Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
People saying things like "Man, take me back to the 80's. Best decade for music...
Haha. I don't think anyone saying that was even born then!

Can you say cocaine?
The CIA selling crack and helping create some of the ghettos.
Private prisons working with those record producers to push 'gangsta' rap to encourage crime among minorities to generate inmates for them.
Former accomplished bands working with Mutt Lang or whoever it was and using stock commercial songs written by that one guy. (Look up Heart.)
And boring synth bands.

Probably still not supposed to say a couple of those out loud, right?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #42
msundh

The best decades are when you're are teenager or in your 20's.
So the 70's and the 80's were my decades and they were Great!!
Still, no decade is best.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #43
karbomusic

Can't really say I have a favorite decade, I can find good music in all of them IMHO.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #44
msundh

What I meant was that you are more open to new music when in your teens or early 20's, so you likely have more favourite music/bands from that time.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #45
Glennbo

I agree with Abe. The period from 1965 to 1975 had an explosion of creativity. Record company executives were actively seeking out and signing artists with "Talent Scouts". They were willing to take chances on new experimental music. Don Kirshner was putting his own money on the line, investing more than a million on Kansas, which finally paid off.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
What I meant was that you are more open to new music when in your teens or early 20's, so you likely have more favourite music/bands from that time.
Yes, I got that and it's true because the brain forms some one-time impressions/connections around those ages usually closer to 12-16 IIRC.

My comment was just about me, I can name plenty of songs from every decade that I like and think are great songs. But, my palette is pretty wide, meaning I'm as happy listening to Black Sabbath as I am The Carpenters or Midnight Oil or Crowded House or the Bee Gees or The Spinners or Bowie or Soft Cell or Frans Ferdinand or Of Monsters and Men or Kiss or Alice in Chains or REO Speedwagon or Def Leppard or The Police or Tears for Fears or Hot Chocolate or Ram Jam or The Meters or Frankie Beverly and Maze or Earth Wind and Fire or The Cure or Cinderella or Badlands or Mike Patton or Last Crack or The Smithereens or Duran Duran or Matt Maeson or Living Color or Pink or Train or Alice Merton or Mandolin Orange or Curtis Mayfield or Townes Van Zandt or Air or Mr. Bungle or Portugal the Man or Sammy Hagar or Hall and Oates or Pussy Riot or Foot Fighters or Erykah Badu.... It's a long list.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-04-2021 at 10:58 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Absolutely. That applies to almost everything. It's the reason why everyone thinks their religion isn't stupid, but everyone else's sounds like a bunch of superstitious fairy tales. You're indoctrinated into your religion pretty much from birth. You learn about other religions later in life. For example.
The only disagreement is the religion one is a bit earlier, more like 3-7, which is also the golden age for beginning in music, and having "it" vs. starting later where the brain has closed off certain processes that will never be as open again like learning perfect pitch.

For the religion piece, it is much that our value system that we develop is pretty much complete before age 10 and anything solidified by then usually can't be changed minus some type of trauma or life-changing event.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #48
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Yes, I got that and it's true because the brain forms some one-time impressions/connections around those ages usually closer to 12-16 IIRC.

My comment was just about me, I can name plenty of songs from every decade that I like and think are great songs. But, my palette is pretty wide, meaning I'm as happy listening to Black Sabbath as I am The Carpenters or Midnight Oil or Crowded House or the Bee Gees or The Spinners or Bowie or Soft Cell or Frans Ferdinand or Of Monsters and Men or Kiss or Alice in Chains or REO Speedwagon or Def Leppard or The Police or Tears for Fears or Hot Chocolate or Ram Jam or The Meters or Frankie Beverly and Maze or Earth Wind and Fire or The Cure or Cinderella or Badlands or Mike Patton or Last Crack or The Smithereens or Duran Duran or Matt Maeson or Living Color or Pink or Train or Alice Merton or Mandolin Orange or Curtis Mayfield or Townes Van Zandt or Air or Mr. Bungle or Portugal the Man or Sammy Hagar or Hall and Oates or Pussy Riot or Foot Fighters or Erykah Badu.... It's a long list.
Lot's of 70's 80's music there
I also love music from most decades, but the one's from 70's early 80's sits kinda deeper.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #49
Jeffsounds

Quote:
To me, the best 10 year period of music was 1965 to 1975. That's not because of my age.
Totally agree with you and that IS probably because of my age.

Quote:
But, my palette is pretty wide, meaning I'm as happy listening to Black Sabbath as I am The Carpenters or Midnight Oil or Crowded House or the Bee Gees or The Spinners or Bowie or Soft Cell or Frans Ferdinand or Of Monsters and Men or Kiss or Alice in Chains or REO Speedwagon or Def Leppard or The Police or Tears for Fears or Hot Chocolate or Ram Jam or The Meters or Frankie Beverly and Maze or Earth Wind and Fire or The Cure or Cinderella or Badlands or Mike Patton or Last Crack or The Smithereens or Duran Duran or Matt Maeson or Living Color or Pink or Train or Alice Merton or Mandolin Orange or Curtis Mayfield or Townes Van Zandt or Air or Mr. Bungle or Portugal the Man or Sammy Hagar or Hall and Oates or Pussy Riot or Foot Fighters or Erykah Badu.... It's a long list.
Ok, Professor, but... BEE GEES??????
Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #50
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
They were a decent band before they went disco.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
Totally agree with you and that IS probably because of my age.

Yea, learn Jive Talkin' and get back with me. And I liked a good amount of disco, but like any genre once it explodes and becomes a chicken dinner assembly line things degrade.

Here's another one you can learn while you are at it:

Old 08-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #52
Glennbo

B4 their sucky disco era.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #53
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
B4 their sucky disco era.

Those Sennheiser 421s look like they've endured a few drops or a few hits with drumsticks!
Old 08-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Those Sennheiser 421s look like they've endured a few drops or a few hits with drumsticks!
They were uncolored plastic back then too.

I've had one since 1983 that I use on my guitar amp but it's black, and kind of beat up looking.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #55
Dannii

Quote:
They were uncolored plastic back then too.

I've had one since 1983 that I use on my guitar amp but it's black, and kind of beat up looking.
Back when I was doing more live engineering, they were my go-to for toms. They were hard to beat for fullness and punch.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #56
Glennbo

Quote:
Back when I was doing more live engineering, they were my go-to for toms. They were hard to beat for fullness and punch.
The very reason I bought three E604 Sennheiser mics for my drums.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/73/img...205_808661.jpg

I've read numerous reviews that say the E604s share the same capsule as the MD421s, but in a smaller package for drums. I used to have a pair of MD421s on the drums in my old studio, but sold one of them when I was downsizing from 1" tape to computer. The E604s have that same fat punchy sound that makes the toms jump out.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #57
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Yea, learn Jive Talkin' and get back with me. And I liked a good amount of disco, but like any genre once it explodes and becomes a chicken dinner assembly line things degrade.

Here's another one you can learn while you are at it:
I actually liked a bit of Bee Gees before the disco era and a few after. Stayin' Alive was a cool tune. There were a lot of disco songs that I thought were pretty cool until, like you said, the assembly line started. Seems like that assembly line shows up in all forms of music once it becomes popular. Case in point, country music. Every singer sounds the same these days. Find something people like and clone the shit out of it seems to be the motto.

Quote:
Bee Gee's were great before Saturday Night Fever. Even some of those disco songs are great, too.

But listen to "Lonely Days". It's total Beatles. The beginning sounds like "Sun King" or "Because", and the ending fade out sounds just like Lennon, with the same slap back, etc...It's a great tune. They have many.
Lonely Days is probably my favorite Bee Gees! What a cool tune! But it's hard to knock the production of their disco era tunes. Nights On Broadway is another favorite.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #58
karbomusic

Quote:
Nights On Broadway is another favorite.
I bought that as a single when I was maybe 12? Loved it at the time.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #59
Dannii

Quote:
The very reason I bought three E604 Sennheiser mics for my drums.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/73/img...205_808661.jpg

I've read numerous reviews that say the E604s share the same capsule as the MD421s, but in a smaller package for drums. I used to have a pair of MD421s on the drums in my old studio, but sold one of them when I was downsizing from 1" tape to computer. The E604s have that same fat punchy sound that makes the toms jump out.
Very interesting indeed! I never knew that about the 604 sharing the same capsule.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #60
Glennbo

Quote:
Very interesting indeed! I never knew that about the 604 sharing the same capsule.
I was going to buy three SM57s, and started researching other tom mics. After reading multiple drum forums and watching tom mic shootouts on YouTube, I got the E604s. Since putting them into use on my acoustic drums, I've had numerous people comment how punchy my drums sound, and I know right away it's the toms jumping out that they are hearing.