Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 AM   #41
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

I am not sure about that, XFCE is supposed to be light and can change color like a champ, not sure about the graphics, if you insist on XFCE, hmm.
I do not dare to answer that.
I have not checked the Linux Mint 19 Xfce though, maby maby, Cinnamon is their thing.
2 1/2 minutes later: Will take a look myself, curousity hit me.

Edit: Mint-Y-Dark appearance and Mint-Y icons brings you close on XFCE, all ive got..

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-04-2018 at 04:53 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #42
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
That's not the case here. Just downloaded AVL and put it into a USB stick. Jack must be started manually via jackctl, otherwise it's just ALSA (and pulse) running right out of the box. I wonder why jack is autostarting in you install.

Personally for audio in Linux I prefer using a minimal Debian installation and dropping in only the stuff I want and need. (Better on Sid than on Testing. It's smoother to deal with. Testing gives more headaches). The benefit of Debian is having the KXS repos available avoiding the need to compile and packaging a ton of stuff.

As a system base, a plain Debian minimal netinstall or a relatively light weight yet complete distro like Vsido are great starting points (or any antix flavor if you prefer to build a live system with persistence or to stay away from systemd for some reason (in this case replacing sysvinit by openrc would make your like easier). antix is great for custom live systems but a lot of homework is involved).

Of course, it's way easier for newcomers just installing AVL or KXS as dedicated audio systems than building your syetem from Arch, Debian or whatever. Notice that using AVL or KXS live is discouraged for production.
I think you may well be right, there is a whole bunch of stuff in AVLinux i have zero interest in to be honest, Mint was my choice the last time i looked down this rabbit hole about 5 years ago, but i will investigate Debian a bit.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #43
korakios

Long time , glad seeing Reaper on Linux as native and I am back in the forums

@gpunk_w my advice is using the distro you like ,then if have some problems in audio performance start googling around .
AVLinux simply has all tweaks for audio which saves you some digging.

But , you must spend some time ,since it’s a different OS and for sure don’t be afraid to open Qjackctl
Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #44
dug dog

I noticed this caveat on page 13 of the AVLinux manual. Well worth considertion.

Generally speaking, installation of AV Linux 2018 will currently be best suited to computers with hard drives formatted to the MSDOS partition table and BIOSes that pre-date UEFI OR have options in the BIOS to disable or circumvent Secure Boot.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #45
Jack Winter

Apparently it has some problem with EFI boot on 32b.

IME, most distros are suitable for audio, what normally needs to be done is to possibly install a lowlatency kernel, set rtprio/memlock in limits.conf, and set the priority of the soundcard interrupt thread with rtprio.

After that it's probably mostly a question of what you prefer and what packages are available in the repos.

But of course it seems that some have more problems than others, especially with pulseaudio/jack integration and other things. So always a YMMW depending on your likes and the quality of the distro.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #46
korakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I'm a Linux newb and have been reading through the AVLinux manual. I see what might be an issue for new users of AVLinux, though it is probably not a problem on an older Levovo lappie.

From page 13 of the AVLinux manual:

Generally speaking, installation of AV Linux 2018 will currently be best suited to computers with Hard Drives formatted to the MSDOS partition table and BIOSes that pre-date UEFI OR have options in the BIOS to disable or circumvent Secure Boot.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a modern UEFI based machine might not run AVLinux.
Nope,
A modern based UEFI machine is 64bit and can run AVLinux
Don’t know about 32bit , it’s ages since I used 32 bit distro
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #47
dug dog

I'm confused.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #48
korakios

Quote:
I'm confused.
About what ?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #49
dug dog

LOL. Sorry.

I don't understand why that statement is in the AVLinux manual.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #50
korakios

Quote:
LOL. Sorry.

I don't understand why that statement is in the AVLinux manual.
Because it was added recently and not fully tested . But it works fine (64bit)

What currently doesn’t work is installing on a M.2 ssd. On normal sata ssd it’s ok
Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #51
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
Because it was added recently and not fully tested . But it works fine (64bit)
Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #52
Win Conway

Doesn't it strike anybody else that this is still the downfall of Linux as a seriously considerable system for most everyday music makers.
Just read this thread, there is twelve billion distros of Linux and even the one that is supposedly boot and go is a mess for new users (AVLinux)

I understand that is the problem with being open and free, but seriously ?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #53
korakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Doesn't it strike anybody else that this is still the downfall of Linux as a seriously considerable system for most everyday music makers.
Just read this thread, there is twelve billion distros of Linux and even the one that is supposedly boot and go is a mess for new users (AVLinux)

I understand that is the problem with being open and free, but seriously ?
Why mess? What’s the problem ?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #54
Win Conway

Uh ?
Read the thread, AVlinux starts Jack as soon as it boots and Jacks latency cant be adjusted, that is a pretty big issue for an everyday non Linux user, that is why mess, high latency is a bit 1990s, so being able to adjust is needed.

My point is, a small Linux distro that is easy to install, supports Reaper and plugins via Wine is needed, but that is unlikely to happen because unless Justin does it, pretty much nobody capable has the interest to do it.

The rest are all a bloated mess of "Lets add this, this is cool, add that too" etc etc.

I would do it if i had the time to invest, reality is that i am old ill and just want to make music.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #55
dug dog

Quote:
It does me.

If I was planning to use linux for day to day tasks that don't include music production with Reaper, I think it would be a pretty simple matter of picking a distro and rolling with it.

I'm still hoping to find a distro that will do both without too much pain.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #56
Lokasenna

Quote:
Of all the distros available, why the insistence on AVLinux? It's maintained by one person and has a pretty small user base, so expecting it to be a perfectly smooth installation on whatever random hardware user X has seems overly optimistic.

Other distros also have the real-time kernel.
Other distros also cut down on bloat.
Other distros are also pretty straightforward to install and get running.

YMMV, but Ubuntu Studio was no more difficult to set up than Windows here, aside from things like my mouse that don't have Linux support and need a bit of hacking. The installer lets you choose which bundles (video, audio, photo, web design, etc) to include, and the software manager lets you remove whatever you don't want (other DAWs, say) with ease. Reaper installed fine, worked with PulseAudio out of the box, and worked directly with ALSA for the few minutes I fiddled with it.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #57
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Of all the distros available, why the insistence on AVLinux?
Good question. LOL.

I don't think there's any particular insistence on AVLinux. It's just that someone on these forums suggested it as a good option for audio work and I took that person's advice.

Your observation about it being a one-man show is a good point.

I will look at UBuntu Studio which, I believe, was also recommended by the same person I mentioned earlier.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #58
Win Conway

Have you read the thread, i asked what to use and was told to use AVLinux, im not insistent on anything lol
Old 09-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #59
Lokasenna

Perhaps "insistence" was the wrong word choice, but the rest of my comment stands. IMO AVLinux seems like a questionable recommendation unless the user really wants that "might be faster, but will be trickier to make everything work" tradeoff.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #60
korakios

I am afraid there is no distro that can 100% guarantee it will work out-of-the-box.
If something is not working as expected, I always google and post the exact issue on forums to find an answer to the specific problem

The same not working concept could apply to Windows . At first I couldn’t get any sound from my audio interface because the onboard was selected . Then I had huge latencies cause I didn’t know anything about Asio . Much better with Asio but I also learned about smaller buffers , then tweaking a bit the system and everything worked fine .
But not without spending time

Last edited by korakios; 09-08-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: not a vs post!
korakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #61
Win Conway

This is about Linux, not Wndows, Windows is invariably "Change a setting" Li ux is invariably "Terminal" big big difference.

Anyway i think at this point i need to take Jack Winter at his word in anothet thread and stick to Windows, even though i dont actually want to anymore, it is still the better option.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #62
SmajjL

Manjaro Cinnamon just got cuter with latest..

Anyway, if you try that one, and go to its add/remove software thingie and there, on top, preferences activate AUR, not default, then you can even find REAPER, Cadence and what have we.
And you are kinda more the boss of what you have installed and stuff.
And nope, I am not going to mess with one gpunk today!
Hope you get sorted, I for one will always have Linux installed, why not?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #63
dug dog

Quote:

Anyway i think at this point i need to take Jack Winter at his word in anothet thread and stick to Windows, even though i dont actually want to anymore, it is still the better option.
Unfortunately, I've arrived at the same conclusion. Getting Ubuntu Studio set up and running was no problem but then I looked at the instructions for setting up Reaper:

Requirements:
+ libc6, libstdc++ for gcc 4.x or later
+ libgdk-3 (you can also target headless or libgdk-2 if you build your own libSwell from WDL

Huh? Target headless? Libswell?

I'm not against making an effort to learn new things but, in this case, I don't mind admitting that I'm in way over my head. I think I'll wait for "Reaper In Linux For Dummies".
Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #64
Lokasenna

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've arrived at the same conclusion. Getting Ubuntu Studio set up and running was no problem but then I looked at the instructions for setting up Reaper:

Requirements:
+ libc6, libstdc++ for gcc 4.x or later
+ libgdk-3 (you can also target headless or libgdk-2 if you build your own libSwell from WDL

Huh? Target headless? Libswell?

I'm not against making an effort to learn new things but, in this case, I don't mind admitting that I'm in way over my head. I think I'll wait for "Reaper In Linux For Dummies".
Reaper is literally "download, run the install script". Those instructions are for compiling the SDK I believe.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #65
cfillion

You likely have all of the requirements pre-installed from your OS.

(Headless means without a user interface. libSwell is essentially the open-source part of REAPER.)

Last edited by cfillion; 09-09-2018 at 03:01 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #66
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
at this point there's simply no need to leave Windows, because reliable and fast win7 is still supported and works ideally. The biggest problem for me in linux right now, that most plugins i use, are not available natively in linux yet and fiddling with shitty drivers and permissions is a pain. But at some point, when win7 will become obsolete, i'll definitely jump on linux, so i think, it's good to start learning it earlier, than later=), small step by small step. For now i do everything in windows, but sometimes i record audio in linux and it works ok, latency is very small, i like it
I had planned to ease into Linux for the same reasons. A month or so into it, and I'm only booting Windows to check things. I booted Windows for almost five minutes today, only because I wanted to verify that the Linux version of REAPER and the Windows version behaved the same for a particular function. They did, and the moment I verified it, I booted back into Xubuntu.

By the time January 2020 rolls around, I'll have every machine in my house running Linux and I'll be somewhat of an expert with it by then.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #67
SmajjL

Yep, i'm glad to be just a simple penguin now, because I was totally lost penguin when I started, not in a hurry either and, I am curious to check out distros and what have we.

I have the WINE thing and Wineasio to mess with now, I could actually get Live 10 to be installed even and run with PlayOnLinux, but yet to figure out the asio part, I shall find out.
REAPER is nema problemo, should be nema problemo.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #68
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I had planned to ease into Linux for the same reasons. A month or so into it, and I'm only booting Windows to check things. I booted Windows for almost five minutes today, only because I wanted to verify that the Linux version of REAPER and the Windows version behaved the same for a particular function. They did, and the moment I verified it, I booted back into Xubuntu.

By the time January 2020 rolls around, I'll have every machine in my house running Linux and I'll be somewhat of an expert with it by then.
On week three now, I think, and I've only had to use Windows for some specific PDF features that you need Adobe for since they have no Linux support.

Still a lot of rough edges though - GIMP, for instance, is clunky and has trouble with a decent number of basic Photoshop tasks, and I have yet to find a file manager that was as good as plain ol' Explorer.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #69
Glennbo

Quote:
On week three now, I think, and I've only had to use Windows for some specific PDF features that you need Adobe for since they have no Linux support.

Still a lot of rough edges though - GIMP, for instance, is clunky and has trouble with a decent number of basic Photoshop tasks, and I have yet to find a file manager that was as good as plain ol' Explorer.
I tried a bunch of different distros before settling in on Xubuntu. For a file manager, I'm quite comfortable using Thunar, but I might not be using or needing all the functions that you need. I also like Mousepad for an editor rather than the geeky editors like VIM, which I do have installed but don't really use.

I do NOT at all like living in a terminal window, so I frequently will open a terminal window only to issue the command "sudo thunar", and then I can navigate to anywhere on the drive and change anything I want, and do it all 100% graphically. Double clicking on a file, say like /etc/fstab will open the file in Mousepad with sudo permission because it inherits the permission of Thunar. I do NOT advise doing this if you don't know what you are doing, because you really could screw the OS up.

I plan to set myself a script up to launch thunar with sudo permissions and put it all on a hotkey, but I just haven't done it yet. One thing I DID like about Manjaro was a native "sudo thunar" function, but I had issues with it in other areas (like the WAY more difficult installation of things using PACMAN rather than Synaptic).

I had been using GIMP on the Windows side of the house for some time now, so I was pleased to see it in Linux, along with an Amiga emulator, Handbrake, I_View (installed using WineTricks), Stellarium (one of the best virtual planetariums), VLC, Kodi, Google Earth, Libre Office (was using that in Windows already too), Firefox, Thunderbird, and of course REAPER. I was able to click my way into installing all of it, mostly using Synaptic. I've got almost identical functionality now in Linux, which makes me need Windows less and less.

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-09-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #70
JamesPeters

Quote:
You might want to check your version of Gimp. If it's not the latest (2.10.X), I recommend finding a PPA or whatnot. I've noticed a lot of repositories have versions prior to 2.10. I found this in the Ubuntu Studio documentation as to why that's the case for them at the moment.

I'm still using Windows, but Gimp 2.10 is a pretty big improvement in a number of ways. It's now past the make-or-break point for me to use it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #71
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
For a file manager, I'm quite comfortable using Thunar, but I might not be using or needing all the functions that you need.
It's serviceable, just feels like I'm using the "light" version of a DAW with only 8 tracks and 4 fx, etc.

Quote:
I do NOT at all like living in a terminal window, so I frequently will open a terminal window only to issue the command "sudo thunar", and then I can navigate to anywhere on the drive and change anything I want, and do it all 100% graphically.
I grew up with DOS, thankfully, otherwise I'd be in the same boat. This is still something where Linux really suffers as far as being ready for Ye Olde End User - the average person should never have to open a terminal in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You might want to check your version of Gimp. If it's not the latest (2.10.X), I recommend finding a PPA or whatnot. I've noticed a lot of repositories have versions prior to 2.10. I found this in the Ubuntu Studio documentation as to why that's the case for them at the moment.
Oh, neat. I didn't need MyPaint anyway. Still has the most notable issue I noticed with 2.8 though - no layer effects. If you look really, really hard (because the GIMP plugin site is gone) you can find a download for a Python script that adds them, and it works, but it's a little stuttery and feels like it's going to crash if you sneeze.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #72
Glennbo

Quote:
It's serviceable, just feels like I'm using the "light" version of a DAW with only 8 tracks and 4 fx, etc.

I grew up with DOS, thankfully, otherwise I'd be in the same boat. This is still something where Linux really suffers as far as being ready for Ye Olde End User - the average person should never have to open a terminal in this day and age.
I also grew up using MS-DOS v3.3 thru v6.22, but had come from a background using an Amiga 2000, so I thought DOS was pretty limited and lame, but I had to use it in my job capacity as a programmer for a DOS application.

So, even though I *can* do pretty much everything I need to do using a terminal window, I still don't *like* doing it that way. I can navigate a nested folder structure ten times faster in Thunar than I can typing the commands to get to the same location, and I type pretty fast.

Quote:
Oh, neat. I didn't need MyPaint anyway. Still has the most notable issue I noticed with 2.8 though - no layer effects. If you look really, really hard (because the GIMP plugin site is gone) you can find a download for a Python script that adds them, and it works, but it's a little stuttery and feels like it's going to crash if you sneeze.
I am also running GIMP 2.8 and not using MyPaint, but so far I haven't hit any barriers with things I used it for in Windows. What do you use layer effects on? I mostly use GIMP and I_View as photo editing tools, and about as advanced as I get with that would be to make the unsightly cables disappear in a shot of the studio or similar functions.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #73
Lokasenna

I think it would be neat to have a file manager with the terminal built-in so it just slides down from the top of the window, Quake-style. (I know those exist, I mean in the same window).

Re: layer effects - Text effects are the big one - glows, shadows, etc. In 2.8 you can convert the text to a path and then... uh.. make a layer from it... and then use the Script-Fu layer effects on that? It lets you try to use the Script-Fu ones directly but then throws an error and makes a new layer with crap on it anyway.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #74
Glennbo

Quote:
I think it would be neat to have a file manager with the terminal built-in so it just slides down from the top of the window, Quake-style. (I know those exist, I mean in the same window).

Re: layer effects - Text effects are the big one - glows, shadows, etc. In 2.8 you can convert the text to a path and then... uh.. make a layer from it... and then use the Script-Fu layer effects on that? It lets you try to use the Script-Fu ones directly but then throws an error and makes a new layer with crap on it anyway.
Ahh, I haven't really done any text FX with GIMP. I used to do that kind of stuff with my Amiga and a Supra-Gen genlock for video production. I'd also fly the text on a spline path, or do rolls with it for things like credits and what not.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #75
dug dog

Quote:
Reaper is literally "download, run the install script". Those instructions are for compiling the SDK I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
You likely have all of the requirements pre-installed from your OS.

(Headless means without a user interface. libSwell is essentially the open-source part of REAPER.)
Thanks for the info, guys.

That's the type of stuff that newbs need to know and I'm sure it won't be long before that info will all be readily available.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #76
Win Conway

Getting Reaper to run was the easiest thing i have ever done in Linux lol
Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #77
JamesPeters

Quote:
Still has the most notable issue I noticed with 2.8 though - no layer effects. If you look really, really hard (because the GIMP plugin site is gone) you can find a download for a Python script that adds them, and it works, but it's a little stuttery and feels like it's going to crash if you sneeze.
lol Yeah I know about layerfx. I use the Python version which allows "realtime" preview. Actually I hardly use it anymore. For the most part I use G'Mic. Most of the image editing I do is to "develop" photos and fix perspective/lens warp. G'Mic has some really good stuff in it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #78
Snap

Quote:
I have yet to find a file manager that was as good as plain ol' Explorer
Look no further: SpaceFM
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote