Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Any native format besides VST supported?

I've seen a few native plugins for Linux that I would possibly be interested in trying, but they are other formats than VST.

Are any formats for plugins, like say LADSPA, whatever that is, supported, or does everything that isn't a Linux VST need to be wrapped or bridged to work in Linux.

If they have to be bridged or wrapped, I'd just use the Windows plugins I already have, but if some of these other supposed native Linux formats work, which ones?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
JamesPeters

JS plugins and Linux VST plugins will work in Reaper for Linux. So far that's all for native plugin format support.

There's this thread to request LV2 support, although I kind of derailed it...
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
JS plugins and Linux VST plugins will work in Reaper for Linux. So far that's all for native plugin format support.

There's this thread to request LV2 support, although I kind of derailed it...
Interesting thread. So LV2 is just the second iteration of LADSPA, and I guess that was around before native Linux VSTs.

I also see there is a LV2VST, but if I have to use some kind of bridge or wrapper, I might as well just use Windows plugins.

Ultimately, I would like to free myself from everything Windows.

That was kind of the reason I did that test song that only used native VST and JS REAPER plugins. Not only to prove to Jason that REAPER is a viable platform on Linux, but also to check for myself that it could all be done using only what comes with REAPER.

Native Linux 3rd party plugins would just be some icing on the cake, and since I've tried a couple plugins that claimed to be native Linux, but they didn't work in REAPER, I thought I'd ask.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
JamesPeters

It doesn't help when "LV2" looks similar enough to "Linux VST" especially when most VST plugins are at least VST 2.X. I'd assumed it meant "Linux VST 2.X".

There are more JS plugins than included in Reaper (MrElwood, Sonic Anomaly, etc.), plus all the Airwindows plugins, working natively in Linux. Add in some other Linux VSTs (DrumGizmo for instance) and it's not a bad selection. It's enough for me anyway, since I don't use Kontakt, Melodyne, Izotope etc.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
It doesn't help when "LV2" looks similar enough to "Linux VST" especially when most VST plugins are at least VST 2.X. I'd assumed it meant "Linux VST 2.X".

There are more JS plugins than included in Reaper (MrElwood, Sonic Anomaly, etc.), plus all the Airwindows plugins, working natively in Linux. Add in some other Linux VSTs (DrumGizmo for instance) and it's not a bad selection. It's enough for me anyway, since I don't use Kontakt, Melodyne, Izotope etc.
One set of plugins I tried that didn't work were the Linux version of the MDA plugins, which even claim to be VST, but they don't work for me. REAPER doesn't even see them after putting them into the VST folder. I also tried dropping them into the VST3 folder, but still no go. They do have .so extensions.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mda...atest/download

Another one that looked like it might be really cool was Bristol.

http://bristol.sourceforge.net/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bri...atest/download

But it appears that you have to compile this yourself, and besides the fact that I have no idea where to start with something like that, it doesn't say what format it will end up creating if I did spend the time to get it to compile, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of time doing all that just to find out in the end that it won't work with REAPER anyway.

There's also a nice looking brick wall limiter that I know for sure is an LADSPA. This was in fact the one that made me start this thread.

https://loudmax.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
JamesPeters

That MDA package looks as though it's 32-bit. (I can't get the .so files to show up in Reaper either but I'm using 64-bit Linux.)

Anyway:

Witti's MDA JS plugins (Among a large pack of plugins, there are the MDA ones in there too.)

Bristol is a standalone synth that you use with JACK to make it work with your DAW. It's not a plugin...at least not that I could find any info about. Anyway it's in the Debian repositories (I found it in Synaptic) so you don't need to compile. And the compile instructions, in the downloadable source package, seem really easy (if you can't get it from a repo). But it's not a plugin. Lots of Linux synths are standalone, meant to be used with JACK.

I've used LoudMax, years ago. I stopped using plugins meant specifically for that kind of thing though, as I started using more/different compressors/saturators. When I combine a few things each doing its own thing, I get more control. Maybe LoudMax has become something more interesting to me since then, but I've kind of stopped expecting one plugin to "do it all". For instance now on the master I like ReaComp and Airwindows IronOxide. Anyway there are a number of plugins which can help add loudness in various ways as a "one knob" sort of approach. Airwindows has a few, and there are some JS plugins that can help (and the GVST ones). Clippers, loudness thingies, multi-band compression, etc....it's all good.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
That MDA package looks as though it's 32-bit. (I can't get the .so files to show up in Reaper either but I'm using 64-bit Linux.)

Anyway:

Witti's MDA JS plugins (Among a large pack of plugins, there are the MDA ones in there too.)
Very cool and downloaded! The Sub-Bass plugin is one I've used to help kick drum out on some projects, so that will be nice to have as a native plug again. I haven't combed through them all but round pan and tremolo were a couple others I always liked.

Quote:
Bristol is a standalone synth that you use with JACK to make it work with your DAW. It's not a plugin...at least not that I could find any info about. Anyway it's in the Debian repositories (I found it in Synaptic) so you don't need to compile. And the compile instructions, in the downloadable source package, seem really easy (if you can't get it from a repo). But it's not a plugin. Lots of Linux synths are standalone, meant to be used with JACK.
Sure enough it was in Synaptic, but it doesn't seem to show up as anything that can be launched after installing it, so I killed it. Too bad it can't be used as a plugin. I spent a minute looking for a way to run it, but even if I could get it to run stand alone using Jack, it wouldn't have much value if I can't use it in a REAPER project.

Quote:
I've used LoudMax, years ago. I stopped using plugins meant specifically for that kind of thing though, as I started using more/different compressors/saturators. When I combine a few things each doing its own thing, I get more control. Maybe LoudMax has become something more interesting to me since then, but I've kind of stopped expecting one plugin to "do it all". For instance now on the master I like ReaComp and Airwindows IronOxide. Anyway there are a number of plugins which can help add loudness in various ways as a "one knob" sort of approach. Airwindows has a few, and there are some JS plugins that can help (and the GVST ones). Clippers, loudness thingies, multi-band compression, etc....it's all good.
I didn't really want LoudMax to increase volume in any way, but to simply hold the line specifically for my acoustic drums. It's WAY too easy to get a peak with acoustic drums, and reducing them to the point where no overs happen, makes them sound wimpy and timid.

For the test song I did using only REAPER's included FX, I had an instance of the JS Master Limiter on each of my four drum tracks. In the past, I've used a Windows plugin, which I do have working in WINE, but if I could go with something native that would be better.

The JS Mastering Limiter does do the job, but from what I gather, JS plugins are at least to some degree interpreted at runtime, so I'm assuming something that is 100% compiled would be more efficient.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Jooheas

Quote:

Anyway:

I have tried ,but it didn't work out
Jooheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
JamesPeters

Yeah JS aren't as efficient as VST if they're using the same code (I've found a few examples to test). But it's nitpicking if you're not using hundreds of plugins, at least for most of the JS plugins, since they're still relatively low CPU.

Try MrElwood's "Sky" limiter JS plugin. You might like it for your drums. Unless you're trying to add fatness/loudness.

You probably only downloaded the synth "headless", no UI. You'll also need monobristol which is the UI (from what I gather). When I searched in Synaptic for Bristol I also saw the monobristol package and its description.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooheas View Post
I have tried ,but it didn't work out
You've tried what? Everything I said in that post? And none of it worked?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
kmkrebs

Default re:bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Sure enough it was in Synaptic, but it doesn't seem to show up as anything that can be launched after installing it, so I killed it. Too bad it can't be used as a plugin. I spent a minute looking for a way to run it, but even if I could get it to run stand alone using Jack, it wouldn't have much value if I can't use it in a REAPER project.
If you are keen on running Bristol, use a front-end. pyBristol is the easiest and friendliest.

Also, if you're running JACK, there's no reason you can't use it from Reaper. You'll just have to do some routing in Catia or whatever other JACK flow control you use. Same goes for any other stand-alone Linux synth.
ie:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkrebs View Post
If you are keen on running Bristol, use a front-end. pyBristol is the easiest and friendliest.

Also, if you're running JACK, there's no reason you can't use it from Reaper. You'll just have to do some routing in Catia or whatever other JACK flow control you use. Same goes for any other stand-alone Linux synth.
Thanks for that info! I am indeed using Jack already and using Qjackctrl in order to make my two M-Audio cards both accessible for 4 channel recording.

If I have to go through some external routing to get it to work in REAPER though, it's not really worth the effort for me. When I'm in creative mode I want to be able to click REAPER's FX bin, pick an instrument and start playing or else I totally lose the inspiration to make something happen. I have a lot of decent models of real synths, but they are all (well almost all) Windows plugins running in WINE and bridged into REAPER using LinVST, which does let me load one up and start playing while I've still got the mojo.

I might reinstall Bristol and try the front end you linked, just to see what some of the models sound like, but it's less likely that I would try to use them in REAPER, simply due to the need to be the engineer when I only want to be the musician.