Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
samsome123
Human being with feelings

Default MICROPHONE background noise

Can you please suggest ways to clean that up or not pick it up in the first place! thanks
samsome123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Shrivel

Basically 4 main options that I can think of, in order of preference:

1. Make your room as quiet as possible.
2. Use room treatment, diffusion panels, rugs, blankets, etc to deaden the environment.
3. Reduce mic gain.
4. Filter it out with noise removal software/plug-ins.
Shrivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
Can you please suggest ways to clean that up or not pick it up in the first place! thanks
What sort of noise are you getting?

Is it continuous throughout the recording or sporadic?
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
samsome123

thanks shrivel, its continuous nicholas
samsome123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
egoadsr

It depend of multiple parameters, like your mic signal to noise ratio, and the noise floor... noise floor of your preamp...

Example : Shure Sm58 noise level is 23dB A weighted, signal noise ratio 71dB at 93dB SPL.

Schoeps CMC6 with MK4 capsule ( cardioid, like sm58) noise level is 15dB, signal/noise = 79bD

So, Schoeps CMC6+MK4 will be less noisy than Shure Sm58... Yes i'm a big Schoeps fan ^^, if only i have the money...
After that you have to add noise of your amp... or audio interface...
egoadsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsome123 View Post
its continuous nicholas
That's actually good! Continuous noise is easier to deal with than sporadic noise. If you can capture a sample of the noise by itself (perhaps a few seconds before recording starts), you should be able to use ReaFir in subtract mode to get rid of it.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Kenny

unless it's really distracting, I prefer to avoid software noise reduction like this. Whatever noise you're removing, you're also affecting those frequencies in the material you want to keep.
Filtering hi and low can help, but sometimes I actually find adding a more pleasing noise can help mask the distracting noise (sort of like the theory behind dithering). But like I said, only sometimes. The best thing to do is figure out what's causing the noise and fix it. Ground loop? running audio next to and parallel with electric? Using a USB interface with too many other peripherals plugged in? Ground loops are usually the first culprit though. Easy fix, use a powerstrip/conditioner and make sure all your studio gear is terminating at the exact same wall outlet.
Then check your gain staging. You may be overdriving your preamp or something.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Gerry G

Default I agree with all the comments above

Ground loops, mics picking up fluorescent lights etc can be horrible but we can get a bit obsessive about noise.

If you listen to some of the best vocal performances in the world (say soloed) they are sometimes full of extraneous noise which we do not hear because we are listening to the great performance.

I have stuff that adds the noise of a turntable record and it actually makes it sound (ha ha) WARMER.

I think it is the Jet multi-tracks where you can hear an amorous couple having sex in the background while they are recording. I am sure that adds something subconscious to the mix.

I was doing some vocals with a major recording personality once and I could hear my clothes moving loudly in the cans as the studio mics were so sensitive. The Recording guy was so good he could filter that out without affecting the quality of the performance. I think the engineer used filters to lower the sound of clothes etc a bit without trying to eliminate it altogether. Anyhow in the mix-down it could not be heard.

Sometimes we think it is the noise that makes it sound bad when, in fact, it is just that the recording sucks for other reasons such as bad EQ, narrow frequency range or mics that just are not good for recording.

The trusty old SM58 may fall short of a Schoeps on stats but they will not be horrible and will sound pretty good if the rest of the 'food chain' is reasonably good gear.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Fex

I'm a bit surprised that no-one's suggested gating the recorded signal, or splitting the track and removing the bits that are supposed to be silent.

As Gerry has suggested, most of the time, a little noise isn't particularly significant while it's masked by the desired signal. It's easy enough to remove it from the rest of the track.

If you can't be bothered to do it manually, place ReaGate on the track, and set the threshold to the point where it lets the music and, and cuts the rubbish between the music out.

If you're getting a lot of noise, to the detriment of your recordings, then you really need to find out why, and do something about it.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Gerry G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post

As Gerry has suggested, most of the time, a little noise isn't particularly significant while it's masked by the desired signal. It's easy enough to remove it from the rest of the track.
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. What I mean is that we can get too focused on noise that is insignificant like a studio guy I knew who would go very slowly through the acoustic guitar tracks getting rid of each squeak made when the chord hand moved up or down the fretboard. That was a bit anal (some of us thought) and we all had an argument/discussion/war about whether it took realism away.

That said, some guitar squeaks after compression sound HORRIBLE so the guy did have a point.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Fex

lol

I think I'd rather find a way to do without the compression.
I've been known to add fret noise deliberately....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. What I mean is that we can get too focused on noise that is insignificant like a studio guy I knew who would go very slowly through the acoustic guitar tracks getting rid of each squeak made when the chord hand moved up or down the fretboard. That was a bit anal (some of us thought) and we all had an argument/discussion/war about whether it took realism away.

That said, some guitar squeaks after compression sound HORRIBLE so the guy did have a point.
Yeah, the key is you don't have to use compression. If the acoustic guitar is the focal point, balance the level where necessary with fader rides and only use the gentlest possible touch if you still feel like you need compression...and that with a very slow attack.
If the acoustic is not the focal point but supportive in a mix, you can still use a subtle slow-attack compression and even if you boost the fret noise it could either be masked by other instruments or even function as a subtle organic rhythmic element.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote