Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default PLUGINS: Compressor vs Volume adjustment - How do I know when to use each of these?

I am still at a beginner level of mixing, so my knowledge of some terminology is not there yet as some of you.

As the subject of this post indicates, is there hopefully a simple way to explain how to decide when to use a simple volume adjustment plugin vs a compressor?
Old 09-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Volume adjustment is good for when you want the volume to be set at a certain level all the time. It's like EQ in that regard; you usually set it and it remains that way (static).

If you want dynamic or automatic volume adjustment, you can automate volume (including with that envelope-based compressor script I mentioned in the last thread) or use a compressor. So now it's a matter of what kind of effect are you after.

If you want a noticeable change in the sound character, you'll probably want to use a compressor. Most compressors are capable of making the sound distorted in ways that volume adjustment (even automated quickly) can't do. This distortion isn't necessarily something you'd consider distortion based on how it sounds; sometimes it's just fatter/warmer sounding, etc. (but that's still a distortion of the original sound).

If you want a relatively transparent dynamic change in levels, you can use either volume automation or a compressor set to sound as transparent as possible for the material.

Knowing how to make a compressor sound one way or another is a bit of a rabbit hole. It's worth going down, but my journey took me years before I was able to use a compressor to quickly/intuitively get the results I want. (You might learn more quickly, but be warned that sometimes it just takes a long time to get a feel for this kind of thing.)

If you want to try the approach of "transparent" compression, I'd recommend trying that script (envelope-based compressor). When you get settings you like, try them in ReaComp (and disable the item envelope generated by the envelope-based compressor). That way you'll get some visual feedback initially (from the script) and learn how it translates into what a compressor plugin can do.

There are lots of videos about using compressors for various sounds on various source materials. I wouldn't use the same settings on vocals as I would on a drum bus (I wouldn't even use the same setting on different vocalists for that matter), and I wouldn't use the same settings on a drum bus as I would on a snare drum track (etc.) Each source material will take some figuring out. That script will help a lot though due to how it provides visual feedback on the item's waveform. The sound-shaping aspect of what a compressor can do is a bit beyond that, but that's where videos (and a lot of experimentation) comes in.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
JamesPeters

I should also mention that volume automation can be done "per section" or "per item" or "per phrase" more easily than using a compressor plugin. You may simply want to "turn up the volume" for a few seconds in one spot. That's not a good job for a compressor since it's reacting to audio input all the time.

If you're wondering about what I mean by "sound shaping" with a compressor, listen to this video as an example of drums being compressed:

https://youtu.be/cQaCtT1P8vM

The start of the video is dry/uncompressed. At around 1:00 the compressor settings are more exaggerated to accentuate the attack, to remove the decay, and/or make the drums "pump".
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
serr

If you have just a couple spots too hot where you need to ride the level, it can be quicker and easier to just do that instead of dialing in a compressor to ride it for you.

If there are constant dynamic peaks that you want to ride throughout a performance to where editing automation to ride it would just be a mountain of work, grab the compressor.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
kirk1701

Mr. Peters has it pretty much sewn up, but I would like to add that you would AVOID using a compressor if you DON'T want the tone to change.

Compressors do add audible artifacts that can be pleasing or ugly depending on what you're doing.

If you're mixing a solo acoustic instrument, you'd generally avoid a compressor as they can bring up room sounds you might not want. Heavier compression can also affect note clarity.

If you're mixing something more dense, like electronica, heavy rock, pop, or metal, a compressor is good for moving larger furniture like drums, B3s, sub-basses, stacked guitars, etc. The distortion/saturation you get from this type of compression/limiting also intensifies these instruments, which is very welcome in more aggressive styles. Compression can also hold that aggression steady, where perhaps the musicians flagged a bit.

I've learned that it's usually best to see if you can't get the sound you want without compression first. Then if you feel you absolutely need it, go nuts. There's a tonne of clean headroom in 24bit, so you should use volume automation as much as possible. It will definitely distinguish your mix.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Larry Kriz

James nailed it.

I tend to use vol automation in cases where I don't want coloration (let's say... soft jazz or R&B). I want the original tonality of the voice to stand tall.