Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
hborsarello
Human being with feelings

Default move item contents

Hello,

I am a violinist that play and record classical music. I recently discover reaper and was very impressed by the flexibility offered!!!
I've made some actions for my classical music use :

- for recording : press one button to start recording all the tracks, press the same button to stop recording, group the items and create a region. Very useful in classical music recording

- after inspiration of a reaper user found on the net, I create actions that create source destination capabilities, with 3 and 4 points edits.

Now I am thinking about the reaper crossfade capabilities. And for classical music, I think the reaper crossfade editor window is not very useful, slowing the editing worflow. In classical music controlling the crossfade is the point!! with a lot of editing points, it's very boring to lose time on each point!!

I've read somewhere on tis forum that creating a new crossfade editor like sequoia or pyramid is not a priority for reaper team, so I worked with mouse modifier to work without crossfade editor window but directly on the timeline and found almost all what I need :

- I can move the crossfade by clicking shift and move the mouse, and because my items are grouping by track, all the crossfade moves together.
- I can move crossfade input and output point and all the tracks do the same because items track are grouped
- I can modify crossfade length and all tracks move together
- same for crossfade shape

All these are very cool but one feature is missing for me : moving contents. I've worked with mouse modifier and came close to that I want : when I press shift and click and drag item, that moves the contents of all the tracks, that's what I want. But, I set move item contents and right edge, ripple later adjacent items, in the mouse modifiers, and it is working just for the track I move contents, the next crossfade move but only on the track I move, the others stay at their place!!!!!
Is it a way to make all the tracks moving the same????

I attach a little .mov to show you what I mean (not easy to explain this in words, and even move when english is not your native language!!!!)

Thanks for your help!!
Hugues

Original message here :
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1641257
hborsarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
hborsarello

No one has same problem or has a solution??
Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Sorry, not clear to me what you want to do. If you want to move item contents, first select the items you want to affect and then use the mouse modifier to move contents. But it sounds like that's what you're doing...
Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
hborsarello

Yes, that's what I'm doing but i'm working in multichannel and I want all the item contents moves together!!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I'd suggest making a Licecap gif (google "landoleet" if you don't have it) or putting up the link to the .mov file you mentioned. People might find it easier to understand the problem that way.

But if your multichannel file isn't behaving the way you expect, you can always explode it into mono tracks, group the items and see if that helps.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
metal_priest

I had the same issue working on setting up reaper for classical editing.

that's the "bad" behaviour hborsarello is talking about

items are grouped, selecting the left group or selecting both groups doesn't change thie behaviour...it moves just that track

I was seriously thinking that probably for multitrack classical music editing is better to implode the tracks in multichannel items...or still better to record as multichannel files, do the editing and then explode for the mix...still thinking about it!
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
hborsarello

Oh what a good idea!!! I didn't know about multichanel on one track!!! I think it's THE solution to edit classical music!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hborsarello View Post
Oh what a good idea!!! I didn't know about multichanel on one track!!! I think it's THE solution to edit classical music!!!
Also handy for drumkits or multi mic'd instruments, you can send each channel to another track to mix separately and have the entire performance in one easily edited file.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #9
metal_priest

the real issue for this workflow is when you're not recording just for yourself.
If you are doing a job for someone else, producing an album for example, you need to be able to share the takes with the musician (or the artistic producer) to choose the good ones to make the editing.
share multichannel files usually means to share files that "normal people" can't reproduce in the correct way.

But, on the other hand, usually you never share the multitrack files but just a stereo bounce for the whole recording...probably with a nice template with all the sends already set it isn't too much different doing a multichannel recording.

But!
you never know in classical music how many mics you will use...
so you should have a template for any number of mics...it's a mess...that's why I was just "thinking" that it could be a nice solution

EDIT:
actually...it isn't even possible to implode multitracks into one multichannel item...that's a pity...

Last edited by metal_priest; 03-03-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
hborsarello

Yes, totally agree with what you are saying!!

For the templates, do you think it's possible to create a script that automatically create the number of tracks that correspond to the number of channel in the multichannel track and make the sends to them?
This will be the absolute solution!!!

Regards
Hugues
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
metal_priest

that would be awesome!
I'm not into scripting (but i wish to learn...) probably it's possible but i really don't know how!

Reaper already does something similar for multichannel vst, it create a parent track and all the sub-tracks for each channel of the vsti, so I guess this could be helpful...maybe?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
cfillion

Try this lua script:

Code:
-- cfillion_Explode track to mono tracks.lua for REAPER v5.16+
-- http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1647321
-- @version 1.1
-- @author cfillion

local tracks = reaper.CountSelectedTracks(0)

if tracks < 1 then
  reaper.ShowMessageBox("Select some tracks and retry.", "Selection is empty!", 0)
  return
end

reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

for trackIndex=0,tracks-1 do
  local parent = reaper.GetSelectedTrack(0, trackIndex)
  local chans = reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(parent, "I_NCHAN")
  local trackId = reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value(parent, "IP_TRACKNUMBER")
  local _, name = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(parent, "P_NAME", "", false)

reaper.SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(parent, "B_MAINSEND", 0)

for chanIndex=0,chans-1 do
    local insertIndex = trackId + chanIndex
    reaper.InsertTrackAtIndex(insertIndex, true)
    track = reaper.GetTrack(0, insertIndex)

local send = reaper.CreateTrackSend(parent, track)
    reaper.SetTrackSendInfo_Value(parent, 0, send, "I_SRCCHAN", chanIndex | 1024)
    reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(track, "P_NAME",
      string.format("Ch. %d - %s", chanIndex + 1, name), true)
  end
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Explode track to mono tracks", 1)

reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
reaper.TrackList_AdjustWindows(false)

Last edited by cfillion; 03-04-2016 at 12:54 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
metal_priest

thanks cfillion!

I just tried it and i have this error:

If i understood correctly, this scrip will take a look to the selected track and it creates a number of tracks as the inputs of the selected tracks making the sends, is it correct?

Right now i'm testing it with just one stereo track. When I run the script, it prompts me that error. If i click on "close" it creates just one track with the send. But it should create 2 tracks instead, right?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #14
cfillion

Thanks, I modified the script in my post above. Update REAPER to v5.16 (released yesterday) to fix the error you are seeing.

The script creates a mono output track for every channel the selected tracks has to mix them individually:

Last edited by cfillion; 03-04-2016 at 12:51 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #15
metal_priest

thanks! it works! that's amazing! I will test it in my next job
Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
hborsarello

Another question to simplify workflow,

When I work with source destination, I have 2 project tabs open, one for destination, one for source. And during editing, sometime you change the mix of source and sometime the mix of destination. But I switch just 1 million time between both, and it's very annoying to have the sound changing because of mix difference. I tried to make an action list to select source or destination with snapshot copy and paste, it will be just perfect!!! BUT when I paste the snapshot in the other project tab (source or desination), a pop up window ask me to press ok, and I don't want to press OK each time I switch between source and destination!!!
I'm sure it's not so difficult to script when we know how to do it, but I don't know!!!!!

What would be perfect for me is a script that do :

Paste snapshot
Press OK

That'all!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!
Regards
Hugues
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
hborsarello

Default Solution