Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
inarisound
Human being with feelings

Default Windows and VST issue (please help with advice)

Recently I switched from OSX to Windows platform and I can't figure out why lots of my 64 bit plugins like Battery 4 or Alloy are not visible by Reaper.

Reaper see them in 32bit only.... even though I 100% installed lots of plugins for 64 bit.... Reaper dose not show up them.

PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!! What am I doing wrong!?

Someone who works with Windows version of Reaper and knows about placement of VST plugins and how they work.... could you please give me some quick boot-camp of most important file directories that I need to know......

and maybe give me some advice about my issue and how to install/organize plugins for future

big love and thanks to everyone <3

sincerely yours,
inarisound
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
eliot

The first thing is to look at the VST directories specified in Preferences, and make sure they are the ones where you put the plug-ins.

Next, if you have both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the DLL, maybe get rid of the 32-bit one (or move it to a directory out of the paths Reaper searches) to force the 64-bit one to show up. I've had to do that a few times when installers don't give me the option of only installing 64-bit.
eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliot View Post
The first thing is to look at the VST directories specified in Preferences, and make sure they are the ones where you put the plug-ins.

Next, if you have both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the DLL, maybe get rid of the 32-bit one (or move it to a directory out of the paths Reaper searches) to force the 64-bit one to show up. I've had to do that a few times when installers don't give me the option of only installing 64-bit.

Thank you so much for your reply!

How can you tell if it's 64-bit or 32-bit dll ?

I never worked with dll before.... for OSX we had couple of folders that we put plugins in... and that will ensure that all DAWs will locate them.

In windows I see the tendency that each plugins is trying to create their own folder and in various directories... very confusing.

I yet have to find out how and where to put plugins. (AXX folders, VST & VST3 folders)

I see that everything that is not 64 bit in Windows is located in C:/Program Files(x86)/
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #4
eliot

I only know 32 or 64-bit from how Reaper labels them, unless they're specifically labeled when I download.

Most installers should allow you to change the destination folder, especially for VST DLLs. To make life easier, I made a folder at D:\VST and everything goes in subdirectories under that.
eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
Stella645

Typical installations would be C:/Program Files/VSTPlugins or C:/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins for 64 bit and the same folders but in Program Files(x86) for 32bit.

Unfortunately you can't rely on plugin installers to put them in the correct place (except for vst3 which always install to the correct location)

So if you laready installed without knowing the different locations you might be best to uninstall everything and start again choosing your vstplugin locatiopn first.

Note that with 99% of plugs you can just move the dll after installation....but there is a possibility you'l mix up 32 and 64bit that way unless you're fauirly certain you didn't change any install locations in the installers.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
Recently I switched from OSX to Windows platform and I can't figure out why lots of my 64 bit plugins like Battery 4 or Alloy are not visible by Reaper.
Can you maybe copy & paste your VST Plugin path listed under Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST here, so we can see how it currently looks like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
How can you tell if it's 64-bit or 32-bit dll ?
Some developers (like NI) are using the same file name for both the 32- and 64-bit .dll files. So one option here to find out the version is to Right-Click > Properties > Details on a .dll file in Windows File Explorer and check the product version there. As example for the Battery4.dll: if it says x64 (for 64-bit) or IA32 (for 32-bit).

If you have both the 32- and 64-bit paths added in Reaper's plugin path at the same time and both .dll versions also have the same name, Reaper will only see one of the two plugin versions (if I remember correctly the one which is last added in Reaper's plugin path).

As others already mentioned above, some developers install their plugins to default locations regardless (without the option to choose a different install path). And there are also some plugins (like MPC Essentials) which require to be installed to a specific location in order to work properly. So it usually can't be avoided (to some degree) to have plugin files scattered over multiple locations ...

----------------

As a side note:

Although the example in this article uses Ableton Live, the shown plugin organization procedure via shortcuts (pointing to the original install location) in a custom folder can also be used with other DAWs like Reaper: https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...e--audio-10021

This can be useful for organizing some plugins which cannot be installed/moved to a different custom location without breaking anything ...

Last edited by solger; 01-15-2018 at 05:17 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote