Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
tango
Human being with feelings

Default Midi triggering latency help?

I'm new to midi and am trying out Reaper. I'm using a laptop PC with 1.58 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, and for the moment not using a audio interface. I downloaded the Addictive drums demo. Using the virtual keyboard to trigger Addictive Drums just to see if it works.
I'm having trouble with latency. Every time I hit a key, there's a audible lag of almost half a second before the sample plays. Also when trying to record a midi track, same thing. (I did hook up and external controller keyboard with a M-audio midisport and same thing happened).

In Options menu under AUDIO DEVICE I set the audio system to direct sound, INPUT DEVICE to primary sound capture driver, OUTPUT DEVICE to primary sound driver. Under MIDI DEVICES I have Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth enabled for output. At the bottom of this menu I see buffers 8 x 1024 samples with latency of 185 ms. I've tried changing these settings and nothing seems to work.
Can anyone help this bonehead out!?
Thanks
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Try installing the free asio4all ASIO-driver, that should lower your latency considerably. http://www.asio4all.com/

Works great with the built in soundcard on my laptop.

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
tango

Hey Jonas. Thanks. It seems to be triggering a little quicker with the ASIO4all. I'll play around with the settings to see what I can do to improve it. Thank you!

Tango
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Glad I can help!

On my laptop I can use it with the minimum buffer setting in the asio4all control panel( = minimal latency = 2 ms) but ONLY if I check both "Pre-zero output buffers..." and "Request sample rate:" and set that to 48000. These two last settings can be found under Options/Preferences/Audio/Device

- Jonas

Last edited by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe; 06-30-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote