Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default TIP: Comparing FX chains

Disclaimer: there are several ways to do this but I find this method easy and a "one-click" solution

Objective: To compare the effect of 2 different FX chains on a track

Method:
(a) Set up the 2 FX chains on the track using the appropriate Pin Connections [#] and add MeldaProduction's MCompare at the end of each chain; in this example FX #1, #3 and #5 are the first FX chain (on channels 1+2 mainly) and FX #2, #4 and #6 are the second chain (on channels 5+6). Channels 7+8 are for the Sidechain.
(b) Open the second MCompare and set it to generate a source. close it.
(c) Open the first MCompare and rename "Source 1" as "Second chain" or whatever you want.

>>> https://i.imgur.com/KNJbts0.png

Now click Play. If none of the Sources is selected, then you will hear the audio from the channels that MCompare is connected to - from the first FX Chain in this case. If the "Second chain" source is selected, then you will hear the audio from the channels that the other MCompare is connected to - from the second FX Chain in this case. The meter is showing the audio waveform, level and loudness.

So you can do instant one-click comparisons.

And there's more,
(a) Switch to the "Blind test" tab and you can do the comparison without knowing which is which; when you've found the better one, switch back and you'll see which one it is.
(b) If you have some reference audio files you can load them too and compare your track with them.
(c) You can have loads of comparison slots.

I don't expect anyone to follow this exactly, but it may give you some ideas.

[#] the screenshot uses the TrackFX Routing Matrix by eugen2777 et al: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=173867, post #58.