Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
ab1vl
Human being with feelings

Default Nice Install on Lubuntu 17.10

Gave the 86_64 a quick try (smoke test) on Lubuntu 17.10 w/ latest updates. Scratch system AMD 4 core 2.7 GHZ 2GB RAM, old 80 GB WD IDE disk. Set audio to ALSA from default JACK and selected nVidia hardware. Inserted a favorite mp3 source file and had editable audio. No tweaks or hacks needed to stock 17.10 distro.

This post intended for linux noobs and /or those (like me) who want to avoid a windows 10 forced upgrade. Not a comprehensive regression by any means. Hope to try VLC 3 soon.

Kudos to developers!
Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1vl View Post
Gave the 86_64 a quick try (smoke test) on Lubuntu 17.10 w/ latest updates. Scratch system AMD 4 core 2.7 GHZ 2GB RAM, old 80 GB WD IDE disk. Set audio to ALSA from default JACK and selected nVidia hardware. Inserted a favorite mp3 source file and had editable audio. No tweaks or hacks needed to stock 17.10 distro.

This post intended for linux noobs and /or those (like me) who want to avoid a windows 10 forced upgrade. Not a comprehensive regression by any means. Hope to try VLC 3 soon.

Kudos to developers!
What was the lowest latency you were able to achieve without xruns with your generic kernel?
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
ab1vl

Default Lubuntu 17.10 install

As I said, this was just a quick test to see if my favorite distro would be a good place to start using the 86_64 Linux build in earnest. All settings were the "out of the box" settings, on an old mobo I use as a cruncher for Milkyway at Home.

As the saying goes: "The art lies not in how well the bear dances; rather, that the bear dances at all."

The take away for me is that Lubuntu 17.10 is an easy, friendly distro that runs well on old hardware. For those thinking about having a go with the linux version of Reaper, for doing basic stuff, Lubuntu is a good foundation to build on. Kernel is 4.13.0-46 generic BTW.

FWIW, most of my Reaper work is based on using the piano roll MIDI editor to code in VSTi tracks to augment a small jazz band. The tracks are rendered to mp3 files played thru amps at the gig.

So if I (rarely) get glitches with note-ons and -offs when rendering I go to offline rendering to remedy.

HTH