Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #361
RobertP
Human being with feelings

I think the majority of members here are sensible adults and can get past the non helpful posts.

WT is doing the job and trying to balance objective functionality with a massive range of needs (wants in some respects)and sure, he aint gonna please all the people, regardless of how much flexibility and choice is built in.

It's not like he doesn't know what he is doing so give him some space to work and help him develop it.

Personally I like what has happened so far and like to think I have the patience to follow its development.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #362
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
To put it another way, Luacheck stopped counting for me at 1000 warnings for things lots of coders think you should strongly consider not doing. I don't mean to be putting myself on a pedestal here by any means - my GUI library isn't much better in this regard, at the moment.
Promise not to derail this thread anymore - but ooh LuaCheck - didn't know that one. Heh heh - Stripper fails dismally!! (but a lot of the 44000 warnings seem to be complaining about empty white space lines). But might help me to find some accidental globals though Thanks.

Actually - it seems to not recognize reaper - so that's all API calls flagged up then).
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #363
todd_r

Is there any way the script could be update to allow you to click on an item and take you to the right place/pngs in the resource folder?

I'm not a theme as it has always appears somewhat exasperating. That along with current functionality would make things so much easier.

Hope this is on topic enough.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #364
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
TO ANYONE SAYING THE THEME IS TOO DARK...sorry for the yelling, but geez already...

I posted about this earlier in the thread (here is one of the posts I made about this, and another here showing an example). You can edit the colors of the arrange view and MIDI editor by using the "theme tweaker" which is accessible from the actions list (filter for "theme tweaker" and you'll see it).

A good point has been brought up: a possiblity of a "lighter mode" for those two areas. But right now anyone can edit the theme easily and without overwriting the *.ReaperThemeZip file.

Attached is an edited file I made. Put it in your colorthemes folder and select it as the theme. It'll use all elements from the Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip file, but it has changes to the colors (and fonts) that I chose. You can use this as an example or to edit further. Remember, changes made in the theme tweaker don't overwrite the *.ReaperThemeZip file, so it's safe to do. If you hate what you've done, just switch back to the "root" *.ReaperThemeZip file for your theme (and/or delete the *.ReaperTheme that you made from that folder).

You might not like these edits, but it's just an example. Sorry that I've also edited fonts...I needed to at the time since I'm on Linux, and the default settings were illegible to me.

Excellent JP, and thanks for posting. I'm on Linux too, and the fonts are clear here. Can the CC lanes be edited to the same colour, or close, as the midi editor canvas? It's hard to see the CC data.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. It's the same as the ruler background.

Thanks for the heads up, this is very cool.

Last edited by alextone; 05-01-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #365
PhelixK

Theme adjuster > Mixer Control > layout A/B/C:
Here MCP does not obey underlying options of ‘If track armed’, anyone else?

Default_6.0_1.0.3, 5975+dev0430, macOS10.14.4

Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #366
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
anyone else?
Yeah, I do appear to have broken quite a lot of that. Thanks and sorry!
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #367
cool

Quote:
TO ANYONE SAYING THE THEME IS TOO DARK...sorry for the yelling, but geez already...

I posted about this earlier in the thread (here is one of the posts I made about this, and another here showing an example). You can edit the colors of the arrange view and MIDI editor by using the "theme tweaker" which is accessible from the actions list (filter for "theme tweaker" and you'll see it).

A good point has been brought up: a possiblity of a "lighter mode" for those two areas. But right now anyone can edit the theme easily and without overwriting the *.ReaperThemeZip file.

Attached is an edited file I made. Put it in your colorthemes folder and select it as the theme. It'll use all elements from the Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip file, but it has changes to the colors (and fonts) that I chose. You can use this as an example or to edit further. Remember, changes made in the theme tweaker don't overwrite the *.ReaperThemeZip file, so it's safe to do. If you hate what you've done, just switch back to the "root" *.ReaperThemeZip file for your theme (and/or delete the *.ReaperTheme that you made from that folder).

You might not like these edits, but it's just an example. Sorry that I've also edited fonts...I needed to at the time since I'm on Linux, and the default settings were illegible to me.
Fine! I suggest attaching this instruction to the Reaper distributive. New users will be delighted. So they can quickly and easily do the design immediately after installing the DAW. (Irony)

There is no problem for me to make my own theme from scratch, or edit any element. But I do not think only about myself when I write here. Let's not forget about new users and those for whom music is still more important than scripting and design.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #368
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Yeah, I do appear to have broken quite a lot of that. Thanks and sorry!
you’re most welcome, I guess it’s an easy fix for next round ツ

Another small thing:
when track have >multi channel<, there’s a graphic glitch on the panel background. Maybe you can see it on the linked gif, otherwise I'll make a better screenshot. Visible when ‘extended sidebar’ and ‘do meter expansion’ is active.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #369
alextone

Default Longer name window in track header

WT, i've just tested your three layout options.

Could you include a 4th, with a longer text window for the track name?

Grunge-Contrabassoon doesn't fit at the moment.

Alex.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #370
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Fine! I suggest attaching this instruction to the Reaper distributive. New users will be delighted. So they can quickly and easily do the design immediately after installing the DAW. (Irony)

There is no problem for me to make my own theme from scratch, or edit any element. But I do not think only about myself when I write here. Let's not forget about new users and those for whom music is still more important than scripting and design.
I'm just trying to help, in case you hadn't noticed.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #371
franzwam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
WT, i've just tested your three layout options.

Could you include a 4th, with a longer text window for the track name?

Grunge-Contrabassoon doesn't fit at the moment.

Alex.
There is no point in adding a 4th layout, as all 3 are interchangeable.

And concerning the name length, there's an option to adapt it to whatever length ("auto").
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #372
lb0

I can use the adjuster to change the track colours in the TCP and MCP to my taste - but at the moment - whenever I create a new track - it still chooses the light grey (which is really hard on my eyes).

Is there a way to make all new tracks appear in dark grey (or any other colour but light grey)?

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #373
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
I can use the adjuster to change the track colours in the TCP and MCP to my taste - but at the moment - whenever I create a new track - it still chooses the light grey (which is really hard on my eyes).

Is there a way to make all new tracks appear in dark grey (or any other colour but light grey)?

Thanks,
Cant you change the colour in a image editor like you always could??
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #374
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Theme adjuster > Mixer Control > layout A/B/C:
Here MCP does not obey underlying options of ‘If track armed’, anyone else?

Default_6.0_1.0.3, 5975+dev0430, macOS10.14.4

I reported also that I can't get any of those functions to work either in the MCP. For me they all immediately affect the tracks regardless of what state they're in. Test was on 32 bit Mac
Old 05-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #375
lou latch

Few things:

- Marker numbers / region text / plugin- and send names in MCP seem not centered vertically, looks a bit like glued to the top border

- I would love to be able to choose a different meter / indication color. That kind of cyan seen in filled fx-slots, envelope (read state) does a good job functional wise, but i really, really don't feel comfortable with it populating my screen. Could that optionally be changed to orange, for example? Globally would be fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg that's not cntered vertically, right?.jpg (21.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg that cyan drives me crazy.jpg (18.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #376
SmajjL

SmajjL can only get the 100% ABC by using the script on selected tracks, not through the screensets/layouts.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #377
lou latch

I think TCP would look much more tidy if indentation of child tracks would not break the lining up of volume knobs, fx-button and other elements. At least up to an indentation width of 1, maybe. It would be fine if that space was stolen from track labels, imo.

Seems to work fine in the MCP, i really like that.

I always thought it's a mess when track control elements adjust their positions too much, resulting in a very chaotic MCP or TCP view.., you constantly have to look for elements.

From reading all the critiques about the theme i thought it must be a mess, but using it i actually think it's a very good compromise between going forward and not breaking the character. Breaking golden rules of UI design or not...

Last edited by lou latch; 05-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #378
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
I think TCP would look much more tidy if indentation of child tracks would not break the lining up of volume knobs, fx-button and other elements. At least up to an indentation width of 1, maybe. It would be fine if that space was stolen from track labels, imo.

Seems to work fine in the MCP, i really like that.

I always thought it's a mess when track control elements adjust their positions too much, resulting in a very chaotic MCP or TCP view.., you constantly have to look for elements.
Yes, just leave some padding on the left and reduce it with indent up to like 3 or 4 indents, all will line up that way.

Coachz Repo
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #379
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
I very much agree with this.

Since this is only Alpha release, I really hope that in the final version all buttons would move from "3D look" to a flat design
I really hope not. Flat design is by far one of the worst trends at the moment. The problem is that there are no affordances. Is this thing a clickable button? Or is it just a label? Who knows, everything is flat. I have to figure it out by trial and error, and then remember which parts are clickable and which are not. It is ergonomically and functionally really not a good idea.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #380
JamesPeters

Quote:
SWS "Auto Color/Icon/Layout". For "track", use the filter "(any)" and define the color. (Other rules with more specifics will override this.) Right-click in the filter column (and other areas of the window for that matter) for some hints for options.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #381
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Cant you change the colour in a image editor like you always could??
Well yes - but it kind of defeats the object of having the adjuster - I thought there might be away to make the colour chosen in there default

Quote:
SWS "Auto Color/Icon/Layout". For "track", use the filter "(any)" and define the color. (Other rules with more specifics will override this.) Right-click in the filter column (and other areas of the window for that matter) for some hints for options.
Thanks - will take a look.

EDIT: Perfect - thanks so much! Never even seen that dialog before

Last edited by lb0; 05-01-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #382
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
SmajjL can only get the 100% ABC by using the script on selected tracks, not through the screensets/layouts.
I think that's the way it works for now. Assign everything to either A, B, or C and ignore the layouts or any default behavior for new or existing tracks.

Eventually, everything will default to something (probably A) but that's not completed yet.

Quote:
Well yes - but it kind of defeats the object of having the adjuster - I thought there might be away to make the colour chosen in there default
This also will probably change in it's final form.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #383
video flesh

This thread is full of off-topic chatter, so apologies if this has been reported already, but if I make the master track visible in the TCP, the controls are messed up.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #384
Lokasenna

I believe WT has said that the Master and MIDI Editor haven't really been touched yet.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #385
musicbynumbers

I'm finding lots of great things I love in this theme thanks (like having mute/solos on left side with long names and then double clicking TCP/arrange divider and getting just sideways names and meters and mute solo. Nice!)

One bug for me though is that the changes I make in the script "theme adjuster" don't seem to stick upon reloading reaper.

Maybe it's because I went to a new reaper dev build since I made the changes? I don't think it's because of a new theme version as I didn't download that yet.

Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #386
musicbynumbers

When splitting items. I'm finding it hard to see the separator line between the two parts if neither are selected.

I think this is more of an issue once the resolution goes above 1080p

This might be outside the scope of what you can do but could theme have options for thickness of the item edges so that we can see these better?

I think this might be a reaper issue though because it's becoming harder to accurately click say the dividing line between two items and I sometimes end up clicking and only getting one of the sides not both. we could do with edit "hit boxes" getting bigger with the resolution getting higher maybe?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #387
SmajjL

Kenny: Yeah I figure just being a good REAPER citizen and mention it anyway
But it did work prior to this latest update though.

MBN: I'm used to having my default to always show fade-in/out handle, and create automatic fade-in/out 0:00 000 and that handle can be tweaked to any color in theme tweaker, but yeah.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #388
Breeder

You know what would be awesome? If all themes can set their own script - maybe this script could be a way to introduce certain standard throughout the themes. I'm talking about preservation of layouts or at least parts of the layouts (i.e. colored faders) through all the different custom themes.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #389
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Grids and any text are very very very hard to see on selected items at the moment
Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #390
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Grids and any text are very very very hard to see on selected items at the moment
See this post.

But yeah, even if someone likes the default darker aspects of this theme, the arrange View grid lines get lost.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-01-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #391
carbon

The track title font change doesn't seem to stick - shows only when editing the name.

The side by side double M-s when muted seem a bit much.

Leaving the M and S always side by side would be less busy, I think. Not much space saved anyway.

Maybe these things can be easily changed by the end user, but if it takes scripting...
Attached Images
File Type: png Font.PNG (10.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: png m&m.PNG (2.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 AM   #392
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
The side by side double M-s when muted seem a bit much.
Yes, putting the little ‘M’ at the top of the meter when muted seems redundant when the ‘Mute’ button itself occupies the the same space...
Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #393
bob

Not enough contrast.for people with dodgy eyesight like me,contrast and brightness is essential which is why ive always used default theme no 3
Old 05-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #394
SubbaseDnB

Stay On Topic,you Bastards
Old 05-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #395
Lokasenna

In fairness, contrast is a pretty important part of the functionality of a theme and functionality is what's supposed to be discussed.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #396
vitalker

Quote:
In fairness, contrast is a pretty important part of the functionality of a theme and functionality is what's supposed to be discussed.
Agreed! The same goes to gamma.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #397
Lunar Ladder

Now that there's the possibility of directly altering important aspects of a theme through an interactive script (great stuff, that!), hopefully even more of those "difficult to adjust" theme parameters will eventually show as simple options there.

Supercollapsed track states would benefit from being accessible straight from the GUI, for example.

When it's not just a handful of folders for general convenience but arranging instrument groups with a lot of child tracks, chances are you often want to see something neat and compact like this when folders are closed:

instead of

Also, a different point: the theme adjuster script has that cool "dim all assigned custom colors" function, but it misses a "brighten all assigned custom colors" one to go the other way. "Increase saturation" and "decrease saturation" would be welcome in the finished product as well.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #398
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Is "contrast" some type of global setting for a theme or is it an element by element kind of subjective thing?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #399
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
It's the Zaphod Beeblebrox theme: it's the perfect theme if you don't want to see anything at all that you're doing.

Seriously, it's incredibly dark and lacking in contrast. That plus the multiple perspectives make it a usability nightmare, I'm afraid to say...
Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #400
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Is "contrast" some type of global setting for a theme or is it an element by element kind of subjective thing?
Subjective, but only up to a point. The theme *is* fairly dark, and a number of elements *don't* have much contrast. For example, compare the Mute and Solo buttons here versus v5 - the letters are much easier to read in v5. Likewise, look at the text in the MCP for the track's input - the difference between the text and the background is fairly small.

Thus, anyone with questionable eyesight is likely to struggle and we know that there are Reaper users in that category. Contrast between color 1 and color 2 is also something that can be measured, and there are standards used on the web to avoid issues like this.

WT says that all of his testers "passed" this - great. Did any of the testers have poor vision? Or poorly-calibrated screens? Does a pass mean "I love it!" or simply "I didn't notice it enough to complain"?

My vision is fairly good, I've looked at it on a number of different monitors with different settings, and I feel the beginnings of eye-strain after a couple of minutes. I'm also not the only who has expressed discomfort, which suggests to me that the testing process may have been flawed.

WT has said he went for different levels of contrast to separate different levels of importance in the elements, which is perfectly fine, but the argument from myself and evidently a number of others is that the low end of that hierarchy is too low, as it was in a few places for v5.

Good vision and a properly-calibrated monitor shouldn't be prerequisites for being able to use a theme. A default theme, especially, should be useable by as much of the expected user-base as possible and should thus, in my opinion, err on the side of being too accessible rather than going for "how far can I push this before people yell at me?"

Last edited by Lokasenna; 05-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Closed Thread