Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #41
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

That's a very elegant solution Klangfarben. Would totally love that!
Old 03-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #42
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yes, creating an aggregate device makes a lot of sense since you then wouldn't have to select on a track by track basis. The other alternative is having a checkbox next to a midi device in the midi device prefs list to select/deselect from ALL. That way, you could tailor ALL to only the devices you wanted.

Something like this:

So, in the case of the above only loopback ports 1 and 3 would be routed to ALL.
Ah yes. That might be simpler to implement for sure!

Still, I do like the idea of creating aggregated devices down the line but for now, that suggestion would solve my issues here!
Old 03-22-2023, 02:18 PM   #43
Thonex

Quote:
... having a checkbox next to a midi device in the midi device prefs list to select/deselect from ALL. That way, you could tailor ALL to only the devices you wanted.
A Big +1.

Yes please.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #44
musicbynumbers

My only caveat with doing that would be it would be great to also choose what channel(s) should be used for each device added to "all".

It's not the end of the world to not have it but would be a nice plus!
Old 03-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #45
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
My only caveat with doing that would be it would be great to also choose what channel(s) should be used for each device added to "all".

It's not the end of the world to not have it but would be a nice plus!
That's more in track template territory imho. A midi device is a midi device and filtering out channels in the device list isn't really the way to do it. You can also pretty easily solve it by just putting a JSFX on the track. Whereas with the current ALL or ONE system, no amount of JSFX will help filter devices.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:46 PM   #46
Phazma

I think what Klangfarben proposes is a not bad, it would solve the issue, but it can cause a bit of confusion if the user selects "All Midi" and then plays a device and it doesn't respond because it has been excluded in preferences. Probably not a big deal in practice but I'd consider the aggregate device solution a bit more elegant and it would not be an "ALL-EXCEPT" or "ONE" solution but there could be all kinds of different combinations for different setups, named in meaningful ways. So one track could get input from "Keystation+NanoKontrol", another track from "Alesis and friends" etc.

But if the implementation of aggregate devices is too complicated, what Klangfarben proposes would solve the main issue too.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:50 PM   #47
ferropop

Quick aside, is it not possible to copy/paste to specific lanes yet?

ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:36 PM   #48
musicbynumbers

Quote:
That's more in track template territory imho. A midi device is a midi device and filtering out channels in the device list isn't really the way to do it. You can also pretty easily solve it by just putting a JSFX on the track. Whereas with the current ALL or ONE system, no amount of JSFX will help filter devices.
I'm talking more about choosing which midi channel is being used for each midi input though rather than overall.

Once they have all come in, I don't think there's a way to separate them out afterwards with a JSFX.

It's more so you can ignore channels that have data on them you don't want to record like channel 16 or 1 in certain MPE devices for example

but.. It was only for one corner case I had. I would still be happy with just being able to choose multiple devices coming in at once!
Old 03-22-2023, 11:52 PM   #49
mschnell

Quote:
That doesn't at all help solve the issue.
Maybe. But it's perfectly up to the Reaper paradigm of 256 internal Midi channels being composed of 16 standard Midi channels and 16 Midi "buses".
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote