Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #1
plus9db
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Napa, CA
Posts: 4
Default Where are we re hardware fader controllers

we're new to Reaper after 25+ on PT and what is currently a "near perfect" EuCon surface integration.
Tho heavily invested in the mothership, we need to make a clean break.
Have read and physically explored pretty much every current option available regarding a multiple fader control surface under Reaper and it's far from solid.
Yes CSI is promising and some factory kit has touted integration, I can't get a straight answer or performance standard anywhere and this may be the deal breaker.
We have 5x systems that must be tour ready and stable.
What's hot and what's not???

MacPro 5,1 2x 3.66-6/128GB Mojave: Reaper_6.15 hosting all the usual suspects.

Currently we have access to but uncommitted to:
1. 2x AVID Artist Mix
2. SSL Nucleus v.1
3. ICON Pro X + XS
4. Mackie MCU (c.2018)

thank you much in advance and go...
plus9db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
pwallin
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus9db View Post
we're new to Reaper after 25+ on PT and what is currently a "near perfect" EuCon surface integration.
Tho heavily invested in the mothership, we need to make a clean break.
Have read and physically explored pretty much every current option available regarding a multiple fader control surface under Reaper and it's far from solid.
Yes CSI is promising and some factory kit has touted integration, I can't get a straight answer or performance standard anywhere and this may be the deal breaker.
We have 5x systems that must be tour ready and stable.
What's hot and what's not???

MacPro 5,1 2x 3.66-6/128GB Mojave: Reaper_6.15 hosting all the usual suspects.

Currently we have access to but uncommitted to:
1. 2x AVID Artist Mix
2. SSL Nucleus v.1
3. ICON Pro X + XS
4. Mackie MCU (c.2018)

thank you much in advance and go...
If I have understood correctly, PT programmers have a direct access to a EuCon code, so they have an advantage on that. CSI seem to have some bugs to solve, so it may take a while to sort them out. Sorry, but I do not have experience to recommend those other controllers you listed. My X-touch seems to be working well with CSI, except faders rattle with slow automation, but that may not be a CSI's fault I think.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 9,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
My X-touch seems to be working well with CSI, except faders rattle with slow automation, but that may not be a CSI's fault I think.
Did you ever definitively find out how many bits the XTouch (MC-type -> "Universal" and "One") faders send and receive ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
pwallin
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Did you ever definitively find out how many bits the XTouch (MC-type -> "Universal" and "One") faders send and receive ?

-Michael
Not 100% sure, but very much in impression that they are 7 bit.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
pwallin
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
If I have understood correctly, PT programmers have a direct access to a EuCon code, so they have an advantage on that. CSI seem to have some bugs to solve, so it may take a while to sort them out. Sorry, but I do not have experience to recommend those other controllers you listed. My X-touch seems to be working well with CSI, except faders rattle with slow automation, but that may not be a CSI's fault I think.
I just read that some recent EUCON problems has been cleared. There are still some, but Geoff is doing a good work.
pwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,733
Default

Yeah, haven't checked today's build yet, but Eucon is pretty darn solid on CSI. If you're looking to integrate all your controllers into a single hub, I think CSI will best fit the bill.

Sends are being reworked in CSI but I hope that they'll be back and fixed relatively soon now that some of the other issues have been solved for.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Nick Morris
Human being with feelings
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 486
Default

as of right now, Faders are solid in Eucon through CSI. Rotaries seem to be good too now.
__________________
www.ElaireStudios.com
Robo-Mic RMS robotic remote controlled mic stands aimed at mic'ing amps
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
nightscope
Human being with feelings
 
nightscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,067
Default



ns

Last edited by nightscope; 10-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #9
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Krefeld, Germany
Posts: 9,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwallin View Post
but very much in impression that they are 7 bit.
Happy rattling

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:20 PM   #10
siniarch
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus9db View Post
we're new to Reaper after 25+ on PT and what is currently a "near perfect" EuCon surface integration.
Tho heavily invested in the mothership, we need to make a clean break.
Have read and physically explored pretty much every current option available regarding a multiple fader control surface under Reaper and it's far from solid.
Yes CSI is promising and some factory kit has touted integration, I can't get a straight answer or performance standard anywhere and this may be the deal breaker.
We have 5x systems that must be tour ready and stable.
What's hot and what's not???

MacPro 5,1 2x 3.66-6/128GB Mojave: Reaper_6.15 hosting all the usual suspects.

Currently we have access to but uncommitted to:
1. 2x AVID Artist Mix
2. SSL Nucleus v.1
3. ICON Pro X + XS
4. Mackie MCU (c.2018)

thank you much in advance and go...
I'm not personally familiar with all those 4 options, but I do have a QCon Pro G2 which is very similar to the ICon Qcon Pro X + XS. and I believe plenty people have gotten their Pro X + XS to work well with Reaper via CSI. If you use it with the manufacturer's drivers, it also works but the functionality is limited and some buttons are not even being used.

Now CSI might be a little more difficult to set up. (not as much as it used to be. Now there are even some good tutorials on setup) But you will have more functionality out of your units.

Hope that helps.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.