Old 10-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
etl17
Human being with feelings

Default Full HUI implementation

I am about to undertake a more complete implementation for the HUI protocol.
I actually own a HUI and I would like to fully utilize the main and all the scribble displays, as well as, most of the additional buttons on the surface.

Is this something to other people would appreciate as well? It is my understanding that a whole lot of other control surfaces also rely on the HUI protocol as well, so whatever I do, it would probably benefit others as well.

Any thoughts, before I embark on this journey?

--Stefanos.

P.S. I am a skilled C++ developer and my plan is to start from the partial HUI implementation that is provided with the SDK.
etl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Stefanos, I'm interested in following your project here. I have a CM Labs MotorMate/MotorMix combo here which Carl Malone (CM Labs founder), custom built for me. It uses the HUI protocol.
At present, I am not using it and it is in need of some repairs (PSU issues). If you are successful with this project, that would inspire me to do some repairs on my gear and put it into action again.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
mschnell

Are you intending to do something thoroughly Reaper specific or a general OSC<->HUI converter of some sort ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
LugNut

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....he+hui+docsrl]

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=its+alive%21

Wow, could a used your help a cpl years ago.:-)

Hi,

I used midi translator pro to bidirectional convert hui to MCU and back. Those hui docs were the key. If I can help in any way, let me know.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,

Here is a vid I did using the hui/d8b and klinkes csurf.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
etl17

@mschnell: Well, I am not familiar with OSC whatsoever.

I only saw that the Reaper SDK already had a partial HUI implementation and thought that it would be fairly straightforward to make it a complete implementation!

@LugNut: Thank you for the awesome resources.

I have a couple of other HUI related projects that I have worked on as well, but they are more "hardware oriented". Somehow I still think that the HUI is a unique piece of gear with great usability and very deep functionality. Especially great when used with Pro Tools and Digital Performer. Also, very usable with Cubase. But the Reason implementation still leaves a lot to be desired.

I have also tried to get creative with the MIDI translator pro, but it really gets out of hand if you want to keep track of string displayed on the LCDs etc. I think that a C++ implementation (Reaper SDK) would definitely be much much simpler and more powerfull.

I am now however intrigued by the idea of building a generic OSC -> HUI translator. I guess I really need to educate myself on the OSC protocol....

--Stefanos.
etl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl17 View Post
I have also tried to get creative with the MIDI translator pro, but it really gets out of hand if you want to keep track of string displayed on the LCDs etc. I think that a C++ implementation (Reaper SDK) would definitely be much much simpler and more powerfull
That is why I mentioned OSC. Midi is not appropriate for such stuff. The standard interface provided by Reaper and other gear for this functionality is OSC.

In fact I did try MidiTranslater and for more versatility instead of using same did some rather complex Midi programming with Reaper JSFX to implement a the bidirectional communication with a controller board for Live playing usage.

Regarding stuff like LCD strings, Meters, ..., you supposedly need to either go via OSC (by an external program in any language e.g. Python - which a friend of mine successfully uses for this) or do a Reaper API plugin in C++.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl17 View Post
@mschnell: Well, I am not familiar with OSC whatsoever.

I only saw that the Reaper SDK already had a partial HUI implementation and thought that it would be fairly straightforward to make it a complete implementation!

@LugNut: Thank you for the awesome resources.

I have a couple of other HUI related projects that I have worked on as well, but they are more "hardware oriented". Somehow I still think that the HUI is a unique piece of gear with great usability and very deep functionality. Especially great when used with Pro Tools and Digital Performer. Also, very usable with Cubase. But the Reason implementation still leaves a lot to be desired.

I have also tried to get creative with the MIDI translator pro, but it really gets out of hand if you want to keep track of string displayed on the LCDs etc. I think that a C++ implementation (Reaper SDK) would definitely be much much simpler and more powerfull.

I am now however intrigued by the idea of building a generic OSC -> HUI translator. I guess I really need to educate myself on the OSC protocol....

--Stefanos.
Hi,
I forgot to say I think the latest versions of mtp supports osc.
The thing is, its easy to go hw to reaper, the hard part is reaper spitting back the info. That's why I went for klinkes MCU extension. No pings or handshaking....
And I also think the hui is awesome!
Gl
Guido