Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #41
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Comp areas unsync with fades when their edges are not attaching to the edge of the item.

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:16 PM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Comp areas unsync with fades when their edges are not attaching to the edge of the item.
That seems like the expected behavior to me. The item in the comp lane no longer matches the item in the source lane, and not just because the comp area fadein/fadeout has changed.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:16 PM   #43
Vagelis

And another weird behavior

Old 03-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #44
Hipox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I guess the text is not meant to be black when using dark theme?

This makes me think.. how about going also the opposite route and allowing to explode a fixed lanes track to separate individual tracks?

If any processing (like volume, pan, fx etc.) has happened on the former fixed lanes track, Reaper could ask if that processing should be kept and maybe give options to create either a folder or a receive track or add it to each new individual track (with checkbox to remember the answer).

Such an option would be very useful for the situation I run into where I start to work with fixed lanes for what I believe are simple layering tasks and later realize I do need the additional mixing/processing flexibility that actual tracks offer and it becomes a hassle to migrate stuff from lanes to tracks manually.
+1
Hipox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #45
IrishRover79

I like the new collapsable fixed lanes feature. Everything feels good to me: the button in the sidebar, the way things look, how it works with the existing play only next/previous lane actions, the little up and down arrows which allow you to switch comp areas. Great stuff!

I have also tried swipe comping while only showing one lane. This seems to be possible now and works quite well. If this is an intentional feature, my only comment is that we might need a bit more contrast to see the comp areas clearly...

Last edited by IrishRover79; 03-28-2023 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fix wording
IrishRover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #46
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
That seems like the expected behavior to me. The item in the comp lane no longer matches the item in the source lane, and not just because the comp area fadein/fadeout has changed.
But then it unsyncs and in this case:

Because after comping it needs to drag the fade to the opposite direction first till the end, and then to the normal direction to create it.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #47
Vagelis

When moving a fade and then moving it back where it was from the edge of the area, shouldn't it show no fade at all?

Old 03-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #48
FeedTheCat

Found one more edge case:

Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM   #49
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

hmm what macOS version? did you switch from light to dark while that list was open?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:45 PM   #50
bolgwrad

Quote:
When moving a fade and then moving it back where it was from the edge of the area, shouldn't it show no fade at all?

A subtle one. My humble take: I suppose the logic is that the fade is applied to the comp, not the source. If you adjust the width of the source lane comp selection (your dark green item), the fade you have delineated in the comp lane is applied in the same way that item fades retain their start and end positions in an item in a regular track.
You can adjust the comp lane fade to your heart's content but it will not affect (unsync) the source lane.
If you extend the comp selection in the source lane beyond the source item, the fade you have imposed on the comp lane is correctly ignored, ie no fade at all.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 03-28-2023 at 05:48 PM. Reason: 'you have imposed'
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #51
bolgwrad

A rather gruesome mockup of what I was visualising, hope it helps.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:31 PM   #52
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
hmm what macOS version? did you switch from light to dark while that list was open?
macOS 10.14. Dark mode was already active when starting Reaper, didn’t touch anything.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:19 AM   #53
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
If you extend the comp selection in the source lane beyond the source item, the fade you have imposed on the comp lane is correctly ignored, ie no fade at all.
Yes that's my issue, I think it should restore the initial fade position with the initial comp area position and not beyond it.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:51 AM   #54
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Confirmed on macOS 12.6.3, although the Default theme looks fine. So rummage rummage it's this tweak:

I don't yet know if enabling this has other side effects for my theme, but it fixes the issue for me.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:24 AM   #55
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I never used the old take system with clients. For personal projects, yes. With clients I used other DAWs. recpass is a good thing but you always need to zoom in to see the number in the item name. It hasn't yet grown up as there is an easy way to change recpass number and name ("ConcertTAKENUMBER", "RehearsalTAKENUMBER"...) and a big window that shows the current recpass during recording and the upcoming when record stops. Especially with many takes I find it very inconvenient to scroll through lanes to search for the right take numbers... Could be very easily solved with collapsable sub tracks.
Actually you can set the next recpass number, action : " set global recording pass counter" or reset it to "reset global recording pass..."
Typically in the studio after a few "soundcheck" takes, i'll do "save as", delete the takes from the new session and reset the take count.
But, as you say, this IS REALLY MISSING a window to display the current/upcoming recpass number. have done feature request for this, also there is a script (from meso ada mespotine) which sort of does this but it gets super lagy and unusable when you have a high track and take count.

I also have file names set to $recpasse-trackname-time, and then i can have the project media window open, filter by one track name so i get a list of all take numbers, and i can click in the list to jump to that take number.

I'm not using the take system when working like this, just have all the takes following each other. But lanes could be helpfull here although the comping would be unrelevant because in these situations the music is not played on the grid and the takes rarely perfectly line up vertically.

I'm not sure i understand how the scrolling would be solved by collapsible sub tracks. Wouldn't you just end up scrolling vertically and horiziontally to look for the right take?
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:32 AM   #56
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
I'm not sure i understand how the scrolling would be solved by collapsible sub tracks. Wouldn't you just end up scrolling vertically and horiziontally to look for the right take?
During editing, I switch between "all takes" and "comp" a lot. Subtracks is a simple on off that keeps your prefered item height while zooming is continuous. I could imagine a zoom solution that shows every take in the same height that a whole track has in collapsed state. That way we could toggle between collapsed and expanded takes.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:45 AM   #57
Vagelis

Is there any chance we get an option to always reflect all edits from comp lane to the sources?
I can't find or think of a better/safe way to stay always in sync when we want it, I think it would be great to have this solution.

And to be honest our initial source could still stay untouched if we first copy it and then edit the copy.

EDIT: Or we could save the initial comps with the track versions script by daniellumertz.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=264124

(It would be nice though if the devs are also planning to add something like this natively)

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-29-2023 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:41 AM   #58
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Confirmed on macOS 12.6.3, although the Default theme looks fine. So rummage rummage it's this tweak:

I don't yet know if enabling this has other side effects for my theme, but it fixes the issue for me.
ah ok thanks!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:58 AM   #59
mlprod

Very nice to see some love for hardware outputs!
Old 03-29-2023, 06:45 AM   #60
Sexan

Visibility for collapse button is poor on V5, collapsed to single lane even more

Can there be and option in collapsed state when creating new empty lane to always go to that lane?

ATM you need to pin point at witch lane should it happen. When list is big it gets little clunky to find it. Just some faster shortcut to create empty lane and set it as current

EDIT: It appears action "INSERT EMPTY LANE AT TOP" does that automagically. Can this option be in the context menu also? Seems weird its not there already since Comping has all possible combinations in context menu

EDIT2: Collapse button has weird clicking behavior, sometimes skips the click (I think we have discussed this in some very early collapse pre)

EDIT3: It is interfering with double click track context (it selects all items if clicking is fast and skips toggling button)

(first slow then fast, this issue does not happen with lane button/s)

Last edited by Sexan; 03-29-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:47 AM   #61
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Visibility for collapse button is poor on V5, collapsed to single lane even more
It's a theme element that doesn't exist in the v5 theme, so I don't think that's something we can fix. You can adjust the color if you like.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #62
Sexan

Oh ok no problem!
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:14 PM   #63
nepenthe

Quote:

How did you get the MIDI device list to fit six rows for input devices? I seem to be stuck at 4 rows but would like to know how to get a bit more space since I have a few dozen inputs.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:16 PM   #64
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's a theme element that doesn't exist in the v5 theme, so I don't think that's something we can fix. You can adjust the color if you like.
Action similar to Ctrl-L "Show All Takes In Lanes (When Room)" could be a nice global Collapse/Expand behaviour that doesn't depend on GUI/theme.

Even if it were simply tacked onto the current Ctrl-L default action, would feel very natural to toggle globally between Lanes/Collapse just like we have been with Items forever.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #65
OLSHALOM

I want to second all posts about high lane counts.
It would be really great, if this gets some love.

I could imagine a per track scrollbar just for lanes and having the height of lanes staying the same when expanded, would be very convinient.

In my opinion this also fits into the concept of the tcp's left side.

Best regards
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:26 PM   #66
Thonex

Awesome Job Devs!!

I know I'm late to the party, I was out of the studio yesterday so I only got a chance to work on the new pre-release today. That said, I love the show/hide Fixed Lanes feature along with the up-and-down arrows to go between takes.

For those who are experiencing "issues" when moving unsynced comps around, I feel like a lot of those issues (not all… but a lot) would be solved if they used the action:

Action: Copy unsynced comps areas to new lane and re-comp.

I may be more traditional in my approach to comping, but reconciling unsynced comps is a tough one.

Maybe when a Comp Lane is unsynced, the swipe lane is grayed out on the unsynced areas and it just behaves like a regular audio editor, until the user does the action: Copy unsynced comps areas to new lane and re-comp?

Or someone once recommended an Unsync Comp Mode where you can move and x-fade to your heart's content without affecting the Fixed lanes.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 03-30-2023, 03:57 AM   #67
Vagelis

Hey Schwa I think i just had a cool idea regarding re-comp the edits from unsynced areas. So the idea is instead of adding a new lane and re-comp the edits, to implode the source with the new edits in takes.
That way it won't take any space in lanes each time we re-comp and we could switch with takes from the source to the edits on the same lane. I think it might work pretty well.

Regarding collapsing the lanes to show only the comp lane and staying always in sync, how about if there was a conversion to takes as the previous take system where only one take is visible with an option to switch takes? And then a conversion to FIL when we want to comp again. Just thought of this because maybe it could help with fades and edits since it would happen in normal items.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:26 AM   #68
Vagelis

Here's a gif kind of showing how it could look to always stay in sync when only the comp lane is visible, but also how nice and predictable is to edit items and not deal with areas (synced or unsynced).
Only thing is that switching back to lanes should remember the comping state.

This could serve PRETTY nice for us who want to stay always in sync as another mode, and I guess it would be also familiar to the users of the old take system.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:44 AM   #69
lexaproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I created Zoom To Mouse custom actions for Super easy project navigation. Could see this working nicely in Fixed Lanes, if Vertical Zoom targeted Lanes and not the track as a whole!

^^ for Zoom Out just replace all the above with their Zoom Out versions.
Great idea thanks for sharing!!!
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:40 AM   #70
mehmethan

Quote:

+1
mehmethan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:55 AM   #71
mehmethan

When using fixed track lanes on some tracks, it adds an extra unused space for comping buttons to all tracks even there is no comping on other tracks. I think it would be a better alignment if that combing button space effects only the tracks on which fixed track lanes is enabled.

Last edited by mehmethan; 08-13-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:37 AM   #72
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
When using fixed track lanes on some tracks, it adds an extra unused space for comping buttons to all tracks even there is no comping on other tracks. I think it would be a better alignment if that combing button space effects only the tracks on which fixed track lanes is enabled.
Actually would prefer that too as an option. Would also make it easier to visually distinguish fixed lanes tracks. One could also make WALTER layouts for tracks in fixed lane mode.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:45 AM   #73
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
Unselect this option

Old 03-30-2023, 07:10 AM   #74
mehmethan

Quote:
Unselect this option

Great, thank you.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #75
benmiller

Quote:
Hey Schwa I think i just had a cool idea regarding re-comp the edits from unsynced areas. So the idea is instead of adding a new lane and re-comp the edits, to implode the source with the new edits in takes.
That way it won't take any space in lanes each time we re-comp and we could switch with takes from the source to the edits on the same lane. I think it might work pretty well.
Sound nice, but if your edit includes splits which are not in the original source, then making takes is making all those split again, and you might end up with quite a few hurdles of the old take system which we are trying to avoid with the new comping. So maybe as an alternate action, "create take on referenced source lane"? would be interesting to try it out.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote