Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #41
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Man...this Echoflex Tape Echo is seriously good...making my other tape delays sound like toys...might be my final freebie once we hit 1k. Wish it had a few more controls tho... British channel pretty slick as well...damn. Other delays don't sound like this tho...what's going on?!

I went ahead with Leslie, Fender 1, Slash, Hendrix, StealthLimiter and White2a so far. Not bad for 100 clams.

Mother F the Fender Collection didn't include the Princeton, the one damn amp I wanted! Regret that pick a bit now... But oh, this Twin might become my new go-to amp so all is well.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-13-2019 at 05:22 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #42
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well I hated all amp sims until I found some IR files I liked. Waaaay more crucial to realistic tone IMO. If you have only basic ones, definitely consider this: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/inde...roducts_id=403 Pretty much covers all the bases.

But there's some great free ones out there. Trouble is, it takes a lot of time to find combinations that work really well for your style. But once you do, you can save the presets and I find I only need maybe ten good options for cabinets. A few always sound good with a given amp. Buying a pack will save you some time tho cos there's a vast sea of options out there.

It also gives you a more even comparison of amp sims when you have some go-to speaker sims.
Wow that is super interesting. So you don't even use the AT super fancy cab sim system? You what, just turn it off and use Nadir and IRs instead?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #43
foxAsteria

Yea, I use the global cabinet bypass. The built in stuff has way too many options and never sounds as good to me.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #44
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
As for Slate, ugh. I have Slate stuff I never use, I just don't like ilok. Part of why I'm even interested in this is it looks like I can replace the Slate VTMs. What's your take on Slate?
The IK tape sims are really, really good. I much prefer them to VTM. I was very skeptical about the IK tape machines, as there's not much in T-Racks that I like and find their emulations to be sketchy (at least the ones I had some years ago), but after demoing them I went ahead and bought them. Only slight niggle is a lack of a 2 track at 30 ips. Very CPU intensive though, so only get them if you are cool with lots of track freezing.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #45
Judders

Quote:
Wow that is super interesting. So you don't even use the AT super fancy cab sim system? You what, just turn it off and use Nadir and IRs instead?
I still use AT for some things, but almost always turn off the cab sim and use Redwirez IR's.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #46
foxAsteria

I'm a little disappointed that the rotary function of the Leslie cabs is built in. I was hoping to use the modulating effect and not be stuck with their mediocre speaker sims. Oh well, those amps are pretty cool in any case.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #47
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Man...this Echoflex Tape Echo is seriously good...making my other tape delays sound like toys...might be my final freebie once we hit 1k. Wish it had a few more controls tho... British channel pretty slick as well...damn. Other delays don't sound like this tho...what's going on?!
Agreed, the tape delay is marvellous, I've seen the faces on musicians and singers light up when it's been applied and it's just exactly right for the job. Priceless :-)

The British Channel is one of my gotos, as is the White 2A. The EQ 73 is marvellous too, also the Stealth Limiter.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #48
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
Agreed, the tape delay is marvellous
Just the confirmation I needed to pull the trigger, heheh.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #49
endorka

Nice one! Have you tried the 1176 compressor? It's well good too.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #50
foxAsteria

Oh man I have too many compressors... I'm still getting a lot of use from the CLA 76 (waves), so I think I'm set for the moment on that. I did get the White 2a and liking it a lot. Much better than the Cakewalk one I was using.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #51
EManBass

I'd say go for it!

I bought it last time and got 10 plugins for the price of one. IK Multimedia are probably horribly underrated, at least as mixing tools. I'm not very fond of their amps to be honest, but I do use them all the time. I'm a bass player and used my free jam points here and there to get some cabinets and such. They get the job done. I use them all the time too when mixing other bands, who usually send me DI bass. I don't have any nice guitar stuff and the stock guitar amps are kinda meh.

But when it comes to mixing tools, they are incredible. In the group buy I got so many of them, and I already had some that I got for free on previous offers (the classic comp, classic EQ, and opto comp which is my favorite compressor on bass) and I loved the mid-side capabilities of them. I also got the 1176 and the LA2A compressors with two copies of Computer Music, and they are all excellent plugins. With the group buy I got so much more, including the DynaMu, Master EQ, British and Black channel strips, Stealth Limiter... Some of these are the kind of plugins that make everything sound good just by putting them on your mix (and yes, I am matching input and output volumes). How can I tell it's not in my head? Put a tone generator in a track with a spectrum analyzer, and put one of these plugins before the analyzer. You'll see how they add more or less harmonic information to even a sine wave, depending on the plugin. They have character, they have color. I have tons of Waves plugins, the fancy new ones and such, but IK have become my go-to. Definitely for mastering it's mainly their stuff, usually Master EQ into DynaMu or Bus Compressor, then QuadComp, then maybe a Waves tape emulator (Kramer or the J37), into Stealth Limiter. I get amazing results with them. I can't recommend them enough and I might even buy some more!
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #52
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The IK tape sims are really, really good. I much prefer them to VTM. I was very skeptical about the IK tape machines, as there's not much in T-Racks that I like and find their emulations to be sketchy (at least the ones I had some years ago), but after demoing them I went ahead and bought them. Only slight niggle is a lack of a 2 track at 30 ips. Very CPU intensive though, so only get them if you are cool with lots of track freezing.
Cool, thanks! I was thinking maybe the Studer 24 and the Ampex 2, or is it a Pokemon thing, ya gotta get em all?

Guess I gotta get serious about IRs. AT is just so easy though. But the one tone I want and can't seem to get from AT, and there seems to be a bit of a consensus that AT doesn't do it well anyway, is that super high gain, super saturated, super smooth thing that everyone seems to have these days. Honestly it's not really my thing or my style, but it just makes everything sound good and I have a song that probably needs it and everyone else has it so why not me too lol?
Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 AM   #53
fred garvin

Oh btw critical mass has been reached, full 7 for 1 in effect!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #54
Judders

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I was thinking maybe the Studer 24 and the Ampex 2, or is it a Pokemon thing, ya gotta get em all?

Guess I gotta get serious about IRs. AT is just so easy though. But the one tone I want and can't seem to get from AT, and there seems to be a bit of a consensus that AT doesn't do it well anyway, is that super high gain, super saturated, super smooth thing that everyone seems to have these days. Honestly it's not really my thing or my style, but it just makes everything sound good and I have a song that probably needs it and everyone else has it so why not me too lol?
I got all of them during the intro bundle pricing for €99.

Best to demo them, as they are quite different. I usually go for the MCI 24 because it is flatter than the Studer 80, but adds a nice subtle depth and weight. The Ampex 440 is nice over the master, but needs some compensatory EQ. You might much prefer the other two models though!

A little tip: if you're putting it on a mono track, turn off "true stereo" to save some processing power, and actually keep the track mono.

Don't bother with these if you are looking for broken warbling effects, they are modelled after well maintained units, but you can push them into lots of distortion with the bias and level controls if you want that kind of effect.

...and as I said, you will have to freeze tracks if you want them all to have one of these tape machines on them.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:01 AM   #55
Judders

Quote:
AT 4 does sound much better in the speaker department than 3 did. Part of the reason I go for the Redwirez IR's is because I've been using them for years so I know what I'm going to get. I do like the ambience mic's in AT4, they can add a nice air around a guitar sound if blended in subtly.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #56
ivansc

Quote:
Yah, that does bug me, I thought their credits were like cash. They sell them as if they were. But to be fair, a lot of discount offers don't allow double discounts, and they do allow that with points, but not credits. AFAIK. YMMV. As to the rest, hasn't been my experience as their stuff has at least worked OK for me, but that sucks. Thanks! Caveat emptor!

As for Slate, ugh. I have Slate stuff I never use, I just don't like ilok. Part of why I'm even interested in this is it looks like I can replace the Slate VTMs. What's your take on Slate?
He talks a good game, but his VST developer guy seems prett erratic both in his coding AND his customer support
Old 08-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #57
Not_Here

just for info's sake; I was reading through the Forums over at IK and what's his face from IK mentioned that if you make a second purchase you can take advantage of the group buy a second time.... I was under impression it could only be done once... it seems not.

anybody played around with their AXE I/O ?
Old 08-17-2019, 02:20 AM   #58
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
I really like their Saturator X.
Quote:
I use it on pretty much everything

Quote:
. But the one tone I want and can't seem to get from AT, and there seems to be a bit of a consensus that AT doesn't do it well anyway, is that super high gain, super saturated, super smooth thing that everyone seems to have these days.
Yah, wow, OK, see what you mean. Had heard a trick of adding an extra saturation plug after AT to get that hyper saturated and smoothed out tone and wow. OK then. I feel like I should be able to get that just in AT, I mean you kinda have to play into it because it changes the way you play, but that thing is like an awesome button. Didn't even touch any of the buttons or knobs actually, although I'll certainly have to try that, but just whatever the default is. Nice one!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:17 AM   #59
WKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
just for info's sake; I was reading through the Forums over at IK and what's his face from IK mentioned that if you make a second purchase you can take advantage of the group buy a second time.... I was under impression it could only be done once... it seems not.

anybody played around with their AXE I/O ?

I can confirm this. I initially picked up one of the new tape sims and got the entire package plus a few more. I also ended up upgrading to Amplitube 4 and got another 6 including both Fender, the Mesa, Leslie, SVX2 and Hendirx bundles. Just remember that the additional ones have to be equal or lesser value than the triggering purchase.

I also used some leftover Jampoints to knock of 30% of each purchase so total was around $170 for 14 total.
WKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #60
WKG

IK has added another tier to this one, 7+1 now. Once it gets to 2000 you get an additional free for a total of 8.

It's currently 221 away from 2000.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #61
fred garvin

Damn. I'd almost decided not to participate in this, as it would be arguably more cost effective for me to reup my Max package for a little more which would get me everything I'm even thinking about here plus Modo Bass and Syntronic (? whatever their big synth package is), buuut it annoys me that if I do, then I still have to upgrade SampleTank to v4 as I want that if nothing else for the resizable interface and it's of course not included wha wha whaaaaaaa. But now maybe I do this, up ST4 separately, and they can suck on my Max package until such time as it adds significant value.

Anyone have opinions? Is ST4 a must have? As a secondary instrument keyboard user, does Modo Bass and Synwhatever really offer me anything I can't approximate from the dozens of basses and hundreds of synth sounds I have already just in ST3 Max?

Last edited by fred garvin; 08-21-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #62
Greg Savage

Quote:

Anyone have opinions? Is ST4 a must have?
No, it isn't a 'must have'.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #63
fred garvin

Quote:
Ok then, I take it that you found it a bit disappointing. I'd like to hear whatever you might have to say re that. And how do you like the new interface? I understand it's fully resizable? Do you find it easier to use?

TIA!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #64
DarkStar

Please note that ST4 is not part of this Pick&Mix Group Buy.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #65
EpicSounds

alright, I'm in
I have a ton of T-RackS stuff already. I used 32 jam points to get Dyna MU for $92

Choosing Saturator X, Stealth Limiter, and undecided on the others, probably One, DeEsser and tape machines after I get some time to trial them.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #66
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
IK has added another tier to this one, 7+1 now. Once it gets to 2000 you get an additional free for a total of 8.
Seems IK is not averse to reasonable, friendly suggestions. Noice!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-22-2019 at 09:09 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #67
jelloman

Dammit, I really do not want to do this...I have a huge pile of Waves plugins already, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing of these...

I think I could go for the T-RackS 5 and get 9 plugin modules, then pick some of the others, and have a pretty good bundle to start with...something like 15 plugins for 10.00 each...

And I'm thinking they may be better than the Waves stuff I have...

...crap...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #68
jelloman

BTW, are the Black and White channels both SSL emulations? I know the Black is, but I can't tell what the White is...
Old 08-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #69
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
BTW, are the Black and White channels both SSL emulations? I know the Black is, but I can't tell what the White is...
they're both SSL but different eras. I find it hard to tell the difference between. I'm not really a channel strip guy so these don't get much use, if ever.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #70
DarkStar

^^^^
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ck-76-white-2a
Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #71
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
They're talking about the British Channel and White channel, not the LA-2A and 1176 emulations.

The White Channel is the same as the British Channel, but with less noise and higher bandwidth, apparently.

Both have switchable E/G series EQ's, which means fixed and proportional Q, respectively, and steeper high and low pass filters on the G EQ (I believe it's 6 dB/oct for E and 12 dB/oct for G).
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 AM   #72
DarkStar

Oops. I blame Google - I picked the wrong link

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trwhitechannel/
Old 08-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #73
foxAsteria

I was demoing those two channel strips to compare and I decided I prefer the British. I don't hear the supposed noise, but it does sound smoother and more "musical." The White sounded more harsh to my ears.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #74
WKG

Up to 1999, only need 1 more to get to another freebie.

Somebody step up here!
Old 08-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #75
Not_Here

Id like to say #2000 would be me, but I'm purchasing through amazon to save $50 and have it by tomorrow.

But the thought is there.... Undoubtedly somebody will make a purchase.. it's payday after all.

*** update edit - up to 2033 12:44am pst

Last edited by Not_Here; 08-24-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #76
fred garvin

Weeell, I went ahead and got Lurssen, and used 2 bonus picks on TR5 and Sat X. Now to see if I want all 4 VTMs and then shoehorn in Leslie and/or Fender 2 for dessert. Urp.

If you're ready to dive in or looking for items to fill in the corners, here are some items I'm familiar with and might recommend:

AT4 or TR5 - If you don't have one of their major products. Even if you don't want everything included, having one opens upgrade paths that can save you a ton of cash.

ARC 2.5 - I've been doing "room correction" since before this existed with hardware RTA/EQs, now easier and better than ever. If you haven't tried something like this, the improvement in clarity is amazing. Good good stuff. Standard disclaimers, YMMV, do what you can for physical room treatment especially if it's super ringy.

Saturator X - Loved it first time I used it. Tried others, this is the one for me. Make track sound goood.

Quad Comp - There's a ton of these out there, many free, but when I really needed one this is the one that worked best.

Mic Room - Found it effective in getting different options from one mic quickly.

Fulltone - Got this for the 80s chorus which I like, a big part of that huge massively overcooked Lukather-type sound.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:30 AM   #77
ivansc

Quote:
Ha Ha I bought the bloody thing, couldnt get it working on my machine, Stevena nd his guys were very helpful trying to get it working, including their main support guy taking over my computer from California & still failing, even after Steven upgraded me to platinum version because of all the hassle. Istill try and install it form time to time, but still no luck. I have arrived at the conclusion that its something weird with my particular combination of hardware...

Incidentally, despite my negativity about IKMM business practises and lame support, I do still use T-Racks stuff I bought years ago and it still works just fine. ALTHOUGH THE REVERB THAT I BOUGHT SEPARATELY REGULARLY COUGHS ON A VST CLEAR/RE-SCAN.
Good when it works, though.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #78
jelloman

So, they're up to 7 free, with a possibility for 8 if they reach 3500...940 more needed to reach 8...

I'm still on the fence...
Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #79
Not_Here

I picked up the AXE I/O.
Just a matter of picking the 7 items, and if they go higher in the last few days, no worries cuz they'll drop another group buy in my accounts 'promo' section.
it'll be quite a haul when I do get down to choosing.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:57 PM   #80
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
I picked up the AXE I/O.
Just a matter of picking the 7 items, and if they go higher in the last few days, no worries cuz they'll drop another group buy in my accounts 'promo' section.
it'll be quite a haul when I do get down to choosing.

Good on ya. I almost went hardware too... How do you like your Stomp I/O? Almost went for that but then saw that they go for half price used, which seems like either a warning or an opportunity. What do you think the AXE will do for you that the Stomp doesn't?