Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 AM   #41
d.bop
Human being with feelings

For those of us on Win7, I stumbled upon a little hidden settings tweaker type of program.

http://windows7news.com/2009/05/27/c...ittle-tweaker/

Quote:
Current Windows 7 Little Tweaker options:

* Add “Copy To” option in files and folders context menu, so that you can easily copy them to other locations
* Add “Move To” option in files and folders context menu, so that you can easily move them to other locations
* Set Windows to automatically end task of programs which are either hanged or taking longer time than expected to exit
* Decrease menus show delay time, it’ll show the sub-menus fast when you select their parent menu
* Disable the low disk space check so that you don’t get the annoying low disk space notification in system tray
* Set Windows to not waste time in searching for a program which no longer exists in your system when you try to open its shortcut
* Disable “search on Internet” prompt in “Open with” window so that it directly opens the program list
* Add “Take Ownership” option in files and folders context menu so that you can easily take ownership of files and folders in case you want to replace them for customization purpose
* Speed up the Explorer navigation by disabling network printers and network scheduled tasks
* Add “Command Prompt Here” option on folders context menu (right click) for a quick command prompt opening at the selected folder
* Adds “Open With Notepad” option on files context menu (right click) for a quick viewing of files content
* Adds “Delete Folder Content” option on folders context menu (right click) to quick delete only the content of a folder without accessing the folder
* Speeds up taskbar thumbnail preview by reducing the mouse hover time delay
* Disables (Turn Off) Annoying UAC (User Account Control) and suppress UAC consent prompt dialog
I'm pretty sure it just tweaks registry settings. Some are kind of weird (like the UAC one.. don't know why that's there when you can change it yourself in windows.)

Maybe it'll be useful to some of you

Off to work, I go!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #42
tantamo

Have they added back the up arrow folder button?
tantamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #43
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantamo View Post
they have even better

Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #44
bullshark

Quote:
No they haven't and it's annoying as hell.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #45
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
No they haven't and it's annoying as hell.
You don't need it; just click the text where the folder-path is displayed, just like Jason has just posted.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #46
bullshark

BTW, I just moved back to XP due to Win 7 problems and a defective Vista Ghost image; now, vista is newer than XP, so why the heck do I feel like I'm on an upgraded OS?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #47
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
You don't need it; just click the text where the folder-path is displayed, just like Jason has just posted.
Doesn't work if the folder name you're in is longer than the reserved space for navigation.

Like I said, annoying as hell.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #48
livedead13

does Explorer have tabs yet in Windows 7? i'm using QT TabBar in XP, but it would be nice to have native tabs.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #49
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Doesn't work if the folder name you're in is longer than the reserved space for navigation.

Like I said, annoying as hell.
lol

cause then they have this:

this is the longest folder structure i could make:

or if you want

you can click on the highest one, and then the next highest one will replace it, just like an up arrow but faster.

really, its NOT annoying, its more ergonomic, hands down, its just you arent used to it, methinks.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 05-31-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #50
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedead13 View Post
does Explorer have tabs yet in Windows 7? i'm using QT TabBar in XP, but it would be nice to have native tabs.
No tab. Think Window '95 but with a cheap looking, screen estate robbing horror of a simile picture frame added around all your Windows.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #51
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
its just you arent used to it, methinks.
I thought i was getting used to it, until I was force to reimage my old XP setup; made me realize how annoying Vista and 7 are to use.

Was nothing wrong with the up button, nothing to warrant it's removal. If that was the only thing, wouldn't be so bad, but it's just one of a very large number of annoyances.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #52
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
No tab. Think Window '95 but with a cheap looking, screen estate robbing horror of a simile picture frame added around all your Windows.
...that you can move around simply by dragging the bars, double clicking wherever you want.

yeah, windows 95 alright.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #53
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
I thought i was getting used to it, until I was force to reimage my old XP setup; made me realize how annoying Vista and 7 are to use.

Was nothing wrong with the up button, nothing to warrant it's removal. If that was the only thing, wouldn't be so bad, but it's just one of a very large number of annoyances.
it took me a few times to get used to the up arrow not being there.

going back to XP bothers me... the reason there is no bar is cause you have the address bar and the search, which totally rock... the up arrow doesn't make any sense.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #54
charles.monteiro

is it feasible to do a dual boot between XP and Win 7 64 bit ?
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #55
bloodorangeonline

Yes, I'm dual-booting XP and Windows 7 64 bit. It works fine, and is easy to do as long as you're OK partitioning your HDD.
bloodorangeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #56
charles.monteiro

yes, and here would be the plan. Re-install on the Win 7 partition Reaper which I'm quite certain will behave fine but then re-install/re-configure my Spectrasonics and BFD installations. The data for both of these are on different drives. I just need to re-configure the VSTs to point to the appropriate locations. The issue is going to be how these apps leveraged the Win registry. I guess my main goal is to not have to re-install the data portion of both apps since it would be quite painful.

BTW, I only have 2 gigs of ram. I didn't want to just get another 2 gigs since I have been planning to move to some Win flavor of Win 64, initially XP 64, it now seems that the more likely candidate will be Win 7 64 bit. Then I'll be able to jack it up with tons of ram. I currently have Corsair XMS Dominators taking up two slots, I may have to loose those. Then there's the quandary of whether I should go to a Quad Core i.e. from my current Duo or go for one of those 45nm duo's. Haven't checked lately what the options are. I OC my Duo up to 2.9 ghz without any issues which got me down to 1.9 ms latency. Anyhow, I digress. The other reason for checking out Win 7 is that I have a Fujitsu u820 , a pen tablet, which came setup with Vista biz edition, it runs okay. Apparently, it should do a lot better on Win7.

thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #57
Tedwood

Default Delta driver stops shut down - Fixed

i installed Windows 7 earlier today no trouble. It all seemed to be working okay but I found I couldn't install the M-audio driver in the normal way. However i found an option to install it in XP compatibility mode - you just right click on the .exe file and the rest is easy enough.

Whoopie - my driver installed, I rebooted and I had sound.

After that though Windows 7 wouldn't shut down. Tried a reinstall, but no luck, so I thought it was all over for me and Win 7. Then I found this on the M-audio forum.

Quote:
1) Create a .bat file (create txt file and change extention to .bat)
2) Right Click on file > "edit" and enter following info:
net stop "Audiosrv"
net stop "AudioEndpointBuilder"
3) Save file as "Audio stop"(or whatever you want) to your main drive ie: C:\Audio stop
4) Open "run" from start menu and enter "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) and hit "OK"
5) Now navigate from right pain of window "User Configuration" > "Windows Settings" > "scripts (Logon/Logoff)" > "Logoff"
6) From window that opens from clicking "Logoff" Click "Add" then browse to where you saved "Audio Stop.bat" earlier and double click on it.
7) Hit "Apply" and close.
You are done
Window7 will now Automatically stop the Audio services when Shutting Down or Restarting allowing system to complete the process.

if for some reason the audio service doesn't start back up just do the same thing for logon but use "net start" of course and create a whole new titled 'audio start.bat" batch file, just so theres no confusion with what bat file is what. hope this helps you, it did for me. I got this off the windows seven beta forum from a user. It solved it but then my audio service wouldnt load on startup at random times so I added a net start and now works flawless.

good luck!
Very pleased to say it's all working - and shutting down properly now.
Early days yet though
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #58
Spyrow

Another one using W7 x64 here.

I just installed it in my laptop computer to test it, so far so good.
Reaper and 32bit plugins seem to run fine.

In my work computer I'll keep XP x32 until I feel W7 is good enough.

I dont really need any of the new features in W7 but... I'm going to need more than 3Gb of RAM in a not-so-long time.
So it's W7 or going Mac (I really dont like Vista).

Still waiting for a 64bit driver for my Powercore... damn, those tcelectronic guys are sooo slow.
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #59
charles.monteiro

Default the compelling reason for Win 7

so what's the compelling reason to move over from XP to Win7 64. Using more memory would be one i.e. if one needs it. But does audio perform better ? I heard that Win7 is leaner than Vista Biz, and so for my UMPC that would be a a big plus. How about the USB/midi issues one can get into with XP? Is it easier to performance tweak Win 7 in order to get the optimum profile for a DAW but yet switch to another profile for doing video editing etc.

thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #60
Tedwood

My compelling reason is really just to try it out before buying to keep up to date, I'm still on XP, not needing Vista but the time will come when 7 will have to best support for new hardware etc

It does seem quite lean and quick though and it's gaining good reports for stability.

Let's see where we are in a years time and I might buy it
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #61
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
so what's the compelling reason to move over from XP to Win7 64. Using more memory would be one i.e. if one needs it. But does audio perform better ? I heard that Win7 is leaner than Vista Biz, and so for my UMPC that would be a a big plus. How about the USB/midi issues one can get into with XP? Is it easier to performance tweak Win 7 in order to get the optimum profile for a DAW but yet switch to another profile for doing video editing etc.

thanks
More memory means that you have the ability to have more programs open at the same time without affecting performance. It also means that the os has less need to page memory to disk and back. W7 x64 supports up to 192 GB. But 8 GB will feel already very smooth!

Audio performance: not necesarily better. Depends on your audio hardware and drivers used.
USB/Midi: depends a lot on the drivers supplied I guess. My edirol pcr is fine on x64 W7.

You don't need to tweak a lot. Especially if you have loads of ram, you elimated the biggest performance killer: hard disk access.

If you have space to create a disk partition, dont hesitate to install W7 onto it.

It's also great in usage.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #62
Spyrow

For me it would be the memory thing.
RAM is SO CHEAP these days and man... I can't use more than 3,2Gb. What lame is that...

Apart from that I would like to see how's the stability and perfomance. Maybe I'll do some tests XP vs W7 someday.

But... I have one big question:

Is 32bit Reaper running in W7 x64 able to use more than 4Gb of RAM?
In other words: is that a limitation of the software or the O.S.?
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #63
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
Is 32bit Reaper running in W7 x64 able to use more than 4Gb of RAM?
In other words: is that a limitation of the software or the O.S.?
32 bit application cannot access more than 4 GB of ram. In reality, 32 bit app on x86 Window can only access 2 GB, unless you use the 3 GB switch which is known to have screwed more than one system. On an x64 platform, each 32 bit app can access 4GB.

If you need more than 4 GB on x64 platform, use the x64 version of Reaper(and x64 plugins).
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #64
tantamo

Quote:

Yes, it's annoying. It's completely idiotic and a lot of people feel the same way. It takes more clicks to get backwards, but the real problem is you have to stop and take your focus off something and think about what you're clicking - before you just click the arrow and you're up one folder.
tantamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #65
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Yes, it's annoying. It's completely idiotic and a lot of people feel the same way. It takes more clicks to get backwards, but the real problem is you have to stop and take your focus off something and think about what you're clicking - before you just click the arrow and you're up one folder.
and now all you have to do is

1. click the folder above yours.

lets count, how many clicks it would take to get 5 folders up:

windows xp: 5 clicks

windows 7: 1 click

what if you can only display 5 path locations at a time in windows 7 and need to go up 10?

windows xp: 10 clicks

windows 7: 2 clicks.\\

Or you can also use the back and forth buttons which do virtually the same exact thing in 85 percent of all situations.

its faster, ergonomic, and people just need to get used to it or RTFM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #66
bullshark

Jason, you know you can't reduce the feel and speed of an OS, or program for that matter, to a number of mouse click. When I'm thinking up and there's a button marked up, I don't have to read or analyze anything I just click on up. The way it's setup now it forces me to read and analyze the name I'm reading in my head to decide what to do, when all I'm thinking is up.

To me, it's the same relationship that you can have between an analog watch with dial and hands, and a digital watch with numbers. With the first, I can just glance at it and feel how much time I have left before, say, breaking out to lunch, and relate that to task I'm doing, while the second forces me to do math in my head, which is a different place and function. Of course, when somebody ask you what time it is, the digital watch is faster to get and give an answer because the one who ask expect a number for an answer, and that's what the digital watch give you straight up, while you have to translate the analog watch hand position into numbers before you can give an answer.

But the main point is that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have decide for us what is better, and screw those who don't like it. Another example of this is the scrolling program menu; I hate to scroll, and you argue til you're blue in the face that scrolling is better and faster, I'm still gonna hate it. Might seem unimportant, but considering the number of time in a day you do such a thing, why not give users the option to set it up the way they like?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #67
mio*star

did they make it look a bit classier, as well ?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #68
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Jason, you know you can't reduce the feel and speed of an OS, or program for that matter, to a number of mouse click. When I'm thinking up and there's a button marked up, I don't have to read or analyze anything I just click on up. The way it's setup now it forces me to read and analyze the name I'm reading in my head to decide what to do, when all I'm thinking is up.
its just a matter of changing your thinking, getting used to something new, that's all i mean. I had to get used to it too, now when i go to winxp i look for clickable paths and miss it much much more.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #69
DerMetzgermeister

Quote:
its just a matter of changing your thinking, getting used to something new, that's all i mean. I had to get used to it too, now when i go to winxp i look for clickable paths and miss it much much more.
I use Vista 8 hours a day. XP maybe 2h a day, at most.
I still think that the lack of "up" button is a mistake and I absolutely hate the scrolling "Start" menu.

Just my user experience.
DerMetzgermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #70
cotti

I tested Reaper a bit on W7, and it works perfectly.

But unfortunately it shares Vista's 6.x kernel, so my Edirol Audio Inteface (UA-1EX) had to be used with the Vista driver. It has an issue that makes the sound "jumps", losing synchrony, and it's rendered useless to me. I'll have to wait if they can fix it in Windows 7, that is IF they program a new driver at all.

Thus, I made a XP partition, where it works fine.
cotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #71
Finnish

Ok, downloading win 7 64bit RC1 right now.

Anyone tried it with M-Audio FW1814?

Are you able to attach your ADATs to it? I've read some posts where you just can't change digital inputs from spdif to adat.

And what about the driver? What version works, and how?

EDIT: Ok, installed it etc

- Vista (no SP1/SP2) 64-bit driver installed just fine with Vista compatibility mode and as an administrator.

- I'm not able to switch between SPDIF and ADAT, only digital I/O-option is SPDIF. Really sucks. (But it also happens in XP, so WTF...?)

- Clicks and pops all the time playing about 10 track session from e-sata drive. I also made some tweaks after that, disabling wifi, onboard sound etc.. Happens with reaper 64/32. I guess my laptop just doesn't like Win7.

I really wanted to give win7 a proper chance, but I guess there's no way, at least with this laptop. Damn.

Last edited by Finnish; 06-11-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Finnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #72
spinlock

I've been running Windows 7 RC build7100 64 bit. Much faster and more responsive than XP... seriously!

When I'd install Windows XP from scratch, I had to spend 4 hours installing/customizing it, installing service packs, applications, etc. With Windows 7, it was basically good to go on the first boot. My video card drivers, screen resolution, wireless drivers, etc were all detected and configured auto-magically. I grabbed the Vista64bit drivers for my Edirol UA-1EX soundcard which worked without any issues. Installed Reaper32 + Circle + FabFilter Twin2 + Helix, verified that all my projects started in XP still worked without any errors or warnings. Getting W7 up and running took less than an hour and it was effortless.

Why did I switch? I've been using SX3 on XP for a few years now... The switch to Reaper 3 inspired me to upgrade my whole DAW environment to the latest and greatest. Simply put, I'm just sick of using ancient software with annoyances I'm forced to work around. Going from SX3 to Reaper feels similar from XP to W7... it's all about the little things:

- when attempting to delete a file in use, W7 will tell you *what program* curently has it open
- DVD/ISO burning is now supported natively
- the start menu now has an awesome task launcher.. no need for launchy/executor
- WIFI support is much improved
- Dual-view (span) is the default mode for multiple monitor setups
- All the popular codecs are installed by default. no need for VLC or shady codec packs
- Many other little things...
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #73
spinlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotti View Post
But unfortunately it shares Vista's 6.x kernel, so my Edirol Audio Inteface (UA-1EX) had to be used with the Vista driver.

How long does it take for this issue to manifest itself?? I've been playing in Reaper for a few days now and have not experienced this

Are you using the 32 or 64 bit driver?
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #74
charles.monteiro

Quote:
once in a while things come along that constitute a paradigm shift. I'm not going to assert that this is one simply because I don't have the time to defend it. Just that its interesting to note these shifts in thinking do once in a while come along , that some things may simply be just better and that trying to provide every option and pleasing everybody is often not the right thing to do.

Again I'm not making any assertions and therefore do not invite any debate.

but I'll conclude with an opinion and that is that I personally liked the new navigation at hello.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #75
blurgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlock View Post
I've been running Windows 7 RC build7100 64 bit. Much faster and more responsive than XP... seriously!
Agreed, and it crushes Vista (the biggest pile of steaming crap since M.E.). I've been running Windows 7 64bit (RC 7100 build) for almost a month now, and I don't see myself ever booting to the Vista drive again. Boots almost instantly and is just an all around fast OS. I would take it over XP, and Vista without a doubt. Haven't had a chance to record with Reaper yet since I'm waiting on my Delta-44, but the 64 bit version does run.
The only issue I have noticed is waking from hibernation. It just doesn't on my machine, so I disabled it. Same thing happened in Vista too.

Just like spinlock said-easiest installation ever. All of my hardware drivers were installed before I saw the desktop for the first time. Yes there were newer versions for some drivers-i.e. video card, but still....I've never seen a Microsoft OS do this ever unless it was a slipstream for a specific PC. Very cool.
blurgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #76
Sigilus

Also using Win7 RC, build 7100. No problems so far except it losing driver compatibility with my soundcard, but I don't use that thing anyway. In fact I'm better off with it disabled.

Win7 is faster and sleeker than Vista, at least in my experience so far. Drivers that work for Vista typically work for Win7. I am using the 64 bit version with 64 bit vista drivers for Firewire, Displays, USB and Midi. No issues so far... I don't think I'll be switching back unless something very wrong happens.

Backing up all your data before upgrading is highly recommended. It's just good practice. If you do encounter a meltdown, it's just a 2hour re-install vs an all night mental derailment. This machine previously ran XP 32 bit. SP2.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #77
GermanFafian

I wonder how much will it cost to upgrade from XP to Win7 and how many options will there be.
From what I recall this Win7 version is the ultimate. Right?
Will this lead into a multitude of different version like Vista?
I thought that was a bad idea and now they are getting everyone all revved up with a RC version that could cost up to 400$ if you don't own Vista.
I'll wait and see what comes out.
Might as well wait another year to buy me a new PC.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #78
bernhardtjeff

well i went ahead and installed windows 7 on my 4-year old laptop a few days ago. 1.73ghz pentium m (single core), 1.5gb ram. it only gets a 2.8 in the windows experience index, but it runs at least as well as xp so far, which is suprising. i mean, i exceed the system requirements, but not by nearly as much as i do for xp. but yeah, install only took like 30 minutes, which was great. it didn't find drivers for my wi-fi, so i had to install those manually.

reaper seems to work just fine so far, too. a little popping when i use my zoom h4 as an audio interface, but that happened sometimes on winxp, too, so not a big deal. processor use for a couple projects i tried seems pretty much the same as it was on xp, and all my plugins (mostly freebies) work well so far.

i decided to give windows 7 a shot because i'll probably be getting a new laptop in the next 6 months, and since windows 7 comes out in october, i was considering just downgrading to xp right away since i don't feel like taking the time to learn 7 in case it turns out to be a dud like vista. trying out the rc ahead of time will help me make this decision, and i'm already leaning towards keeping vista when i get a new computer.

oh also, the ability to uninstall internet explorer on 7 without it affecting your system is great! i just did it yesterday.

Last edited by bernhardtjeff; 06-24-2009 at 12:34 AM.
bernhardtjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #79
Sigilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanFafian View Post
I wonder how much will it cost to upgrade from XP to Win7 and how many options will there be.
From what I recall this Win7 version is the ultimate. Right?
Will this lead into a multitude of different version like Vista?
I thought that was a bad idea and now they are getting everyone all revved up with a RC version that could cost up to 400$ if you don't own Vista.
I'll wait and see what comes out.
Might as well wait another year to buy me a new PC.
-Yes it's Ultimate
-Yes, there will be different versions
-$320 is the base cost for the most expensive non-upgrade version
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #80
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
-Yes it's Ultimate
-Yes, there will be different versions
-$320 is the base cost for the most expensive non-upgrade version
What he said

If you have XP or Vista , you can upgrade. During the next two weeks you can upgrade for $99.00. There's a Win7 Ultimate version but that in addition provides for language support and data backup, stuff which a lot can do without. I guess in a sense people that don't want to use Win7 in English are penalized i.e they don't have a pre-order deal available.