Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
chrisjamsmusic
Human being with feelings

Default How to stop sustained vsts?

Not quite sure how to explain this, but why are some VSTs sustained after I stop playback? For example, I have a piano VST that will sustain a note indefinitely until I start playback again. Its annoying, but also sometimes ends up in the final mix. I have messed around in the preferences, but so far haven't been able to stop it. Anyone else experience this?
chrisjamsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjamsmusic View Post
Not quite sure how to explain this, but why are some VSTs sustained after I stop playback? For example, I have a piano VST that will sustain a note indefinitely until I start playback again. Its annoying, but also sometimes ends up in the final mix. I have messed around in the preferences, but so far haven't been able to stop it. Anyone else experience this?

As far as happening in a mix, is does it happen at the same place? This kind of thing can happen when note offs or sustain pedal offs get chopped off in an edit or overdub. During normal playback and stopping of a midi track that doesn't have any of those missing Reaper should send note offs, at least. In fact, there is a preference for turning that off (In VST settings with "Don't send note offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset") and it should be unchecked, or sending note offs, as default.

One things that doesn't solve the problem, but it might fix the symptom, would be to insert the midi action "Send all notes off" where necessary, as a way to get through a mix while troubleshooting exactly where and why the notes are sustaining.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
chrisjamsmusic

Thank you for the quick reply! I will try it out.
chrisjamsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 AM   #4
MaXyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjamsmusic View Post
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try it out.
Also you can use F3 to reset all instruments at once or play exact note which is suspended.

Responding to the second post, I would expect Reaper to behave in deterministic way. Unfortunatelly notes are being sustained in not reproduceable manner.

I saw several discussions about this issue on this forum. Without final solution found.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
stevewdy

I record midi piano a lot - sustain and cutoff of notes can be problematic if the sustain pedal doesn't switch on or off correctly.
If you look at the midi detail along the bottom of your file as you will see little vertical strokes - long and short. I cut a long one (sustain on) and a short one (sustain off) and keep them at the end of the file. Then I just paste them in as necessary to cure any sustain or cut-off problems.
stevewdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #6
Beastmode Beats

Type "VST" in your preferences search filter and ensure "Don't send note offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset is unchecked in the VST section of preferences.

RESOLVED
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote