Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #43
just_in_tim3
Human being with feelings

much very it like +1
just_in_tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #44
airon

I posted another feature request in the issue tracker, that's really just a duplicate of this.

Just thought I'd mention it. If there are any ideas in it you'd like to include in your FR, go right ahead and copy anything you like. Yours has much more attention and is elevated.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #45
airon

119 votes and elevated. Seems like these ideas will make it in to Reaper at some point.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #46
foxAsteria

if anyone wants to see this docking (and) business in action check out adobe audition (formerly cooledit). this is really the only superior thing about that daw other than batch processing... everything can be docked and/or tabbed anywhere and automatically sizes itself in a logical way.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #47
J3FFR3Y2692

I LOVE this idea. Voted yes
Heres my opinion:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69833
J3FFR3Y2692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #48
pixeltarian

i think this threads needs mockups/screenshots.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #49
drfunkeys

Default toolbar in the mixer window

I'd love to be able to attach toolbars to the mixer window.
drfunkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
foxAsteria

I'd request to add an option to the FR to allow docking into the transport bar itself. Lot of useful wasted space there and as it moves position when going fullscreen and it's in the middle, it also doesn't suit simply floating toolbars over that space...
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
ivan.lt

Call me crazy but I'd like to be able to drag the ruler down to place it between tracks or completely at the bottom. Can it be hidden?

And the space at the intersection of the ruler and the TCP -- currently toolbar resides there -- could also act as a "docking target" so that you could dock something there (I find no use for the toolbar).
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
And the space at the intersection of the ruler and the TCP -- currently toolbar resides there -- could also act as a "docking target" so that you could dock something there (I find no use for the toolbar).
you can find absolutely no actions you'd like to use by clicking a button? you can put whatever buttons you want there, y'know... try sws toolbar arm buttons for mute, solo and arm: quick indicator and toggle for all tracks. i really like the set project timebase actions there too. worth a shot, cos you're not getting rid of the ruler anytime soon and thus that space...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #53
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
you can find absolutely no actions you'd like to use by clicking a button? you can put whatever buttons you want there, y'know... try sws toolbar arm buttons for mute, solo and arm: quick indicator and toggle for all tracks. i really like the set project timebase actions there too. worth a shot, cos you're not getting rid of the ruler anytime soon and thus that space...
I've got a keyboard full of buttons, as that cliche phrase goes, right at my fingertips! Left hand fingertips, to be exact. Mouse is not as efficient. For rarely used actions I prefer menus, why waste screen space on them.

Visual indication, yes. In fact, thanks for the idea. I'll go and look for more useful state indicators right now...
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
foxAsteria

no problem, and i agree, mouse is not efficient, but i often have my left have holding an instrument when i'm reaping, so i like having quick ways of accessing commands with just my right hand as well. mostly context menus, for the ones i don't use as often. but here's all my state indicators: snap, metronome, sws grid to x notes, triplets grid, dotted grid, solo in front, lanes, grouping, ripple, click, lock and i think it's handy to have a midi note kill button there too. plus you can create your own state checking toggles in the newish cycle action editor. just in case you wanted some more ideas...
Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #55
surasshu

+1 times a million on this! This would be wonderful!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #56
Studiostriver

Voted too,great idea.Reminds me somewhat of Samplitude X dock philosophy.
Studiostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
semiquaver

in Blender you can put any content in any panel, and also zoom them which is very very cool...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #58
Philip Tyrer

Default Vertical docking as well

Mixer is great horizontal but list-based windows like Region/Marker Manager waste space when docked horizontally. Left/right sides of main window should be dockable locations.
Philip Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #59
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Tyrer View Post
Mixer is great horizontal but list-based windows like Region/Marker Manager waste space when docked horizontally. Left/right sides of main window should be dockable locations.
They are.
You can already dock at both sides as well as above and below the arrange view. And divide each of these positions to carry several dockers next to (or above, in the left/right positions) each other. I think up to 16 individual dockers are possible each with multiple tabs in them. The easiest way is to grab a tab in an existing dock, drag them to and fro and look at that blue (in default theme) rectangle snap to the various positions.

Would be cool if every view could snap to any other. As of now the arrange view is always the pivot point, I wish I could dock stuff to a MIDI editor instead, or a mixer. But I'm sure that has been mentioned if not here then elsewhere.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #60
foxAsteria

every element in reaper from the windows to the buttons is a box.

why not just make the whole interface modular so we can create layouts on the fly without mucking around with walter code? the vast majority of end users will not ever try to learn code. all that really needs to happen behind the scenes.

this functionality could even extend into the menu customization (drag and drop) and even replace that clunky, feature-lacking editor we have to use now.

one thing i would for instance like to have is quarter sized buttons, so for instance i could see 4 different toggle aspects of the metronome in a one-button area.

or maybe use some of that wasted transport bar space for buttons...

yes and as someone else mentioned, i agree we should be able to snap any floating windows together and move them as a unit.

adobe audition's interface is almost like that, but not all the way down to smaller elements, which is what i'm suggesting.

i think the interface could be just a mosaic of parts which all snap n lock into one another like a puzzle. seems like that could satisfy most anyone's UI needs...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-03-2014 at 02:18 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #61
jimmey

Quote:

why not just make the whole interface modular so we can create layouts on the fly without mucking around with walter code? the vast majority of end users will not ever try to learn code. all that really needs to happen behind the scenes.

this functionality could even extend into the menu customization (drag and drop) and even replace that clunky, feature-lacking editor we have to use now.

one thing i would for instance like to have is quarter sized buttons, so for instance i could see 4 different toggle aspects of the metronome in a one-button area.

yes and as someone else mentioned, i agree we should be able to snap any floating windows together and move them as a unit.

adobe audition's interface is almost like that, but not all the way down to smaller elements, which is what i'm suggesting.

i think the interface could be just a mosaic of parts which all snap n lock into one another like a puzzle. seems like that could satisfy most anyone's UI needs...
I would like to see an UI like that as well. Reaper is wasting far too much space by default. Also its too static. The ability to place every element the way you like solves the design problem it has. For the most part, as not every element can be movable.
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #62
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
I would like to see an UI like that as well. Reaper is wasting far too much space by default. Also its too static. The ability to place every element the way you like solves the design problem it has. For the most part, as not every element can be movable.
yea, WALTER's cool, but few want their custom UI enough to count pixels for days...we all had to learn sound engineering for our home recording hobbies, how many are going to learn to code as well?

it's natural for code developers to think of UI as secondary, but for the end-user, it's primary. UI design should come first and then the code, IMO. otherwise we might as well be in linux, recording in some command-line daw. but that could be just my coding ignorance talking...
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #63
jimmey

Quote:
yea, WALTER's cool, but few want their custom UI enough to count pixels for days...we all had to learn sound engineering for our home recording hobbies, how many are going to learn to code as well?

it's natural for code developers to think of UI as secondary, but for the end-user, it's primary. UI design should come first and then the code, IMO. otherwise we might as well be in linux, recording in some command-line daw. but that could be just my coding ignorance talking...
I didn't mean to arrange things with WALTER. To me it is no solution for the average user. I mean positioning elements like it is already possible with many image editing software. Simple drag and drop + removing elements you don't want.
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #64
Win Conway

Walter is easy to learn for the basic things you mention, if you are not willing to learn it, that is your choice, the ability is there and developers spending time reinventing the wheel instead of just making the wheel alloy (Enhance Walter) is going to waste development resources with such a small team.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 AM   #65
zzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmey View Post
I didn't mean to arrange things with WALTER. To me it is no solution for the average user. I mean positioning elements like it is already possible with many image editing software. Simple drag and drop + removing elements you don't want.
agree. i don't understand the naysayers in this thread. if the naysayers worry about clutter, then do not create the clutter. you don't have to rearrange things. Adobe apps, like After Effects and Premiere Pro have done this for many years and everyone loves it. dock any window anywhere or float it. resize any window H and V by dragging an edge. as you drag a window, a blue transparent colored wedge shows where the window will snap to when you drop it. Love it. We need it here.
+1000

Last edited by zzz; 03-06-2014 at 02:27 AM.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #66
zzz

Quote:

agree, no code please. just make it all drag n drop with sticky edges that snap windows to the other windows.
zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #67
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

+1 on this too.

anyone who says 'just use walter' might as well say 'just use a tracker instead of a piano roll'. sure, a tracker could get the job done, but for most people its orders of magnitude more frustrating and tedious to do so.

Reaper already has some form of docking, with drag and drop. it only needs to be expanded a bit more so its not limited to the left, right, top, bottom docks, and actually allows you to arrange and size things exactly where you want.

one of the most important aspects of a good workflow is feeling comfortable with the layout of your software. a huge part of audio production is workflow. its pretty obvious. and nothing is more stifling to workflow than digging around in walter. not everyone is code/script minded. in fact the vast majority of people are put off by it.
matthewjumpsoffbuildings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #68
NessPJ

I'm thinking of getting a 34" 21:9 monitor. So +1 on this part.
A single wide monitor would really benefit from any all-configurable undocked window mode. Where there is a single window for Reaper and elements like the composer and mixer can be moved around and resized within the single instance, rather then seperate windows.
NessPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #69
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NessPJ View Post
Where there is a single window for Reaper and elements like the composer and mixer can be moved around and resized within the single instance, rather then seperate windows.
You can already do that with docked mixer and MIDI editor, place them anywhere you want...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #70
NessPJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can already do that with docked mixer and MIDI editor, place them anywhere you want...
That's all i needed to know.. now i can go out and buy me a 21:9 screen!
So -1 for me on this request then.

J/K

+1

NessPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #71
jonbash

Still crossing my fingers this comes to us eventually!
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #72
Mordi

I would like to see a redesign of the docker-system. I don't love the idea of having only one docker at any given time.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #73
EvilDragon

But... you CAN have more than one docker...
Old 01-06-2017, 02:19 AM   #74
vitalker

Yep, it makes sense. +1
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #75
ivansc

Havent seen this mentioned here, but the one crucial thing here would be that once you have your floating dockable windows where you want them, that state can either be saved or will remain unaltered when the project is closed and reopened.

Just the simple step of being able to make plugin manager and the plugin guis open where you want them (on the same damn screen!!!) would make life so much more pleasant.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #76
BRBWaffles

I made a post about this the other day. It's not enough to have separate dockers with tabs. I want docker windows that can split-screen between the windows docked within it. Primarily I'd like to have the Mixer and FX Browser always docked together side-by-side, same with the Track Organizer and Grouping Matrix. But, I can only get a couple of windows with tabs. This is pretty much the opposite configuration you'd want for a drag and drop system of any sort.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #77
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBWaffles View Post
I made a post about this the other day.
Did you read User guide at page 221+?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #78
BRBWaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Did you read User guide at page 221+?
Yes, and it does not support the feature I'm talking about. I realize you can have a docker window with multiple tabs, but it says nothing about an extra docker window that can show the windows at the same time. I want to be able to dock the FX Browser to the Mixer in its own window, permanently.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #79
EvilDragon

You can have that with docker positions on the bottom, but not to the right (like, on a second monitor). Example:

Old 01-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #80
Mordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But... you CAN have more than one docker...
I guess you're right. I've always looked at it as one docker, since under View you have "Show Docker", which shows/hides all docked items - but if you use show/hide docked windows directly you have four dockers (bottom, left, top and right).
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote