Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Quest The Wordsmith
Human being with feelings

Default ACID STYLE ONE-SHOT PITCH SHIFT?

I'm making the migration from Acid Pro 7 to Reaper. In Acid, a one-shot was a clip that was not affected by tempo or key. Just like a record player, when you pitch shifted a one-shot up or down, the sound got longer or shorter. How do you do this in reaper?

I have a sample of a horn hit. I'd like to pitch it down 3 keys. If I select the event and hit F2, that brings up "Media Item Properties". I unchecked "Preserve pitch when changing rate" and changed the "Pitch adjust" to my liking. Problem is, its TIME STRETCHING the audio as opposed to purely PITCH SHIFTING it. It's keeping the audio the same length but with true pitch shifting, the audio should get longer or shorter. In Acid, all I had to do was hit the "+" or "-" and voila. Anyone know how to achieve this in Reaper?

Also, there should be a dedicated section in the forums called "Migration". There would be a sub section for each DAW thats out there with specific how-to's making the migration much easier. Thanks for all your help out there!

~Quest~
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi Quest and welcome to the forums!

You nailed a function, that isn't implemented natively into Reaper (yet), but you can achieve it, if you install (or have installed) the SWS extensions.

Once they are installed, you can create two macros looking like this:
Item Properties: Pitch item up one semitone
Xenakios/SWS: Set item playrate based on item pitch (and reset pitch)
and
Item Properties: Pitch item down one semitone
Xenakios/SWS: Set item playrate based on item pitch (and reset pitch)
Then you can assign these macros to whatever keys you like i.e. the same ones as in Acid.

HTH

EDIT:

There are two other actions I just discovered which should do the same:
SWS: Decrease item rate by ~6% (one semitone) preserving length, clear 'preserve pitch'
and
SWS: Increase item rate by ~6% (one semitone) preserving length, clear 'preserve pitch'
Using these, you don't need to set up a macro.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 06-13-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Quest The Wordsmith

Thanks Mr. Data! I'm not at home to try it out yet, but I will as soon as I get home. I want to reiterate that it would benefit reaper if there were a dedicated tutorial series which navigated the user through transitioning from their old DAW (Acid, Pro Tools, Sonar, etc...) to Reaper. Even if peopel aren't looking to make a clean switch, it would allow countless people the ability to get a real "feel" for what Reaper can do, as opposed to having to climb the mountain of "figuring things out".

I tried to make the switch about a year ago to Reaper from Acid. I was in the middle of recording a full length project. Because of the deadline pressure, Reaper was too frustrating. Now that we're in between projects, I'm giving it another go. I love this DAW. A "transitioning from DAW X to Reaper" series would be worth its weight in gold. Just my 2 cents.

~Quest~
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Mr. Data

Yes, many users use Reaper as their second DAW (or their first DAW now, using their previous one as their second) and many are happy to leave their previous DAW behind. I doubt that somebody will take the pain to write this transitioning manual in a reliable and easy to read way. This special information you can get best in the forums by asking specific questions and in most cases you get answers very quick. Maybe a "migration" forum with sub-forums for Live, Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude, Pro Tools, Acid, Vegas... would be a good idea.

In many aspects Reaper looks like a toy compared to other DAWs, but it isn't at all. The drawback is that many functions are not as obvious as in other DAWs and many things are done differently. However, Reaper has many similarities to Acid and even more to (the audio side) of Vegas.

-Data
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
gloom

You don't actually have to use the SWS extensions at all, here's a quick tutorial on using only native Reaper-functions: http://blog.subsquare.com/quick-pitch-trick-in-reaper
gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
I'm making the migration from Acid Pro 7 to Reaper. In Acid, a one-shot was a clip that was not affected by tempo or key. Just like a record player, when you pitch shifted a one-shot up or down, the sound got longer or shorter. How do you do this in reaper?

I have a sample of a horn hit. I'd like to pitch it down 3 keys. If I select the event and hit F2, that brings up "Media Item Properties". I unchecked "Preserve pitch when changing rate" and changed the "Pitch adjust" to my liking. Problem is, its TIME STRETCHING the audio as opposed to purely PITCH SHIFTING it. It's keeping the audio the same length but with true pitch shifting, the audio should get longer or shorter. In Acid, all I had to do was hit the "+" or "-" and voila. Anyone know how to achieve this in Reaper?

Also, there should be a dedicated section in the forums called "Migration". There would be a sub section for each DAW thats out there with specific how-to's making the migration much easier. Thanks for all your help out there!

~Quest~
You may have already got this sorted but I had exactly the same problem as you as no other DAW would do it the way Acid Pro would..

But what I did was create and Action that does the standard pitching 'one-shot' style like Acid to the "+" and "-" . So the audio gets slower or faster like a sampler

Then, I took it further and created another shortcut for CTRL + "+" or "-" to pitch up down but leave it at the same length with the z-plane stretching (so like Acid Loops) so that you can go down in pitch but your audio or loop stays same length in bar.

Once I had both of these, I found so many uses and can bend audio at will (bit like Uri Geller but without the spoons)
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Quest The Wordsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You may have already got this sorted but I had exactly the same problem as you as no other DAW would do it the way Acid Pro would..

But what I did was create and Action that does the standard pitching 'one-shot' style like Acid to the "+" and "-" . So the audio gets slower or faster like a sampler

Then, I took it further and created another shortcut for CTRL + "+" or "-" to pitch up down but leave it at the same length with the z-plane stretching (so like Acid Loops) so that you can go down in pitch but your audio or loop stays same length in bar.

Once I had both of these, I found so many uses and can bend audio at will (bit like Uri Geller but without the spoons)
That's exactly what I ended up doing! The "+" and "-" keys are my sample-style pitch shifting shortcuts. I added the [Shift + "+/-"] to get 10 cent incriments, but haven't made the action for shifting with no change in tempo.

I loved Sony Acid Pro. I was with it from version 1 all the way to the latest, version 7. Sony seems to have all but abandoned the product. It's a shame. Its such an intuitive DAW with an easy learning curve. If Acid would have updated its routing capabilities, I just might not have discovered Reaper. I guess in a way its a blessing that Sony has slept on their products. Forced me to get out there. Reaper eats the competition!

Last edited by Quest The Wordsmith; 02-29-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Quest The Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
I loved Sony Acid Pro. I was with it from version 1 all the way to the latest, version 7. Sony seems to have all but abandoned the product. It's a shame. Its such an intuitive DAW with an easy learning curve. If Acid would have updated its routing capabilities, I just might not have discovered Reaper. I guess in a way its a blessing that Sony has slept on their products. Forced me to get out there. Reaper eats the competition!
Me too sir, I loved Acid Pro, and most of its users were newbies who discovered it in the late 90's whereby the pitching and stretching was jaw dropping at the time of doing the same thing on hardware samplers!

So I believe it had quite a following from its early users, but I sadly left it around Acid Pro 6, and even now (which is limited) I went back to the Sonic Foundry days and use Acid Pro 3.0

There was (and is) something nice and simple about its layout, GUI, and way it works, and I loved its one-shot pitching and timing. I still can't really get Reaper "as tight" as Acid Pro (see my post about Reaper start stopping and all the loops are out of sync)

I always wanted a Mac version of Acid, but Reaper filled that void for me, with more features too.

I have recently been back to the Sony Forums, and there's huge posts about the 'possibility" (OR NOT!) of Acid Pro 8.0. I think they have p*ssed off too many users who seem to have migrated to Reaper, and they still expect money off their users!? ... no chance.. Also I find the mods on their rude, and un-friendly.

I wouldn't go back to Acid now, unless the slight possibility of them (its a very tiny rumour over there) that they would merge Acid & Sound Forge to become an all in one DAW / Editor which sounds appealing!

But 3 or so years between updates, and it crashes - I stick to version 3 thanks (I don't use the MIDI) so the tight Audio is fine.

Now if Reaper jumped ahead and introduced a built in (seamless, not editor "page") version of Sound Forge into its app for lightening fast editing, and mastering, then I think Sony is doomed!

I for one, would get rid of Parallels on my Mac, and SF, all of which I need to use for editing as an Ext Editor.

Sorry, but I still think Reaper's editing with cut, fx, and re-glue, render, is clunky.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote