Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
jprykiel
Human being with feelings

Default Footpunch

hi there,
new to Reaper, I want to assign a midi foot switch to the record button. In fact, I have already done so, but the only problem I have is that it acts as a momentary foot switch. That is because it is sending CC65=127 when pressed, and CC65=0 wwhen released. So, recording is only active while I keep my foot on the pedal.
Is there any way Reaper could ignore CC65=0, or anything else you could think of to make this control work as a toggle?
Thank you for your help,
regards,
JPR
jprykiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #2
solger

What's the model name of the midi foot switch/pedal?

In general, check if/how you can change the switch behavior on the midi device itself.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
jprykiel

hi soldier.
it's just a standard sustain pedal connected to a second input on my master keyboard which I assigned to CC65 (portamento switch), which I never use. The only thing I can do is assign it to a different control change but this will not solve my problem.
I could use a mechanical switch, that would have the advantage of sending a control message at each push, but it's noisy, I mean mechanically.
So really the solution is a software one, i.e. make it a toggle, or ignore a certain control change value. Hope that can be done in Reaper.
Best,
JPR
Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprykiel View Post
hi soldier.
it's just a standard sustain pedal connected to a second input on my master keyboard which I assigned to CC65 (portamento switch), which I never use.
That isn't the switch then, momentary isn't the issue, it's the keyboard itself which assumes you want 0 sent when you release. When you tie the CC to an the action record (1013) using learn, it still stops recording when you release the pedal? Otherwise something like this is better in the long run...

https://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-M.../dp/B002YL81RW
Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
jprykiel

[QUOTE=karbomusic;1941807]
When you tie the CC to an the action record (1013) using learn, it still stops recording when you release the pedal?

JPR :
yes, exactly. But I wouldn't want to get an extra device just for that. My keyboard is sending 127 when I press the pedal, and 0 when I release it indeed, but is there really no way to make Reaper ignore 0? Or does creating a control surface give you more possibilities?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
jprykiel

hello again,
a friend of mine, advanced Reaper user, advised me to create a custom action to let Reaper ignore MIDI message CC65=0. he told me to use the following action:
" skip next action if CC parameter ==0"
and then put "ttransport record"as the next function. Well, it has not worked yet. Could someone chime in and tell me how to make it happen ?
Best,
JPR
Old 01-18-2018, 03:57 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
it's just a standard sustain pedal connected to a second input on my master keyboard ...
What's the model name of the master keyboard?

Quote:
... My keyboard is sending 127 when I press the pedal, and 0 when I release it indeed ...
Just to clarify: so it sends either 127 or 0 (and no other values in between)?

Quote:
I a friend of mine, advanced Reaper user, advised me to create a custom action to let Reaper ignore MIDI message CC65=0. he told me to use the following action:
" skip next action if CC parameter ==0" and then put "ttransport record"as the next function. Well, it has not worked yet.
So does the Custom Action currently look like this:
- Action: Skip next action if CC parameter ==0/mid
- Transport: Record

Or are there any other/additional Actions used in it?

And I'm assuming you did assign the pedal to this Custom Action (after creating it), right?

Last edited by solger; 01-18-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #8
jprykiel

hi Soldier,
my keyboard is a Roland RD3 hundred SX, going through a Yamaha CS2, a very old device which allows me to plug more controls. Nothing very special, and it works like a charm in other DAWS.
the foot switch as a standard sustain as I said before, so it only sends two values nothing in between.

The action is exactly as you describe, and of course, I assigned CC 65 to it, on the right MIDI channel.
I just wonder if this custom action is what I think it is. And when it says "==0", is the number zero referring to the CC number, or its value? I've looked for this custom action in Reaper's manual but didn't find anything.
Thanks,
JPR
Old 01-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
my keyboard is a Roland RD3 hundred SX, going through a Yamaha CS2, a very old device which allows me to plug more controls. Nothing very special, and it works like a charm in other DAWS.the foot switch as a standard sustain as I said before, so it only sends two values nothing in between.
According to post #2, I'm assuming the pedal is connected to the Roland, right? If that's the case, is it connected to the Damper or Control input?

And just for testing purposes: have you already tried to connect the pedal to the other input?

Quote:
I just wonder if this custom action is what I think it is. And when it says "==0", is the number zero referring to the CC number, or its value?
The number of the Action: Skip next action if CC parameter... Actions is referring to the value (0-127) - EDIT: see post #11 below - of the CC parameter assigned to this Action.

Have you already tried if using Action: Skip next action if CC parameter <0/mid makes any difference?

Last edited by solger; 01-19-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: reference to post #11 added
Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
jprykiel

hi soldier,
the pedal is hooked to the Yamaha device, but really, the Yamaha has configurable input jacks, so no matter how it was labelled in the first place, it is now sending CC65.

<0/ would mean anything below zero which makes no sense in the case of a MIDI control change message. That's what makes me wonder about this custom action. Is there any documentation about it?
Thanks for your help,
regards,
JPR
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
solger

Quote:
<0/ would mean anything below zero which makes no sense in the case of a MIDI control change message. That's what makes me wonder about this custom action. Is there any documentation about it?
Ah, Sorry, I somehow remembered these Actions incorrectly ...

After having a second look, <0 and >0 are referring to negative and positive values.

Here are some examples where these actions are used:
- http://www.stephenschappler.com/2017...th-mousewheel/
- At around 4:30 in the video: https://reaperblog.net/2018/01/advanced-item-nudging/

Last edited by solger; 01-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
jprykiel

Default Footpunch solved !

Right, so, to whom it may concern.
after clicking on the shortcut ad button, make sure the checkbox saying "close window automatically" is unchecked. Then press your foot switch, and then watch the combo box that appears. You have four choices, choose the third one from the top,
" Relative 2 (63=-1, 65=+1)"
that's it.
Cheers,
JPR