Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
KaoTeK
Human being with feelings

Default OK rewiring reason is doing my head in....help!!!!

Hello all....

OK up until now, Reaper has made me very happy indeed, I've got lots of stuff on the go and once paypal is set up Justin will be getting my cash, but I am gong insane trying to suss out how to rewire Reason properly....I've followed both guides here in the forums, and googled like crazy but no joy.....what always happens is I end up only getting one of my Reason synths to output to Reaper... I can see Reason is receiving the midi, and in some cases can see it's sending the audio back to reaper, but still cannot get the sound......

These are the methods I've tried:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36613

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...ewire+channels

Can some one, anyone help purleeeease!!!
KaoTeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoTeK View Post
...what always happens is I end up only getting one of my Reason synths to output to Reaper... I can see Reason is receiving the midi, and in some cases can see it's sending the audio back to reaper, but still cannot get the sound......
My tutorial is actually down at the moment as I'm remaking it in Camtasia Studio, but I'll help if I can.

It sounds like you're not setting up the internal Reaper channels properly if you're only getting the sound from one Reason device back.

If you can post a copy of your RPP file and a Reason Song file with your rack, I'll see if I can patch it for you.

What version of Reason are you using?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
KaoTeK

Nice one malcom, I've actually visited your site on numerous occasions in the vague hope your vid would be up again

I'm using Reason 4, and I did manage once to get it to output both channels in my "work it out" session -unfortunately it was by luck and not design, and I foolishly didn't save what I had done thinking I'd sussed it all out ...... I've since not been able to replicate what I had managed, which infuriates me even more as I'm normally good at this sort of thing.....

I'll post up the rpp/rsn files in a few hours as I have to go out, but your help is very much appreciated sir!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
KaoTeK

Heh...that was probably the longest few hours in the history of time........Bangkok has that sort of effect......just setting things up now will post asap.....
Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
KaoTeK

OK here goes...the reason file and reaper file......again can see on the hardware meter that reason is outputting - I'm sure it'll be something idiotic and obvious, but I just can't work it out.......Thanks again for your time and help

Edit: used 2 malstroms in the hope that it won't matter about which version of reason you have... and the routing is a weird hybrid of various tutes......
Attached Files
File Type: zip whatswrong.zip (26.0 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by KaoTeK; 12-14-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Alex Stone

KaoTek, have you considered using ReaRoute? With maple or midiyoke doing the midi in/out, and 16mono/8stereo channels audio, RR´s real simple to set up.

Alex.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
KaoTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
KaoTek, have you considered using ReaRoute? With maple or midiyoke doing the midi in/out, and 16mono/8stereo channels audio, RR´s real simple to set up.

Alex.
To be honest Alex, I've not dipped my feet in that particular pool (ocean???) yet...... Maybe worth a shot.....once my brain stops hurting....

Last edited by KaoTeK; 12-14-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
Tallisman

Hey mang!

I can't open your reason file you are probably at 4 I am 3...

nevertheless, your routing seems a little odd here... not the intra track routing (that is cool) but the routing on the Reaper-Reason FX control panel.

here is an image... see the blue highlighted area? double click that an ge a list of all the inside-the-reason-rack-destinations
you project opend with those all set to default busses

hope that helps

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 AM   #9
malcolmj

Quote:
OK here goes...the reason file and reaper file......again can see on the hardware meter that reason is outputting - I'm sure it'll be something idiotic and obvious, but I just can't work it out.......Thanks again for your time and help

Edit: used 2 malstroms in the hope that it won't matter about which version of reason you have... and the routing is a weird hybrid of various tutes......
Try the attached version. I have changed the routing quite a bit.

Track 1 has Reason.
Track 2 has an example of a pre-recorded MIDI channel 2 MIDI event.
Track 3 has an example of a pre-recorded MIDI channel 3 MIDI event.
Track 4 is the Audio Out from Reason 1+2.
Track 5 is the Audio Out from Reason 3+4.
Track 6 is set up to send MIDI channel 2 to Reason.
Track 7 is set up to send MIDI channel 3 to Reason.

This may work .... but I've had a couple of Friday-night bourbons, so I'll check back tomorrow in case I've made a mistake.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip real_painintherse.zip (3.3 KB, 142 views)
Old 12-14-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
KaoTeK

Much thanks to the both of you, will give it a try now though I am suffering from last nights bourbons ....and tequilas....... one day I'll learn....probably....
Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #11
KaoTeK

Ok Malcom, despite the Jacks/Jims that works perfect...now I gotta suss what I'm doing wrong - thanks so much for the help......Do I need the Midi event tracks or could I use 6 and 7 for the same purpose?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:35 AM   #12
KaoTeK

Much good Karma upon your heads Alex, Talisman and Malcom!!despite being hungover I have officially sussed what I did wrong.......it was the sending of midi......instead of sending to track one I was sending it to the Audio receive track -or- in other cases, enabling MIDI on track 1 (the reason track) hence the reason I was only getting one out.....*duh* Malcom, I have a bottle of Jim black label with your name on it should u ever make it out to this part of the world.....

Edit: What have you done......I was supposed to sleep of the hangover....now I'm gonna be up all night!! :P

Edit 2: did I mention I'm really, really happy that its working

Last edited by KaoTeK; 12-14-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
malcolmj

Quote:
.....it was the sending of midi......instead of sending to track one I was sending it to the Audio receive track -or- in other cases, enabling MIDI on track 1 (the reason track) hence the reason I was only getting one out....
Glad to hear you worked it out KaoTeK. The routing inside of Reaper is not exactly intuitive.

Hopefully Justin will finish the ReWire implementation soon.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
KaoTeK

heh...and to keep my side of the deal...the check is in the post Justin.... well in your inbox anyway