Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default Warn when recording and disk is full...

(Forgive me if this has changed recently; I'm NIFOR and too impatient to wait to confirm. Please ignore if so.)

I saw in the pre-release forum that the render dialog/process was getting some attention in dev1119.

Last I checked, Reaper was still silently failing when the disk being recorded to filled up. This has come up a few times in the forums over the years.

Personally I'd love it if Reaper had some combination of options from this list:

[x] warn before recording if recording destination has less than ___ MB free [edit: this exists already, d'oh]
[x] alert when disk fills up while recording
[x] alert on recording stop if disk filled while recording
[x] do not create zero-length items if recording to full disk

Any or all of those would be great... the current behavior has lead to significant heartache for me, and probably a few others as well. I understand that it may not be everyone's desire for such alerts to happen, but it seems like most of us would appreciate these safeguards being in place.

Last edited by clepsydrae; 11-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Well there is the warning you can enable in prefs/audio/recording to warn about low disk space when you open Reaper and even to always display the amount of free space. Also, doesn't the OS tell you when you're running low on disk space?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well there is the warning you can enable in prefs/audio/recording to warn about low disk space when you open Reaper
Oh, hang on, looks like "check free disk space on record start, warn if less than X" exists already, my bad on that.

I'd still like the other options, though, myself. I often use reaper to record long sessions, live shows, etc. (This is probably how the issue bit me the last time.) I could just increase the value in the above pref, of course, to cover the longest possible session, but it just seems like good manners for a program to say "hey, I ran out of disk space while doing that". Even CLI tools will say "no space left on device". And not creating nearly-invisible zero-length items seems like good practice.

Quote:
Also, doesn't the OS tell you when you're running low on disk space?
I thought windows only warns for the system drive, no? I have various things going on linux to monitor disks, but 99% of the time I'm not in front of the computer when this happens anyway (rather, playing the music being recorded).

It's not that I want reaper to hold my hand through absolutely any eventuality; it can't protect me from being dumb and forgetting to properly set the output path. I just think it'd be nice to have clearer feedback. It's a bummer to have the band go home and you sit down to mix and realize only the first third of the audio actually got recorded. Not at all reaper's fault, of course, just sayin.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
clepsydrae

Fabian points out here that something similar happens when rendering.