Old 09-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #121
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
????????

Please explain.

I paid NOTHING for it. d'Oh.......
That is why it is called the free version and why I am very glad I didnt pay for the upgrade to the full version before trying it.

Wake up at the back there!

ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #122
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I paid NOTHING for it. d'Oh.......
That is why it is called the free version and why I am very glad I didnt pay for the upgrade to the full version before trying it.

Wake up at the back there!

Oh. Sorry. My bad.

I totally missed that little factoid.

Sorry.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #123
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
Hi Peter, to replicate my experience just load an instance of Sampletank 3 with no instruments loaded into it, into any DAW and see what RAM it uses, empty.
Yes I realize that this can basically cover some ground, but if people report their specific experiences it can lead to better troubleshooting. I understand why you may not be interested in that, I was just suggesting what the most effective path might be.
Peter - IK Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #124
stratovarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
Yes I realize that this can basically cover some ground, but if people report their specific experiences it can lead to better troubleshooting. I understand why you may not be interested in that, I was just suggesting what the most effective path might be.
With all due respect Peter, the most effective path here would be for IK Multimedia to get their programmers to code the VSTs better. I've been coding software for 24 years and while Amplitube 3 does run in Reaper, I usually have to freeze each instance of it in the DAW while I lay down other tracks. I shouldn't need to do that with 3GB of RAM at my disposal.

Now of course we're talking about Sample Tank here. Which is far worse than Amplitube 3 in Reaper in my opinion. The coding is too convoluted. It sucks up unnecessary CPU and RAM resources. At the moment, the free version of Sample Tank 2.5 isn't working at all for me in Reaper. It did for a while but for some reason just stopped loading up. And I don't have the time to try to figure out why. I just have to make due with something else. I tried Sample Tank 3 but had to uninstall it due to it crashing in Reaper. This could be my issue sure, as I haven't looked into it. But I don't have that problem with other trial software inside Reaper or any other DAW.

It's these issues that will cause people not to purchase IKMM products now and into the future. You know how competitive this market is these days and issues like this can ruin a company. Get on your coders' butts about scripting better plug-ins and then more people will have no problem purchasing your apps. And will be completely satisfied by doing so.

Personally, I've also experienced terrible support on behalf of IKMM. Rude phone calls, a promise of callbacks that never come, generic, auto-generated email responses and even faulty software and hardware that has been left unresolved for a long time now.

For the record, I am not a know-it-all and I am not trying to come across as arrogant. However, I do code software and am also a merchant. I know both sides of the coin very well.

Thank you for listening and all the best to you and your company.

Last edited by stratovarius; 09-16-2014 at 02:37 AM.
stratovarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #125
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Please let me know your ticket number, it is strange for them to not respond I'll bet something of a technical glitch may have occurred. I will have someone look into it.
Ok, I did receive a reply, Nov. 29, 2013. My mistake, apologies. I mentioned that I get the static on the CD Classic EQ but not the others, and they sent me back an email with the subject line: "Authorization Code Request Notification." Then in the body, I am told that I have already requested 1 authorization code and that I can request up to 5. Then I am given a serial number, Digital ID and Authorization Code.

Now, since 2 out of 3 of the T-Racks bundle do NOT give me static, how/where do I enter the information given above to affect only the CS Classic EQ? Or is the information given supposed to be for all 3 at once?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #126
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Ok, I did receive a reply, Nov. 29, 2013. My mistake, apologies. I mentioned that I get the static on the CD Classic EQ but not the others, and they sent me back an email with the subject line: "Authorization Code Request Notification." Then in the body, I am told that I have already requested 1 authorization code and that I can request up to 5. Then I am given a serial number, Digital ID and Authorization Code.

Now, since 2 out of 3 of the T-Racks bundle do NOT give me static, how/where do I enter the information given above to affect only the CS Classic EQ? Or is the information given supposed to be for all 3 at once?
Support should be able to take a closer look at both your account and your specs/details and give you a better answer than I could here in a third party forum. Even with an older ticket, they'd be more than happy to help.

That said, you should have a serial number for what you purchased outright but now that T-RackS is a Custom Shop product you should only have to open it, log in, do a "Restore My Gear" and it will authorize whatever you have in your account/registered. I know there are a couple of horror stories being relayed here but we have many thousands that have been using this short process to get up and running with both T-RackS and AmpliTube with great success for a while so I'm sure you and others here who are having trouble can be among those many happy and trouble-free users of IK products.

Also anybody that feels they have not received proper support or has IK software or hardware that they feel is faulty in some way is free to PM me directly with their ticket numbers and I'd be happy to look into what happened.

Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia; 09-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #127
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Support should be able to take a closer look at both your account and your specs/details and give you a better answer than I could here in a third party forum. Even with an older ticket, they'd be more than happy to help.

That said, you should have a serial number for what you purchased outright but now that T-RackS is a Custom Shop product you should only have to open it, log in, do a "Restore My Gear" and it will authorize whatever you have in your account/registered. I know there are a couple of horror stories being relayed here but we have many thousands that have been using this short process to get up and running with both T-RackS and AmpliTube with great success for a while so I'm sure you and others here who are having trouble can be among those many happy and trouble-free users of IK products.

Also anybody that feels they have not received proper support or has IK software or hardware that they feel is faulty in some way is free to PM me directly with their ticket numbers and I'd be happy to look into what happened.
Thank you, Peter! I did the "Restore My Gear" and found an update waiting for me. Installed the update and everything seems to be working as it should. PLUS, the update gave me some more plugs to play with. Like I needed that!

One of the last windows on the install asked me about installing ARC. I have no clue what that is!

Thanks again, Peter!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #128
Jeffsounds

Ok, grabbed Sampletank 2.5 FREE and it keeps asking me for a serial number. Where does that come from and why does a FREE plug need a serial number?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #129
DarkStar

Create an IK Multimedia Account, go to My Products and you should see it there: under SampleTank 3 Free, click Serials/Authorizations. Also click Sounds Downloads for the first free add-on pack. More to come

Also you will see the free AT3 and T-RackS Custom Shops, if you want them.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #130
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Thank you, Peter! I did the "Restore My Gear" and found an update waiting for me. Installed the update and everything seems to be working as it should. PLUS, the update gave me some more plugs to play with. Like I needed that!

One of the last windows on the install asked me about installing ARC. I have no clue what that is!

Thanks again, Peter!
You're welcome. You don't have to install ARC if you don't use it, but we also updated it for T-RackS integration for those that do.

I did get a chuckle out of this part of your post, because "I know that feel":
Quote:
PLUS, the update gave me some more plugs to play with. Like I needed that!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #131
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Create an IK Multimedia Account, go to My Products and you should see it there: under SampleTank 3 Free, click Serials/Authorizations. Also click Sounds Downloads for the first free add-on pack. More to come

Also you will see the free AT3 and T-RackS Custom Shops, if you want them.
Thanks, DS! I already have an account but everything else was good info! Got it authorized and downloaded some samples.

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Hmmmm... still asking for authorization and it is NOT listed in "My Gear" in Custom Shop... even after a "Restore My Gear"...

Last edited by Jeffsounds; 09-19-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Jeffsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #132
Jeffsounds

Quote:
You're welcome. You don't have to install ARC if you don't use it, but we also updated it for T-RackS integration for those that do.
I don't know what ARC is so I don't know if I'd use it.

Quote:
I did get a chuckle out of this part of your post, because "I know that feel":

PLUS, the update gave me some more plugs to play with. Like I needed that!
Glad you liked it!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #133
richie43

Quote:
I don't know what ARC is so I don't know if I'd use it.
ARC is some IK software....read about it on the site while you are there.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #134
richie43

Quote:
Thanks, DS! I already have an account but everything else was good info! Got it authorized and downloaded some samples.

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Hmmmm... still asking for authorization and it is NOT listed in "My Gear" in Custom Shop... even after a "Restore My Gear"...
It's not in custom shop. The serial is in "My Products" when you are logged into your account on the website.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #135
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
It's not in custom shop. The serial is in "My Products" when you are logged into your account on the website.
Right. That's where I got the serial number which I (supposedly successfully) entered into the Authorization Manager. Guess I'll go through the process again...

The Free T-Racks shows up in Custom Shop and so does Amplitube, which I have NOT installed so I just kind of figured Sampletank would show up there as well once the authorization works...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #136
Stringer

I also have most of the ST 2 content including Miroslav from a group buy a few years ago. Now I am setting up a Win7 64 bit machine. If the free ST 3 demo won't import content, I guess the only way to use any of what I already have is to buy the upgrade to the full ST 3. I am leery of doing that because even when I had it all working, I tended to use Kontact instead.

The only other IK product that I had was Amplitube Fender, which I used a lot. But now I have S-Gear, so I might not install it. Setting up a new machine is making me think about what I really use and try to get rid of the clutter.

If the ST 3 demo would allow use of the previous content ST 2 content I would probably try it. It seems a bit unfair that they have left old customers with new machines with gigabytes of unusable samples.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #137
KevinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I also have most of the ST 2 content including Miroslav from a group buy a few years ago. Now I am setting up a Win7 64 bit machine. If the free ST 3 demo won't import content, I guess the only way to use any of what I already have is to buy the upgrade to the full ST 3.

Snip.
32 bit ST2 runs quite well for me in 64 bit Reaper, using Reapers bit bridge, fwiw.
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #138
Peter - IK Multimedia

For those interested, we have posted some more new sounds for SampleTank 3 Free: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletank3free
Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #139
Stringer

I tried to load Amplitube Fender but the download linked to Amplitube 3, so I couldn't authorize it. I contacted support, and they sent me a somewhat confusing message saying I should download Custom Shop and "restore my gear." I did that, but that didn't fix my authorization with Amplitube. Custom Shop shows that I have bought all the individual amps and processors that came with Amplitube Fender, but I have no idea how to use them. Custom Shop is a flashing mess of ads for individual simulations. I guess the new business model is to buy everything a la carte.

I don't think I will try SampleTank 3.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #140
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I tried to load Amplitube Fender but the download linked to Amplitube 3, so I couldn't authorize it. I contacted support, and they sent me a somewhat confusing message saying I should download Custom Shop and "restore my gear." I did that, but that didn't fix my authorization with Amplitube. Custom Shop shows that I have bought all the individual amps and processors that came with Amplitube Fender, but I have no idea how to use them. Custom Shop is a flashing mess of ads for individual simulations. I guess the new business model is to buy everything a la carte.

I don't think I will try SampleTank 3.
AmpliTube Fender models are part of AmpliTube Custom Shop which is the latest version so you get the Fender models you registered plus any additional features that have been added since (multiple moveable microphones, the improved room and cab simulations, 64-bit compatibility) via AmplITube custom Shop. The only reason you'd need to open the Custom Shop app itself is to restore your gear or purchase new gear a la carte. The application/plugin itself works like AmpliTube has in the past. Just open it and browse/navigate to your Fender models (they will have their own submenu) and you should be cooking with gas.

I don't see how that has to do with SampleTank 3 at all but thank you for sharing your sentiments there too. SampleTank 3 is a separate product and is not a Custom Shop product.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #141
TimOBrien

We'll i finally got my upgrade disks and started installation (I think my retailer, I won't say who, lost my upgrade order and finally found it - I did get the $99 price). The only problem so far is the incredible slowness with each disc taking well over an hour to install to my very fast Glyph drive.

Hopefully by tomorrow I can start testing it.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #142
Peter - IK Multimedia

For those interested (especially anybody with the qualifying hardware with which it bundles retroactively) we have released SampleTank 3 SE: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4774
Old 10-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #143
TimOBrien

After a few days testing, I must say I'm really impressed with the content and quality of ST3.

And unlike Kontakt or Garritan JABB, it's very windsynth friendly.
Really want to thank the IK team for that.
The other samplers require require using midi utilities to recognize the breath control CC's and play any notes at all from my Yamaha WX-5; with ST3 it just worked.

Well done, guys.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #144
Jacos

On a Mac here. I just downloaded ST3 Free Sounds Installers 1, 2 and 3, and they seemed to install alright by default to IK Multimedia Application Support -- but scan anyone help me access the sounds in the (ST3 Free) UI? The piano only is visible in the left panel, whether as standalone or in Reaper. With previous ST Free Sounds downloads I have managed to see more sounds FOLDERS, though at that time I could not see individual sounds in the folders. But this time I am confident those sounds are accessible somewhere....help please?
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #145
DarkStar

Click the circular arrow in the ST3 Browser to rebuild the database?

Double-check your disk to see what folders are in the ST3 Instrument Library?

If not all the instruments are there, they have been installed somewhere-else; do a full Search to find them. You may be able to move them into the ST3 Instruments (and Samples) folders.

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-05-2014 at 12:51 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #146
Jacos

Thanks DS, I have now clicked on circ. arrow and was thus able to load the ST Free sounds that showed up...a lot

But I wonder where the new, and obviously functioning, Sounds/samples/instruments folder/s is?

In "Library/App Support" (In Mac, "hidden" ie viewed via alt/Go Menu) is an IK Multimedia folder created yesterday, containing only a folder,"Project". This contains 1 .st3p file and 1 empty folder "Audio". I guess this is the correct installation of the ST Free Player.

Searching my disc I found another IK Multimedia folder, probably from previous downloads and attempted installations, containing more IK Free sounds. This folder may be from my earlier downloads and attempted installations of ST Free. It is in a place called "Shared". I'm not sure where that is, as it doesn't show up in "Find". However, I can move that IK folder or its contents, if I know how the sounds should be labelled and where stored. I gather from googling generally that correct location of Sounds in Mac/IK installations is an issue, but I can't find up to date advice on where they should be. However I could try putting them in App support/IK Multimedia if you can tell me the name their containing folder should have?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #147
Jacos

Update- have now found the Shared folder (nothing in there but App Support folders for assorted apps that have apparently installed there, incl ST3 sounds - now I know).

So that is where the newly-installed Free Sounds are working from. Apparently they do not include the previously-"installed" Free MP sounds. I wonder if I can somehow amalgamate those folders, or alert ST3 to the presence of the MP sounds?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #148
DarkStar

I do not know where the folders are on Macs.

If you click the gear button in the top-right corner of ST3 you will see the "Settings" window - that will show you where the instruments are. I think that you you should have an "SampleTank 3" folder, containing "Instruments" and "Samples" folders, a few .db files and a few other things.

That "Project" folder and .st3p file is something-else, not sure what (it's in AppData/Roaming/... here. on Windows 7).

ST3 Free can ONLY use its own instruments; it cannot Import any ST2, MP etc instruments. New ST3 Free instruments are released nearly every week, for the moment. Check your ST3 Free entry in your User Area.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #149
Jacos

Thanks for all that DarkStar; yup, have now found the Prefs and Browse path in the Settings. Since the path "User/IK" appears to be working I'll leave the sounds there for now.
Are you sure ST3Free can't play the free MP sounds that came with ST2Free? Is .st3i their new format, and older ones don't work in the ST3 player? Oh well. I'm looking forward to trying the percussion.

Last edited by Jacos; 10-05-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:19 AM   #150
Nip

Quote:
For those interested (especially anybody with the qualifying hardware with which it bundles retroactively) we have released SampleTank 3 SE: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4774
I bought Piano Collection and had ST1 LE, with that. That 32-bit player does not bridge well to 64-bit with anything I tried.

Are there a 64bit alternative to make this library play - without paying again for the same product?

ST3 LE or something?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #151
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacos View Post
Thanks for all that DarkStar; yup, have now found the Prefs and Browse path in the Settings. Since the path "User/IK" appears to be working I'll leave the sounds there for now.
Are you sure ST3Free can't play the free MP sounds that came with ST2Free? Is .st3i their new format, and older ones don't work in the ST3 player? Oh well. I'm looking forward to trying the percussion.
Yes, I'm sure. If you want to play MP sounds in Reaper, you could use MP itself (it's a 32-bit plug-in) in Reaper 32-bit or get SampleTank 3 SE which will Import the MP instruments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
I bought Piano Collection and had ST1 LE, with that. That 32-bit player does not bridge well to 64-bit with anything I tried.

Are there a 64bit alternative to make this library play - without paying again for the same product?

ST3 LE or something?

Thanks.
Not for free, no. You could use ST1 in Reaper 32-bit, perhaps? To play instruments other than the ST3 Free ones, you'll need ST3 SE, as above.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3se/
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #152
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

Not for free, no. You could use ST1 in Reaper 32-bit, perhaps? To play instruments other than the ST3 Free ones, you'll need ST3 SE, as above.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3se/
Thanks.

Maybe they should extend the customer care department a bit - and old libraries can be run in the free ST3 player.

I looked at ST2 in 2010(I think it was) and it was still only 32-bit. And no compliance with Windows logo - so you need to run host as admin etc.

ST3 is only 64-bit, they ditched 32-bit alltogether.

A bit odd approach to an ever changing technological platform, kind of.

NI Kontakt player latest version I think play the older(even 3rd party) libraries. That is how it should be, really.

Having to pay again - then something is wrong regarding customer care.

But to mention good thing about IK, my old account from 10 years back still worked to log right in and find my serials and stuff.

And Piano Collection was really well implemented and sounding for the size of it all. And easy to get just a little cutoff depending on velocity - simulating being more multisampled that it really is - and getting a softer touch playing soft.

So maybe reconsider IK - make registered products available in ST3 player?

I'd rather put money for ST3 into PianoTeq or something.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #153
suleiman

While chking out the ST 3free acoustic kit i saw that it is single stereo out only.

Is there any way to change this ?

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #154
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Thanks.

Maybe they should extend the customer care department a bit - and old libraries can be run in the free ST3 player.

I looked at ST2 in 2010(I think it was) and it was still only 32-bit. And no compliance with Windows logo - so you need to run host as admin etc.

ST3 is only 64-bit, they ditched 32-bit alltogether.

A bit odd approach to an ever changing technological platform, kind of.

NI Kontakt player latest version I think play the older(even 3rd party) libraries. That is how it should be, really.

Having to pay again - then something is wrong regarding customer care.

But to mention good thing about IK, my old account from 10 years back still worked to log right in and find my serials and stuff.

And Piano Collection was really well implemented and sounding for the size of it all. And easy to get just a little cutoff depending on velocity - simulating being more multisampled that it really is - and getting a softer touch playing soft.

So maybe reconsider IK - make registered products available in ST3 player?

I'd rather put money for ST3 into PianoTeq or something.
We offered a very low-priced preorder upgrade and crossgrade pricing as well as an extended Introductory pricing. You are not paying again for the same product - SampleTank 1 and 2 were available for years of use in 32-bit form (before 64-bit DAWs were around) and was never sold as a 64-bit product. We communicated that SampleTank 3 was going to be the 64-bit version required to use those legacy libraries in 64-bit environments long before release. SampleTank 3 is a completely new full version, rewritten from the ground up but we did offer low-price upgrades and crossgrades and have now added SampleTank 3 SE for another lower-priced option for those that want to import without requiring a purchase of the full version.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #155
Peter - IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
While chking out the ST 3free acoustic kit i saw that it is single stereo out only.

Is there any way to change this ?
There are instruments that contain kit elements (snares, kicks, toms, etc) that you can load on individual tracks and route separately in your DAW. The full kits are routed as stereo outs.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #156
Nip

Quote:
We offered a very low-priced preorder upgrade and crossgrade pricing as well as an extended Introductory pricing. You are not paying again for the same product - SampleTank 1 and 2 were available for years of use in 32-bit form (before 64-bit DAWs were around) and was never sold as a 64-bit product. We communicated that SampleTank 3 was going to be the 64-bit version required to use those legacy libraries in 64-bit environments long before release. SampleTank 3 is a completely new full version, rewritten from the ground up but we did offer low-price upgrades and crossgrades and have now added SampleTank 3 SE for another lower-priced option for those that want to import without requiring a purchase of the full version.
Thanks.

But would it hurt so much to offer existing products to import and register in the ST3 free player?

You offer non-customers to get a free - basically ST3 - player and some free libraries.

But you don't offer existing customers a player that works for existing products they bought without having to pay again.

Can't you see this is not logical - nor good customer care.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #157
cprompt

Quote:
But would it hurt so much to offer existing products to import and register in the ST3 free player?
So, just to get this straight... you bought the piano collection years ago for ST1. Now you want to use the completely new, 64bit only, ST3 free version to play that library?

Hey, I have a ton of those ST2 libraries I would love to play in ST3. I don't expect IK to give me the player for free and also support those old libraries for free. I have no problem in paying for ST3 if I also want to use those libraries in a 64 bit sampler. Of course, music is a hobby and I can't afford nor justify ST3 so I'll still use ST2. It works, it's ok, even bridged.

The free version of Kontakt may play old libraries, but you still have to buy the full product if you want to use it for more than 30 minutes at a time, right?

I don't expect any company to give me free stuff if it is, in effect, a brand new product. Bug fixes and minor updates yes, but not a whole new product. Even NI will charge you for an update to go from Kontakt 4 to Kontakt 5.
cprompt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #158
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
So, just to get this straight... you bought the piano collection years ago for ST1. Now you want to use the completely new, 64bit only, ST3 free version to play that library?
In short - yes.
But I just really want to play my old library I bought in a modern 64-bit host.

If I buy ST3 - they let me. So paying again for something I don't want/need and I can use what I bought.

But they gladly provide a free ST3 player and with some free stuff - to get new customers in.

Something does not add up here.

When I bought Piano Collection it came with ST1 LE, which is a free player which can run and register products also.

NI Kontakt has the same system as of today with their player. I bought 3rd party stuff and got Kontakt Player.

Since IK hang around forums I thought I give some feedback on this - how I feel about it. Their policy just do not add up for me.

They could very well provide a free ST3 player that also can take import on registered products - and old customers could use what they bought in the new 64-bit environments.

Especially since IK are really late adapters to new technology. Most products have provided both 32/64 bit versions for 3-5 years back.

I think good customer care really makes long term relationship and loyal customers.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #159
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
In short - yes.
But I just really want to play my old library I bought in a modern 64-bit host.

If I buy ST3 - they let me. So paying again for something I don't want/need and I can use what I bought.

But they gladly provide a free ST3 player and with some free stuff - to get new customers in.

Something does not add up here.
It does add up if you look at it as being good business sense for IKM.

I’m going to play ‘devils advocate’ and explain why they do this (and why any company does this).

Coding a 64-bit sampler from the ground up is not an update, its a whole new plugin, maybe even thousands of hours of work.
If you want a 64-bit VSTi plugin, it shouldn't be expected to be free. And there's nothing to stop you using your 32-bit Sampletank in Reaper is there? At the worst, you take a little CPU % hit.

If IK Multimedia gives a free ST3 player to new customers, its called an ‘entry’ or gateway’ plugin. New customers who perhaps don’t own any IKM plugins, get it free, and then have the option to expand it by buying extra stuff for it if they like it. It generates new business. New business equals growth for the company. New Growth = Good.

However, for existing owners of ST2.5 and Miroslav, if we wanted to import these into the new ST3, we had to previously buy the entire ST3, full price.
However, now we don’t have to spend all that money to buy it because, IKM have released the ST3 SE, which is great if we only want to import our old ST 2 libraries to use 64-bit. The lower cost makes sense, since we don’t get the entire libraries and it’s not free because IKM would lose all that business of older customers. Why would any company give away something for free that would lose them guaranteed business? No other company does this. This is Good Customer Service. We now get the option to buy a bare-bones version of Sampletank 3, if all we want is to import our old libraries. I would LOVE it to be free, but something has to pay for the 64-bit upgrade.

However, there are a few things I will mention that are definitely not good for business. IKM could have done better by putting a 64-BIT ONLY in BIG print, so customers realised there were no 32-bit versions. A lot of customers were confused and disappointed.
IKM saying ‘we told people about this months ago’ is not a good reason if it was only posted in forums where only a small amount of people following its development could read it. This needed to be big and clear and public, on the site in BIG CLEAR TEXT so not a single customer mistakenly buys ST3 and thinks there’s a 32-bit version. A lot did, so this is a PR/marketing failure.
It is perfectly reasonable for customers to assume there is a 32-bit version as well.
Every other company, to my knowledge and experience, provides both 32 and 64-bit versions of it’s plugins and VSTi’s. It is highly unusual for a company to make a 64-bit only version; but it is not unusual to only make a 32-bit version with no 64-bit version. This is very common.

Also not having a clear set of product specifications (including how much RAM it uses) is bad. This should also be clear and on the official site.
A new customer with only 2GB of system RAM and not much money who saves up for months to buy ST3, will be horrified when he/she realises it takes 1GB of RAM on average with NOTHING LOADED on it. They then have to spend money on a RAM upgrade they didn’t want or be stuck with reduced system resources on projects, or even end up not using ST3 much at all. Yes, there is a try-before-you-buy free version, but not everyone will try this before buying the full version.

Hiding or obscuring this info is NOT good business sense, because customers are not fools and realise that a company who hides important info does so for a reason –if that info might lose that company sales it can gain by exploiting 'grey areas' of customer understanding ("I didn't know it was only 64-bit!" or "I imported my miroslav orchestra and now I can't run the exact same projects I ran in Sampletank 2/ Miroslav because I didn't know it uses so much RAM!").
Hiding important info results in purchases made by customers who are inadequately informed, who would have otherwise chosen not to make that purchase if they had known all the facts.

I find it is the best business policy to give all info, openly, plainly and clearly to customers and let them decide, because, bad PR is the worst cause of lost sales to any business.

Last edited by Retro Audio Enthusiast; 10-07-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #160
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
It does add up if you look at it as being good business sense for IKM.

I’m going to play ‘devils advocate’ and explain why they do this (and why any company does this).
I get that sales department think this - and maybe they do it right, or are they being shortsighted?

Quote:
If IK Multimedia gives a free ST3 player to new customers, its called an ‘entry’ or gateway’ plugin. New customers who perhaps don’t own any IKM plugins, get it free, and then have the option to expand it by buying extra stuff for it if they like it. It generates new business. New business equals growth for the company. New Growth = Good.
My core issue is maybe something like this:

IK were very late in implementing 64-bit support.
So keeping existing and loyal customers happy is maybe providing 64-bit host to play bought libraries, just recently 32-bit only.

Well, they do this - but only if you buy the latest product as well.

The work is already done for ST3. The rest is policy.

I run the piano from my digital piano now, but having a plugin is a bit smoother when it comes to rendering and such.

It's not really a biggy for me - but would restore some confidence in IK. Since we had representative online here, I took a shot at it.

I guess my thinking is off then. I had my own software business for 16 years and know that 64-bit itself is not such a biggy.

Last edited by Nip; 10-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Nip is offline   Reply With Quote