Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Lostz
Human being with feelings

Default Empty Items in Reaper 5

With Reaper 4(or comment the line "Version 5") the Empty Items looks like

and now with Reaper 5

How can I do to display the Empty Items as the previous version?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper 4.JPG (11.6 KB, 2329 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper 5.JPG (12.9 KB, 2261 views)

Last edited by Lostz; 07-21-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Images display.
Lostz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
cubic13

I will guess that you are using the default theme in each case. From this, the transparency of items is mainly dependent of two things :
- first, the way both item_bg.png and item_bg_sel.png graphic files are defined for a given theme.
- second, whether Reaper 5 is used or not. In Reaper 4, the items transparency and tint strength were dependent of the 'Custom colors' settings, which were accessible in the Preferences>Appearance>Peak/Waveforms options. It's no longer the case in the default 5.0 theme, as there are instructions used in it, which deactivate them. Why so ? because it gives to the themer a more accurate control of the items and tracks coloring, at the expense of a deactivation of the involved settings for the end user.

To retrieve the ability to set the transparency more or less as wanted as a user, commenting out the version 5 instruction isn't enough : you have to comment out BOTH the version 5 and tinttcp 298 instructions to be able to control the transparency of the items via the 'Custom colors/Tint strength' settings of the preferences again.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Lostz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
I will guess that you are using the default theme in each case.
No, I started with "Janne 2016 nc edit".
Thanks for the hints Cubic, now looks much much better.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostz View Post
With Reaper 4(or comment the line "Version 5") the Empty Items looks like

and now with Reaper 5

How can I do to display the Empty Items as the previous version?

Thanks.
Could someone please explain in a bit more detail how the item_bg.png file and transparency of empty items work?

I am using the RADO V4 theme, and even though I have edited item_bg.png, or even copied the file from other themes, nothing seems to affect the transparency of empty items.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could someone please explain in a bit more detail how the item_bg.png file and transparency of empty items work?

I am using the RADO V4 theme, and even though I have edited item_bg.png, or even copied the file from other themes, nothing seems to affect the transparency of empty items.
See the following setting in Preferences:

Appearance -> peaks/waveforms: tint strength for media item background

This works together with the item_bg.png and item_sel_bg.png files. I'm guessing your setting is at 4 for "unselected" and you'd prefer it at 2 or 3.

"Version 5" line in rtconfig.txt is also important. If it's in there it'll prevent you from making some changes to the appearance of the theme in terms of tinting. Plus:

-If "Version 5" line is not in rtconfig.txt, and there's no transparency in the mcp/tcp/item bg png files, the color of the files becomes the color of the elements.

-If "Version 5" line is not in rtconfig.txt, and there IS transparency in those png files, then not only does that affect the tinting of those elements but you can also use that setting in the preferences that I mentioned. (You may have to remove that line from your theme.)

Oh also if the line "tinttcp" existsin rtconfig.txt, that'll override the settings in preferences for these things. (You may want to change it to "tinttcp=0" to relinquish control of those tinting options to your preferences in Reaper, then change your settings in preferences including also for the Appearance -> track control panels.)

Depending on the theme, removing "Version 5" and/or "tinttcp" lines can mean you have to specify some tinting specifically by changing the PNG files (there's no "control" by the tinttcp line anymore).

I'm far from an expert on this, but I've noticed this much while editing a theme or two.

Note: I just realized that removing the "Version 5" line in rtconfig.txt makes transparency irrelevant for TCP/MCP background png images (instead relying only on color/shade of tint in those png files).

So yeeeeeaaaah...it's a lot of messing around.

Here's what I'm doing, and I recommend (if you're not already doing something similar):

-unpack the .reaperthemezip file you're working on and remove it from the colorthemes directory (leaving the *.reapertheme and folder of files; Reaper should be able to load the theme from these instead).

-open Reaper and load the theme.

-open the theme's image files you want to edit in your image editor while having Reaper open. Do your edits (and assuming you have an undo history there in the image editor), then save the files but don't close the editor (this means you can undo what you did to the files quickly if you need to).

-reload the theme in Reaper (CTRL+ALT+PageDown then CTRL+ALT+PageUp will quickly do the trick) to see the changes. If you're not sure of the changes or you just want the old version back, undo what you did in the image editor (you left it open, right?) and then save those files again and reload the theme again.

-once you're sure you're done editing all the things you want (but hey, we're never done are we?), zip the *.reapertheme and folder as a zip file and rename it *.reaperthemezip. Leave that in the colorthemes directory and remove the "unzipped" ones.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-15-2018 at 05:35 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #6
hopi

good info and thanks for it

one small point... instead of removing the version 5 line
you can just comment it out by putting a ; as the first character in the line

makes it easy to change back if desired
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
krahosk

Speaking of Empty Items, I was wondering if we can change the font?
As you can see, my idea is to display tablature BUT a monospace font is required for that.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Speaking of Empty Items, I was wondering if we can change the font?
As you can see, my idea is to display tablature BUT a monospace font is required for that.
That is super freaking cool. Do other daws have that?
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Jimmy James

Not only would it be COOL to have a tab measure built in. But if we could type words in the track, would be harass.
I would love to make some notes under a track. I would love to write in a chord under a track.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #10
Tomm

You can set the font to Courier New or any mono-spaced font:

Not sure how to do it in Reaper V5, but in V4 it's all in the Reaper Preferences "Theme Editor" under "Media item label font"
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (9.9 KB, 1612 views)
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
You can set the font to Courier New or any mono-spaced font:

Not sure how to do it in Reaper V5, but in V4 it's all in the Reaper Preferences "Theme Editor" under "Media item label font"
Yes! Thank you. It's working.

Last edited by krahosk; 02-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
israeltandrade

Well in my case I do want a "on your face" color for the empty Items. There isn´t even a Reaper5 or tinttcp line on my rtconfig file. I´ve set the transparency the way I want for MIDI Items, but the empty ones are very light. How should I proceed?
israeltandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #13
nolman

any news on this ?
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolman View Post
any news on this ?
I am not sure what do you mean. You have all the explanations.
Instead you can color empty items with other colors, because alpha (opaque) can be replaced via changing V parameter in HSV color system.
Doesn't Custom Colors feature in Theme adjuster help?

Last edited by vitalker; 01-08-2023 at 09:40 AM.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote