Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer FCB1010 - using pedals for CC and Note - HELPFUL TIPS!!

I hate this damn pedalboard. I've owned it for 10 years. Nothing but headaches. I finally figured out how to "Program" it, somewhat. I hope this helps any of you out there. I finally figured out how to do this manually, because NONE of the editor programs I have successfully transmit the SYSEX data to the pedal anymore (they all used to, but not anymore)... I even triple-checked that everything is right, including the MIDI output/input, etc). No luck. So, manual config time (which doesn't even take that long for two banks).

I wanted Bank 01 as CC#s (for Play/Loop Regions 1-7, Transport Play/Stop, and Previous Project Tab, Next Project Tab). And then for Bank 02, I wanted MIDI notes (C1 to E2), so I can play diatonic chords with my feet (using Chordz plugin or Cthulhu). It took me like 30 minutes to manually program each pedal and each bank.

MANUALLY DISABLING DIRECT SELECT and SETTING GLOBAL MIDI CHANNEL

First, be sure your FCB1010 isn't set to "Direct Select" (I hate that. I don't want to use my feet to punch numbers in. Annoying as hell).

1. With FCB1010 turned off... hold DOWN pedal, then power up. This brings you into Global Mode. Wait for Green LED to show on "Direct Select". Make sure Pedal 10 is NOT lit up. Direct Select sucks. Change Global MIDI channel if you want, by pressing UP pedal, then Pedal 1, then pressing the UP pedal again (shows a blinking "01", and the "Midi Channel" button lit). Press the pedals for the appropriate MIDI channel you want. For me, I use Channel 11, because I don't want it interfering with things on Channel 1).

2. Hold DOWN for 3 seconds... that means "save setting, and exit to pedal"

The way it makes the most sense is to just have 10 banks of 10 different functions (CC# or Note number). It just makes sense. Like, say one of the banks is CC#s assigned to your Reaper Transport (via Reaper Actions) so you can record/play/stop/jump to a marker with your feet. Again, Direct Select sucks.

MANUALLY ASSIGNING NOTE NUMBERS TO PEDALS

1. Hit footswitch you want to configure, for example... Pedal 1.
2. Hold DOWN pedal for 3 seconds
3. Once you see the green light blinking, right under "Preset Configuration", hit UP once.
4. Pedal 6 should be solid lit ("Control Change 1") and set it to something rarely used or unused, such as 126. If it's not lit, hold it to make it lit. Then PRESS it so it is blinking. Once it is blinking, press UP pedal. Type "126" (using the pedals and their respective numbers), then hit UP pedal. Then type "zero-zero" (00). Press UP pedal.
5. Repeat first 3 steps. Now check Pedal 10. If it's not lit, hold to make it solid red. Then press once so it is blinking. Press UP pedal. Type the Note number you want (example, 36, which is C1). Press UP pedal.
6. HOLD DOWN for 3 seconds to save/exit.

Select a different pedal, for instance, Pedal 2... and repeat the process from Step 2 onward.

IMPORTANT---- Why a CC message plus Note? This damn pedal has a tendency to send MULTIPLE MIDI MESSAGES and I don't know why... such as MSB/Program Change. The only reason I included an unused CC message for Note mode is because I cannot figure out another way to make the pedal not send Bank Change messages (MSB) in addition to a Note message.

MANUALLY ASSIGNING CC#'s TO PEDALS

1. Hit footswitch you want to configure, for example... Pedal 1.
2. Hold DOWN pedal for 3 seconds
3. Once you see the green light blinking, right under "Preset Configuration", hit UP once.
4. Pedal 6 should be solid lit ("Control Change 1"). If it's not lit, hold it to make it lit. Then PRESS it so it is blinking. Once it is blinking, press UP pedal. Type the CC# you want, for instance, CC99 (using the pedals and their respective numbers), then hit UP pedal. Then type "127" (127) when the FCB1010 is asking you for the next value. Press UP pedal. This makes the pedal function as a "Trigger" button. Only one event for press and release... (which is ideal).
5. Repeat first 3 steps. Check Pedal 10 and make sure it is NOT lit. We don't want a CC message AND a Note message this time. Just a CC message.
6. HOLD DOWN for 3 seconds to save/exit.

Select a different pedal, for instance, Pedal 2... and repeat the process from Step 2 onward.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by themixtape; 05-27-2019 at 09:59 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Is the way how to program the FCB 1010 decently documented in the associated docs ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote