam at the same time if needed etc...
It's free open source and great
https://obsproject.com/
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
derek.john.evans

Im also looking for a decent (small) video/sound capture tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
I watched the website of Camstudio and it looks guite interesting also because it is free software!
But when I wanted to download the program, my Eset antivirus suite blocked the download website as being malicious. I scanned the setup-program at virustotal.com and there were a lot of well known anti-virus software manufactures warning for potential risc:
I tried CamStudio (from SourceForge) a few days ago. Yep, Yahoo took over my browsers homepage and search. Even when I uninstalled camstudio and changed settings, I had problems. It installed a exe which kept changing the settings of my browsers. I found the exe by searching for the recently modified *.exe on my system and terminated & deleted it. (it wasn't part of CamStudio)

Unsure what else that it installed, but, I wouldn't go near it again.

I'm currently using Rylstim Screen Recorder. but I dont think it records sound.
http://www.sketchman-studio.com/ryls...reen-recorder/
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
derek.john.evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmixed View Post
BB FlashBack Express is free & lightweight,it can export to AVI,the paid version has more editing options

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashB...eEditions.aspx

Cool. Thanks for the tip BBFlashBack works for me.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
zyisrad

My bad on suggesting CamStudio. I used to use it a lot years ago. I forgot that it was on Sourceforge and Sourceforge is basically all malware now.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #13
unmixed

Sourceforge & Download.Cnet proudly infesting your computer since 200(?)

Their on my blacklist,sites don't even open with Ublock Origin
Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
toddhisattva

Default OBS-ervation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Hi Peter, I would recommend you to use Open Broadcaster Software.
It can be used to stream the video live or just save it as a file in your hard drive instead. You can define to capture all monitors or just one region, or program window, and your webcam at the same time if needed etc...
It's free open source and great
https://obsproject.com/
Another vote for OBS. A little "difficult" to set up but once done it records audio and video in sync and doesn't kill the frame rate.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #15
peter5992

Hmm.... no love from OBS.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by peter5992; 02-28-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #16
LB75

I'm also trying to use OBS. Anyone have specifics on the 'difficult' setup part?
LB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
Indemuse

Same here on OBS. I think it's a no-go. I tried it with voicemeeter as well and it simply doesn't work. Maybe Reaper will add a screen capture option one day...
Indemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Heda, how can you get OBS to capture a VST window?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #19
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Heda, how can you get OBS to capture a VST window?
I think you would have to not move the VST window, and then crop a display capture or window capture to just capture this part of the screen. You can crop by SHIFT+ALT+drag the red circles handles when you select a source.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #20
SiKo

Default Windows 10 Xbox app

Hi,

On windows 10 I can use the xbox app and use WINkey +G fto open the game bar. Here I can chose to record the app; if it's not a known game, xbox app requires you to check the mark 'yes this is a game'....

Maybe that can work for reaper too?

HTH

Si
Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #21
Fran Guidry

I just did a quick test using OBS to record a REAPER editing session where I called up REAFir and it seemed to work fine.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
XITE-1/4LIVE

I needed this to send videos to a developer today.
Worked perfectly.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #23
fonelab

Default screen capturing video software to record a reaper project

If you want a screen capturing video software to record a reaper project, you can try FoneLab screen recorder.
It enables you to record audio, video, and webcam contents without lag.
So you can record sound, game screen, online meetings and more as you want.
fonelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I just did a quick test using OBS to record a REAPER editing session where I called up REAFir and it seemed to work fine.

Fran
Hi Fran,
What did you select as your audio "source" in OBS?
Guerrilla Music LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Music LLC View Post
Hi Fran,
What did you select as your audio "source" in OBS?
Sorry to say that project was on a previous computer and I don't have OBS installed on this one. I'll see if I can come up with some info for you but it may take a while.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #26
Eliseat

I tried several tools to create easy screencaps of all kinds and oCam was just the best. You draw a green frame around the object you want to record. Hit your hotkeys and that's it. You can directly render to gif or any video format. You can make still images. Absolutely no problems.
Start the application! Adjust the frame. Hit F2 once to record. Hit F2 a second time to stop. Hit shift+F2 to pause etc.

There is no better way.

Check it out!

http://ohsoft.net/eng/ocam/tutorial/....php?cate=1002
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
SonicAxiom

I'd like to mention another method to easily create screen videos. This method makes use ot ffmpeg's command line capabilities. I've been using plenty of screen capturing software (BandiCam, OBS, CamStudio, Easy Screencast Recorder, VirtualDub, etc.). Unfortunetely, all of them had their quirks (payed, adds/watermarks, time limit, a/v sync issues, hassle to set up, etc.). I finaly settled on using either OBS (several audio tracks recorded simultaneously with the video, like Reaper output plus my voice on a separate audio stream to be able to mix them as desired later) or VirtualDub and video quality is fine. Both don't have a time limit.

I then read about ffmpeg and its command line capabilities. Generally, I don't like using command line apps. I prefer to have a gui. However, I found some example command lines suitable for screen capturing and I managed to hack together a few batch files that allow me to capture my entire screen or parts of it by simply double-clicking shortcuts to those batch files. I'm sharing the batch files here. The advantages I'm seeing are:
  • no cost
  • very quick launch of screen recording for a few different video resolutions, video image/audio stream qualities and capturing areas - everything is pre-configured in the batch files
  • no ads/watermarks
  • no time limit
  • full control over every parameter
  • fairly easy to tweak
  • probably lower cpu impact while capturing compared to using full-fletched apps
  • nothing to install besides h264 codec which you can use to also render h264 videos in Reaper

Here's how to set it up on Windows:
  • download x264 video codec from here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/x264-VFW and install it
  • download ffmpeg for your system here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html. Simply extract the zip's content to a location of your choice
  • copy and paste the following command line into a plain text editor and save it as a batch file (i.e. with the extension ".bat") to a desired location.
    Here's the command line to record the entire screen in decent quality in FullHD incl. mouse pointer and with aac stereo audio @ 320 kbps captured from an RME Babyface ADAT 1+2:

Code:
    "D:\Programme\ffmpeg x64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -n -rtbufsize 2000M -f gdigrab -r 25 -video_size 1920x1080 -draw_mouse 1 -i desktop -f dshow -i audio="SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) (RME Babyface)" -c:v libx264 -r 25 -preset faster -x264-params keyint=25 -crf 12 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a aac -ar 48K -ac 2 -b:a 320k "G:\Screen-Videos\Screenvideo_.mkv"
    You have to edit this command line to account for ffmpeg's actual location on your system and the path/file name of the recorded video!

• create a shortcut to the batch file on your desktop or your quick launch bar
  • double-click the shortcut to immediately start a screen capture recording with the properties defined in the batch file

The following command line captures a user-defined area (834x466 pixels starting at screen location 420,293):

"D:\Programme\ffmpeg x64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -n -rtbufsize 2000M -f gdigrab -r 25 -show_region 1 -offset_x 420 -offset_y 293 -video_size 834x466 -draw_mouse 0 -i desktop -f dshow -i audio="SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) (RME Babyface)" -c:v libx264 -r 25 -preset faster -crf 24 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a aac -ar 48K -ac 1 -b:a 128k "G:\Screen-Videos\abcdefg.mkv"

Explanation of the most common command line parameters:
  • -n (prevents overwriting an existing file with same name in the output directory; use -y to allow overwriting)
  • -f gdigrab (use video grabber provided by Windows)
  • -r 25 (video frame rate)
  • -offset_x 434 -offset_y 292 (grab part of screen with upper left corner of video being at 434,292; x=0 and y=0 -> no offset)
  • -video_size 1920x1080 (dimensions of output video, only use even numbers)
  • -draw_mouse 1 (include mouse pointer in video, change to 0 to not include)
  • -i desktop (capture entire screen)
  • -f dshow (use DirectShow filter)
  • -i audio="SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) (RME Babyface)" (change this to your audio device as described in next paragraph)
  • -c:v libx264 (use x264 to compress the video)
  • -preset faster (encoder speed)
  • -x264-params keyint=25 (force key-/I-frame every 25 frames, thus, once per second with r=25)
  • -crf 12 (video image quality, the lower, the better but also the bigger the file; 1-15 HiQ, 16-25 decent, 26-35 LoQ, >36 pixel mud)
  • -c:a aac (audio codec; alternatively use libopus or libmp3lame instead of "aac")
  • -ar 48K (sampling frequency of your audio device)
  • -ac 2 (no. of audio channels, 1=mono, 2=stereo)
  • -b:a 320k (bit rate of audio stream)

To determin which video capturing device and what audio devices can be used on your system and what their exact system name is, run the following batch command after adapting the path to ffmpeg.exe to the one on your system:

Code:
"D:\Programme\ffmpeg x64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -list_devices true -f dshow -i dummy
You may then replace the audio device's name in my example command line (Babyface ADAT 1+2) to match your audio device's name.

Only minor drawback of the batch file method is the inability to easily define a custom capture region. You have to edit the batch file for this. To at least facilitate this process, I'm using the free Fast Stone Capture utility to find out the coordinates of a particular screen area by triggering a screen area capture and then copy the values shown into the offset command of the batch file.

Have fun!

EDIT (2019-04-02): Meanwhile I've found the command line to capture 2 stereo sources simultaneously into the same video file:

Code:
"D:\Programme\ffmpeg x64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -n -rtbufsize 2000M -f gdigrab -r 25 -video_size 1920x1080 -draw_mouse 1 -i desktop -f dshow -i audio="SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) (RME Babyface)" -f dshow -i audio="ADAT (5+6) (RME Babyface)" -map 0:v -map 1:a -map 2:a -c:v libx264 -r 25 -preset faster -x264-params keyint=25 -tune zerolatency -crf 12 -pix_fmt yuv420p -ac 2 -c:a:1 pcm_s16le -c:a:2 pcm_s16le -ar 44.1K "G:\Screen-Videos\Screenvideo_.mkv"
The above example will capture 2 PCM stereo audio streams @ 44.1k along with the video.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 06-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #28
Edgemeal

Thanks SonicAxiom! That works really nice! I made an interface in VB.Net years ago to capture with ffmpeg with some basic settings, but I must of been using the wrong params because my captures would always playback at ~2x normal speed LOL!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #29
SonicAxiom

ha, ha! How could that be?? Wrong sample rate? Frame rate?

I literally avoided messing around with ffmpeg and basically any command line tool until I recently came across a simple screen video capturing batch file which caught my attention and made me wanna dive into it and add the missing commands to make it complete for my needs which is being able to change video dimension, frame rate, capture area, selection of prefered video and audio codec and their bit rates, include mouse or not.

Glad it's working for you, too

Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #30
winbe

Thanks, I tried to use OBS but ran in different issues, so I'll try ffmpeg now!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 AM   #31
heda

You can use ShareX to easily define the region. It uses ffmpeg to capture screen to make videos or gifs. You can also set a custom command for ffmpeg in Screen recording options window. You can even have different commands for each keyboard shortcut with different regions predefined.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
You can use ShareX to easily define the region. It uses ffmpeg to capture screen to make videos or gifs. You can also set a custom command for ffmpeg in Screen recording options window. You can even have different commands for each keyboard shortcut with different regions predefined.
Thanks for mentioning ShareX, heda. I've tried it a while ago. It actually looked very promising, however, though I'm fairly familiar with programs that offer an overwhelming amount of tweaking options (I'm happily using Reaper !) configuration is a bit overkill for my taste. The software is not really focussed and stripped down to solely handle screen video capturing. It's pretty sad, actually because it's free, portable and open source - three of my favourite features a software can offer. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an ffmpeg setting with it that produces stutter-free video captures that are lip-sync'ed on my machine while it does work without any glitches when I'm using my batch files that are virtually using the same ffmpeg commands.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 AM   #33
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
i'd like to mention another method to easily create screen videos.
Thanks a lot for sharing! I'll use your method for sure! It's super easy and powerful.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:28 AM   #34
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Is licecap good for that? Just looking for a simple program that can make an accurate recording of what I see on my computer monitors, so I can send it to my film making collaborators.
Thanks!
I was originally using ShareX but ran into problems with it recording audio. In end I switched to OBS Studio, which is really easy to use and you can define regions should you wish. Only thin you may need to do in Reaper is change the Audio System from ASIO to WaveOut - If using a Windows PC.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #35
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing! I'll use your method for sure! It's super easy and powerful.
you're welcome! great it works for you, too, vitalker.

Basically, I'm actually not saying that this method is better than anything else. I'm pretty familiar with common screen capturing software solutions and I'm actually using some regularly. The batch file method is just so much simpler and doesn't require messing with bigger apps once you have your favourite batch file configured let's say for simple full HD capturing.

I'm now searching for command line parameters to make it capture two separate stereo (= 4 track) audio sources simultaneously without merging them into a single stereo stream to mimic what OBS is doing (like Reaper output on stereo stream 1 and voice commentary on stereo stream 2). ffmpeg should be capable of doing this. It's just not easy to find working command line templates for this and hence, requires some time-consuming research. Anyone having an idea of what commands are needed?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
SonicAxiom

found it

here's the command line allowing to capture 2x stereo audio from two audio sources into the same video:
Code:
"D:\Programme\ffmpeg x64\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -n -rtbufsize 2000M -f gdigrab -r 25 -video_size 1920x1080 -draw_mouse 1 -i desktop -f dshow -i audio="SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) (RME Babyface)" -f dshow -i audio="ADAT (5+6) (RME Babyface)" -map 0:v -map 1:a -map 2:a -c:v libx264 -r 25 -preset faster -x264-params keyint=25 -tune zerolatency -crf 12 -pix_fmt yuv420p -ac 2 -c:a:1 aac -b:a:1 320k -c:a:2 aac -b:a:2 192k -ar 48K "G:\Screen-Videos\Screenvideo_.mkv"
As always, you'll have to adjust the code to your paths and audio devices.

additional notes:
  • I'm using FreeAudioVideoPack to extract both audio streams from the captured video to be able to insert them into two audio tracks in Reaper
  • For some unknown reasons, resulting audio streams are different from what I'm declaring in the command line! Stream 1 is recorded as vorbis 112 kbps and stream 2 is recorded as aac 256 kbps. I can't seem to figure out why atm. At least it is possible to capture 2x streo simultaneously, further reducing my need for OBS or other apps
  • audio streams seem to not be totally in sync with the video. I'm nudging them manually in Reaper.
I'm currently looking for solutions to the above issues.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #37
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
found it

here's the command line allowing to capture 2x stereo audio from two audio sources into the same video
Now it makes more sense, because usually videos need mic input + machine's output.

Last edited by vitalker; 04-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #38
SonicAxiom

it wasn't easy to find a working command. Hours of tial and error. A lot of folks will be happy capturing just a single stereo stream along with the screen video where everything gets mixed together (due to audio interface restrictions/simplicity). However, it's nice to have the option to capture both sources separately if necessary.