Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
The Bunker
Human being with feelings

Default Annoying undo behaviour

Hey forum, just a quick question. Does anyone else have this issue? I am just doing some basic fine editing on the automation lanes, nothing too complicated, adding points, moving them etc but everytime I hit ctrl-z to undo something, the screen's focus jumps around to some other location other than where I was working and I have to continuously scroll back to where I was. This is extremely annoying and bizarre. Anybody know why this might be happening?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
dug dog

Same behavior here. I don't know if there's a way to change it but, in the meantime, to save your sanity, you can program a hotkey to the action "View: Restore previous zoom level" and that will help.

So, after hitting CTRL Z to undo, hitting your new hotkey will take you back to where you were.
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #3
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Same behavior here. I don't know if there's a way to change it but, in the meantime, to save your sanity, you can program a hotkey to the action "View: Restore previous zoom level" and that will help.

So, after hitting CTRL Z to undo, hitting your new hotkey will take you back to where you were.
wow, is this serious? This is mind boggling that something like this would happen... anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Hey forum, just a quick question. Does anyone else have this issue? I am just doing some basic fine editing on the automation lanes, nothing too complicated, adding points, moving them etc but everytime I hit ctrl-z to undo something, the screen's focus jumps around to some other location other than where I was working and I have to continuously scroll back to where I was. This is extremely annoying and bizarre. Anybody know why this might be happening?
I have the same problem, as I suspect all others do, it is extremely frustrating.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
The Bunker

There are a lot of little problems like this with Reaper that are slowly chipping away at my sanity. I find Reaper to be a great and ambitious concept but I am finding to be less and less user friendly when it actually comes to getting work done. There is no one big issue, just little problems and oversights here and there that are really starting to get to me...
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
vitalker

Report a bug in this forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
And here is how to report bugs: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653
Generally show the bug on GIF/video and add steps to reproduce. Also add info about your system and Reaper version.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
There are a lot of little problems like this with Reaper that are slowly chipping away at my sanity.
I lost my sanity moons ago, but that came from doing live sound for bands
Apart from this issue, the only other thing that makes me cranky is when doing automation points it is very hard to get enough separation between the points at times and I end up clicking on the wrong one sometimes, then the dreaded CTRL+Z whips my arse.

In all fairness, the automation points issue may not even be an issue, it might just be the theme I am using and the fact I am using a 1080p monitor.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #8
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
the dreaded CTRL+Z whips my arse.

Programming the hot-key that I described will ease your suffering.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
enroe

Quote:
... you can program a hotkey to the action "View: Restore previous zoom level" and that will help.

Can't you put both into one single macro and then assign it to CTRL+Z?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Programming the hot-key that I described will ease your suffering.
Thanks I will give it a go.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #11
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Can't you put both into one single macro and then assign it to CTRL+Z?

Absolutely.

I don't know if there might be some situations in which that could work against you, though. (It's too early here to think clearly.)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
The Bunker

Quote:
Absolutely.

I don't know if there might be some situations in which that could work against you, though. (It's too early here to think clearly.)
But the thing is Ctrl+Z doesnt ALWAYS change zoom level only in certain scenarios, so lets say for example if you happen to have just changed zoom level to do something and then you press ctrl+z and the bug doesn't trigger then you end up flying around the place again anyway... so this makes this workaround potentially problematic although admittedly it would be more likely to be useful than the other way around.