Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
jbraner
Human being with feelings

Default Copy some "theme tweaker" settings between themes?

Hi,

- Is there a way to copy some of the "theme tweaker" settings from one theme to another? Are they in the rtcongig.txt file?
It can be tedious copying all the MIDI editor backgrounds, arrange view background, markers etc etc - by manually making the changes

When I set MIDI editor settings for the background, and set a level of grey - that must be in a text file somewhere (rtconfig?). It won't be a path to a png, or there would have to be a png file for every possible colour choice I might make.

There -must- be a way to copy, say the MIDI editor settings, or the marker settings, or the transport text colour etc. from one theme to another.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Or do we just have to use the "theme tweaker" for each theme we want to change?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Ok let me say it again:

The *.reapertheme file (in the root of the *.reaperthemezip file) contains all the edits made in the "theme tweaker". You can take someone else's *.reapertheme, edit the line that references where the image files are (ui_img=foldername) to reflect the folder of the theme you're using, and save it (then re-zip it all as a *.reaperthemezip). Keep the original *.reapertheme as a backup though just in case. (All the data for fonts etc. are part of this file too, so you might want to only copy some stuff from one file to another.)

Take the file attached. Look for that line "ui_img=foldername" and replace "foldername" with whatever folder that has all the images in your *.reaperthemezip. Then name the test.Reapertheme file to your theme name, and overwrite the one that's in your *.reaperthemezip file with it.

My fonts in this are all set to Open Sans so I recommend getting that and installing it if you don't already have it installed.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
jbraner

Sorry James,

I was trying to delete this thread - as I realised that you *did* answer in the other thread. (I was just confused, as I was on my ipad rather than the music PC)

I got confused when you talked about changing th epath to th epng files - but I get it now ;-)

So thanks again - for the advice! ;-)

You're right that what I need is in the .ReaperTheme file (I just went and had a look) but I was confused how you were going about it.

I was thinking along the lines of just copying say
midi_trackbg1=8421504
midi_trackbg2=7566195
from the one file to another.

What you're saying will actually copy *all* the tweaker settings (from the "edited" theme to another one.)

I'll make note of this - and I'm going to put this reply in the other thread too (in case anyone else is interested)

rgds,
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
jbraner

PS - I don't bother re-zipping the .ReaperTheme file.
It seems to work fine unzipped and with the folder (you've been talking about) there.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
JamesPeters

I forgot that there's another way of doing what I mentioned, but without requiring you to overwrite any info within your *.ReaperThemeZip file. (I got so used to doing it the other way though, that I forgot.)

If you edit the theme with the theme tweaker and save the changes, it creates a new *.reapertheme file that goes into the colorthemes folder. In that *.reapertheme file are all the info (from the *.reapertheme file which is within the *.ReaperThemeZip archive) plus your edits you made in the theme tweaker. The line in that newly created *.reapertheme file that says "ui_img=A.ReaperThemeZip" (where A is the name of the original unedited theme) refers to the *.ReaperThemeZip archive file for all images and the rtconfig file within it.

So if you have a theme that's called A.ReaperThemeZip as the original theme (where A is the theme name), it'll have its own internal file most likely named A.reapertheme that Reaper refers to when you choose theme "A" in your options->themes dialog. If you edit some of its settings in the theme tweaker and name it B.reapertheme (which gets saved separately), that B.Reapertheme has a reference line in it ui_img=A.ReaperThemeZip. When you load theme "B" in your options->themes dialog, it uses the info from B.reapertheme and the rest of the info contained within A.ReaperThemeZip.

This method means keeping track of the separate "exterior" *.reapertheme files that accompany the "meat-and-potatoes" *.ReaperThemeZip files. It has no drawbacks other than that. So I guess the only drawback in that case is if you're uploading your theme to the stash, if it's two separate files you might want to merge them in the first manner I'd mentioned (in the previous post).

Note: In the case of saving your changes (made in the theme tweaker) to a theme of the same name without changing the name to something new (if you had "theme A" and then saved the changes as "theme A" again), it doesn't overwrite the *.reapertheme file within the *.ReaperThemeZip archive. It just ignores the one inside it, choosing the "external" A.reapertheme file (and the references to the images/rtconfig file within the archive). If you delete that "external" A.reapertheme file, the next time you load the theme or reload Reaper it'll use the A.reapertheme file within the theme archive.

(Bold emphasis added to differentiate *.reapertheme files from *.ReaperThemeZip files.)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 12-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
jbraner

Thanks for the advice. I've got my head around this and how it works now.
The harder part is working out which lines in the file correspond to which "tweaker" setting 😉

I'm still not really sure how those "overlay" files work, and why they're call "bg" (background?) when they really sit "on top" of what we're looking at - making it brighter or darker etc.

But I've got enough now, so it looks pretty good - and I can move on to actually learning how Reaper works 😉

(until I get to a new setting or parameter and need to tweak the theme again) 😊
Old 01-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
vdubreeze

Do you feel it would be worthwhile to have the tweaked settings as part of the configuration export in order to do this? There are some themes I like but their numerous neon waveform visual settings always need to be changed to something more usable to me. I'd personally love to have a way to do this more easily than editing lines in the prefs. since it's usually a spur of the moment thing of checking out a new theme, and if I have to spend more than another minute in the middle of working I'll probably not do it.

Or another way to export the tweak settings and import them via a script?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
jbraner

I think they are a part of the export already - if you tick all the boxes.

James' method is pretty quick - just

- unzip the new theme (do you know the routine of renaming the file to a .zip file?)
- save your current theme with a new name (newtest.ReaperTheme) in the tweaker.
- edit the new ReaperTheme file to point to the folder of the new folder from the new theme.

Having said that - you may need to tweak more, depending how the new theme is set up.

It sounds like you may need to just try the new theme and see if there is "potential" - then tweak away if you need to ;-)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
I think they are a part of the export already - if you tick all the boxes.

James' method is pretty quick - just

- unzip the new theme (do you know the routine of renaming the file to a .zip file?)
- save your current theme with a new name (newtest.ReaperTheme) in the tweaker.
- edit the new ReaperTheme file to point to the folder of the new folder from the new theme.

Having said that - you may need to tweak more, depending how the new theme is set up.

It sounds like you may need to just try the new theme and see if there is "potential" - then tweak away if you need to ;-)
I do need to go over it to figure how to do what I'd like to do, which is just change the colors of waveforms in all their states (selected, unselected, even and odd tracks) of a new theme with just those from my go-to theme each time see a theme I want to give a test flight to. Ticking all the boxes in the export config saved one's whole settings, doesn't enable one to move, for example, waveform colors over. I may be in the minority but I find that if more than two things need to be changed in the Theme Tweaker it's an unpleasant experience.

I'll give this a shot. : )
Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
jbraner

Oh, I agree it's a pain in the tweaker - that's why I was looking for a way to "mass migrate". If you just want to copy a couple of settings, I guess you could find them in the ReaperTheme file - but they may not be obvious.

If your media and/or track colours don't follow the tweaker settings - you could play around with the rtconfig.txt file - specifically the tinttcp line.

I worked out it's dark secrets here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=171193&page=3