Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Default ix plugins - duplicates (FIXED)

The "IX" plugins (or "IXix", or "ix", all names that are used as the author for these plugins sometimes) may have duplicates. Philip S. Considine (the "IX" himself) has a ReaPack repository located here:

https://github.com/IXix/JSFX/ (add "raw/master/index.xml" to the end of that URL and that's the ReaPack repo link.)

Some of his plugins that are included in Reaper have newer/updated versions there (as an example, one of these updated/bugfixed plugins is "Midi_Variant"). Plus there are more new plugins.

The folder "ix" in the "effects" folder (of the Reaper resource folder) has all the effects by him that are included in the Reaper install. If using ReaPack to install his plugins, it installs those plugins to a new folder named "IX" (all caps, so now there are two folders named "ix" and "IX" respectively, with different versions of some of the plugins). Descriptions (the descriptor tag in the JS effects) for the old versions installed with Reaper and also the new/updated versions of the plugins via this repo are the same. This means both of each effect (old/new) show up with the same name/description, duplicated in the effects browser. So, it's a good idea to remove the old versions that install with Reaper (which means deleting the "ix" folder). However every time I install an update to Reaper, it reinstalls all those old "ix" plugins. Those duplicates keep coming back.

I can't think of what might be the best possible method to resolve this, but I figured I should at least point this out.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-04-2019 at 10:00 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Fixing, we'll rename our dir to ix/ to be congruent with IX's reapack
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:55 AM   #3
JamesPeters

Some of the IX plugins in his repo are updated versions of the included plugins, and their names remain the same as the older (included) versions. So if you rename the included plugin directory to be the same as his Reapack directory, will that mean Reaper will install the included (older) plugins overtop whatever is in that directory (newer versions installed by Reapack)?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Some of the IX plugins in his repo are updated versions of the included plugins, and their names remain the same as the older (included) versions. So if you rename the included plugin directory to be the same as his Reapack directory, will that mean Reaper will install the included (older) plugins overtop whatever is in that directory (newer versions installed by Reapack)?
Yes, though at least it's consistent with OSes that have case insensitive filesystems? :/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Lol well I didn't care about that so much. I don't want old IX plugins overwriting the new ones I explicitly install with ReaPack, every time I install a Reaper update. I imagine it might annoy others, too. That's why I said "I can't think of what might be the best possible method to resolve this", since making the stock IX directory the same as what's installed via ReaPack replaces the potential duplicate problem with a potential version problem.

I'll keep using my script, I guess, which I consider "step 2" of a Reaper install. It deletes the IX plugins (prior to starting Reaper) and also the stock preset file for ReaComp (since I find the stock presets just get in my way).
Old 03-01-2021, 04:15 AM   #6
IXix

Sorry! I suck at being a dev.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
JamesPeters

For the IX plugins included in Reaper, which you have updated: are the updates things that would potentially affect a person's project if it were loaded with a new version of the plugin (in place of the old one)? If not, I suggest having the newer versions included in Reaper, replacing the old versions. Especially if you have no plans to update those plugins again.

Here's a list of the IX plugins included in Reaper:

MIDI_CCRider
MIDI_DuplicateFilter
MIDI_KeyMap
MIDI_KeySnap
MIDI_Router
MIDI_Tool
MIDI_Tool II
MIDI_Variant
MIDI_Velocifier II
MIDI_Wobulator
Mixer_8xM-1xS
Mixer_8xS-1xS
PhaseAdjustingRouter
StereoPhaseInvert
Switcher2
SwixMitch
Old 03-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
PMan

@IXix I want to say Thank You!

I use your stereo mixer in every project. It is in *all* of my drum set presets.

You do not suck as a dev. My Reaper experience is enriched by your contributions.

No one is perfect, and I am really grateful for your contributions.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #9
IXix

Quote:
For the IX plugins included in Reaper, which you have updated: are the updates things that would potentially affect a person's project if it were loaded with a new version of the plugin (in place of the old one)?
In general if I change something, I try to ensure that it is backwards compatible so you'll probably be fine. Off the top of my head, I don't honestly know what the differences are between the bundled versions and my repo but I'll try to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
@IXix I want to say Thank You!
Thanks! It's good to know these things are still useful to people.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #10
IXix

Quote:
Here's a list of the IX plugins included in Reaper:

MIDI_CCRider
MIDI_DuplicateFilter
MIDI_KeyMap
MIDI_KeySnap
MIDI_Router
MIDI_Tool
MIDI_Tool II
MIDI_Variant
MIDI_Velocifier II
MIDI_Wobulator
Mixer_8xM-1xS
Mixer_8xS-1xS
PhaseAdjustingRouter
StereoPhaseInvert
Switcher2
SwixMitch
Okay, just checked. The bundled plugins follow the old tradition of having no extension, whereas the ones from my repo all have the extension ".jsfx". So installing REAPER won't overwrite the repo files but you will of course end up with two of each. I could possibly put something in the descriptions to identify the reapack versions.

The only files that are different (other than the reapack header bit) are:

MIDI_KeyMap - Added @gfx section but otherwise functionally identical
MIDI_Variant - Bug fixes (oops, I should pass those on to Justin )

edit: emailed those changes to Cockos

Last edited by IXix; 03-01-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
JamesPeters

That's good news.

Can I recommend having a separate Reapack repo for the plugins which are included in Reaper, or have them removed from the repo? If they're included in Reaper and you're not updating them, there isn't much point in having them in the repo. All that does is make duplicate plugins if someone downloads them.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #12
IXix

Quote:
Can I recommend having a separate Reapack repo for the plugins which are included in Reaper, or have them removed from the repo? If they're included in Reaper and you're not updating them, there isn't much point in having them in the repo. All that does is make duplicate plugins if someone downloads them.
Yeah, that's probably the best solution, if I can remember how to update reapack.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #13
MonkeyBars

Strange. I added https://github.com/IXix/JSFX/raw/master/index.xml but Globalsliders didn't import for me. Seems like a super cool plugin...
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #14
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Strange. I added https://github.com/IXix/JSFX/raw/master/index.xml but Globalsliders didn't import for me. Seems like a super cool plugin...
Oh, don't know why that should have happened but I've probably made a mistake in the ReaPack config somehow. I'm not very good at this stuff.