Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Default Opinions Please: The most expressive midi keyboard . . .

for virtual instruments (other than drums), below $300 (probably 49 key)? The keys of my old Radium 49 are difficult to control velocity with any consistency. And, I'm wondering about the benefits of aftertouch. What say you?

Kyle
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
dea-man

Default For me anyways....

...aftertouch is something I'd rather have (and turn off if I don't need it) than not have at all.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
plgrmsprgrs

dea-man,

Can you describe some uses for it? I'm not entirely clear on its possibilities.

Kyle
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
dea-man

Default OK, I'll give it a go.......

Aftertouch is a separate midi control available to you after you press a key down, on the midi keyboard.

It can trigger any number of midi events.

A simple and common use would be vibrato.

Suppose you were playing a guitar type patch on the keyboard. You play a note and it sounds like a guitar string being plucked. As you increase pressure on the note, the aftertouch is triggered by the amount of pressure you apply to the key. You may be triggering pitch oscillation, which sounds like vibrato being added to the plucked guitar string.

So a midi event is triggered AFTER you TOUCH the midi key.

Since aftertouch is programmable, there are many different uses and ways of hooking it up to different synth modules, to allow any number of creative ways to make your sound, more expressive.

Thus my comment about rather having it than not.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
plgrmsprgrs

Thanks dea-man. Any other keyboard users care to share your views. I'm probably going to go with the Axiom 2gen. But, the Akai MKwhatever looks good too.

Kyle
Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
dea-man

Default No problem....

The title of your OP was:

Opinions Please: The most expressive midi keyboard.

If you want your keyboard to be the most expressive, get one that has aftertouch.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
plgrmsprgrs

Yeah - I think I was not as clear as I should have been. At this point (especially after your great explanation) I'm sold on aftertouch. The question now is, "Which one?" In my price range I only see two options - MAudio and Akai. I suppose I'm wondering if folks are happy with their Axioms in this respect, because it's the most affordable for me at the moment.

Kyle
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
dea-man

Default Here's what I'd do...........

Like any instruments I buy, I would not make any commitment, until I actually got my hands on one, and tried and tested it out.

A visit to the local music store may be in order.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
plgrmsprgrs

Friday!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
igorpan

Honestly, as a piano player, I can't ever get used to semi-weighted keys that are found on almost all MIDI keyboards. I really think that for serious expressive playing you need piano-feel ( I think they call it hammer-action ). Those keys are somewhat heavier to press, but really give you the ability to control dynamics of playing A LOT better ( at least they do for me ). Also, I know aftertouch is a great thing, but I never had a keyboard that actually has one so......

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen88.html
Should be a great choice, but costs ~650€ in my country. I guess, it would cost 600-650$ for you since you live in USA.
igorpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpan View Post
Honestly, as a piano player, I can't ever get used to semi-weighted keys that are found on almost all MIDI keyboards. I really think that for serious expressive playing you need piano-feel ( I think they call it hammer-action ). Those keys are somewhat heavier to press, but really give you the ability to control dynamics of playing A LOT better ( at least they do for me ). Also, I know aftertouch is a great thing, but I never had a keyboard that actually has one so......

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen88.html
Should be a great choice, but costs ~650€ in my country. I guess, it would cost 600-650$ for you since you live in USA.
Actually I don't think I've met a real piano player that didn't prefer (demand) weighted keys. I ended up putting a full 88 weighted keyboard in my studio several years ago just for them.

The only problem with weighted keys is they can be a little sluggish for things like drums that need a quicker action.

For me velocity sensitivity is a huge factor,the more velocity layers it puts out the better. Unfortunately most promos don't seem to list the number of layers they spit out.

All my keyboards have aftertouch and there are times it can come in handy. I don't think I've ever used it for anything but vibrato. When playing live from the keyboard it can add a nice touch to things like flute, sax, most woodwinds in general, along with some synth sounds and most any solo instrument.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
sostenuto

Grotrian Steinweg Concert 225 departed recently (sad).
Roland KR577 Workstation (w/Ivory II) now in use.

Axiom Pro61 in Workstation #2 (Omnisphere, Trilian, StylusRMX, Reaper4).

Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Dave Grusin will always sound better on Pro61 than I did on the Grotrian. So much for weighted keys ! (just kidding) ... Drum Pads are fun too !

Pro61/49 have aftertouch. Price is a bit above OP stated range. Total capabilities are impressive. M-Audio Forum support has been responsive and helpful with variety of questions (no keyboard issues).

Glad for OP's opportunity to try demos. I gambled with on-line buy (and did ok).

Best of luck!

Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote