Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Greg Savage
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Midi Question

Hi All,

so here is my question, please bare with me as I try to explain what I'd like to achieve.

1. I'm using Battery 4 to lay down drum tracks.
2. I'm exploding each sound to its own lane

Is there a way to make it so each sound that has been isolated to its own track functions on it's own?

Meaning if the snare and hi hat or on their own tracks, I'd be able to play them across all keys?

So far, the only way I can find this being possible is if I load an instance of battery for each sound in the drum kit, which is not what I want to do.

Applications like Fl studio, or Reason for example, will allow you to send any sound from it's drum machine, to the piano roll and it acts as it's own entity, can this be done in Reaper?

Thanks in advance
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
1. I'm using Battery 4 to lay down drum tracks.
2. I'm exploding each sound to its own lane

Is there a way to make it so each sound that has been isolated to its own track functions on it's own?

Meaning if the snare and hi hat or on their own tracks, I'd be able to play them across all keys?
What exactly do you mean with 'play them across all keys?'.

In general, you can assign each cell to a Direct Output in order to route Audio to separate Tracks in Reaper:
- https://support.native-instruments.c...vidual-Outputs
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4IHvxrdEGg

Each cell in the Kit is triggered by the assigned MIDI key range: https://support.native-instruments.c...nge-in-BATTERY

So you can use one keyboard to trigger different cells via the assigned MIDI notes and having the audio output routed to separate tracks.
Or are you looking for something else?
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
foxAsteria

I don't use Battery, but I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fljtolK9PTU
Old 09-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
What exactly do you mean with 'play them across all keys?'.
Meaning the sound on that channel can be played across all octaves
Old 09-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I don't use Battery, but I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fljtolK9PTU
Yea, I'm aware of this but trying to make Reaper have a specific functionality that doesn't involve me having to set a key range for each individual sound. Thanks though.

What do you use specifically?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
solger

Quote:
Meaning the sound on that channel can be played across all octaves
Well, as far as I know, in Battery this would be done by setting a key range for the cell and - if you also want sample pitch change over the assigned key range - enabling (Key Track), as seen in the link foxAsteria posted.

In addition, if you set a different MIDI Input channel for each cell in the Setup Tab > MIDI Input as well, you can do this for different cells at the same time.
As simple example:

Kick: MIDI channel 1, Key Track enabled, C-2/G8
Snare: MIDI channel 2, Key Track enabled, C-2/G8

But in this case you would need to switch MIDI channels to trigger different samples ...

As a side note: in general, you can make a blank Battery Kit with your preferred cell settings and save it as 'Template' Kit. This way you can load a pre-prepared 'Template' Kit and drop in the samples you want to use.

Last edited by solger; 09-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
What do you use specifically?
I use Maschine. In Maschine it's called something like Keyboard Pad Mode, which is what I googled to find that vid.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Well, as far as I know, in Battery this would be done by setting a key range for the cell and - if you also want sample pitch change over the assigned key range - enabling (Key Track), as seen in the link foxAsteria posted.

In addition, if you set a different MIDI Input channel for each cell in the Setup Tab > MIDI Input as well, you can do this for different cells at the same time.
As simple example:

Kick: MIDI channel 1, Key Track enabled, C-2/G8
Snare: MIDI channel 2, Key Track enabled, C-2/G8

But in this case you would need to switch MIDI channels to trigger different samples ...

As a side note: in general, you can make a blank Battery Kit with your preferred cell settings and save it as 'Template' Kit. This way you can load a pre-prepared 'Template' Kit and drop in the samples you want to use.
Yea, that's what I'm trying to avoid. A lot of other does don't require that, they just read the indi channel as it's own sound and will play it automatically on all octaves if need, there's a function for it, just thought I could find that in Reaper.

Thanks anyway