Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
JN99
Human being with feelings

Default EQ plugins that allow listening to only affected frequencies?

So that's a bit of a terrible thread title but can't think of a better way to phrase it.

In a video on mixing guitar the EQ plugin used (Ozone) allowed listening to only the affected frequencies. Incredibly useful IMO, especially as used in the vid, for a high pass filter. Allows listening only to the frequencies cut, really zeroing in on the offending low noise and dialing in the right amount of cut to eliminate it without impacting overall tone of the guitar. Brilliant!

This doesn't seem to be a commonly enumerated feature so hard to find but It's in Ozone and also Fab Filter Pro Q, both too pricey for me.

Does anyone know of other, less expensive EQ plugins with this feature?
JN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
westie07

Not at my DAW computer at the moment, but ISOL8 by TBPro Audio comes to mind. And its free. There are probably heaps of others, but this may get you started.

https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/isol8

rob
westie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
matt_t

The Band Solo button in TDR Nova https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/ and solo/listen mode in ReEQ https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213501 both do this, to name but two. I'm sure the good folks here on the forum will have other suggestions as well.

Edit: these are both free and excellent, and you should get them anyway if you haven't already.
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
JN99

Yeah, thanks much! As I was continuing to search I found it referred to as Solo mode on the Fab Filter site and then went looking for that in their EQ plugins and it appears many have it. Just have to know what to look for!
JN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

If you right-click the Wet knob on any plugin, you can engage delta solo mode, which gives you the difference between the input and output signals. In the case of a high-lowpass that should be just what is getting removed.

That said, I’m not convinced it’s as helpful as you seem to think. It’s very much like EQing in solo but even worse. What matters is how it sounds in the mix, and if you’re not listening to it in the mix, then you’re just guessing and hoping.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:36 PM   #6
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hi,
Yes, many eq feature a solo mode : Acon Equalize, Toneboosters Eq4 come to mind, but it's quite standard i "modern" eqs nowadays.
Even the "vintage" Overloud eqs features it
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:29 AM   #7
beingmf

ReEQ, if you shift-click a band
Old 01-26-2023, 08:01 AM   #8
nait

Probably not quite the same as what you're looking for unless you're just sweeping frequencies, but with Voxengo Span, you can ctrl-left click (hold, actually) anywhere, and it will solo. While holding, you'll probably notice that moving your mouse around moves the band around, but scrolling your mouse wheel will also change the Q.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:44 AM   #9
DarkStar

Also in MeldaProduction's MEqualizer:

Quote:
Auto-listen button enables the auto-listen feature, which temporarily changes the equalizer shape when dragging a band to let you see and hear what that particular band is actually doing. For example, when dragging a peak filter, the equalizer disables the other bands and changes this one to a band pass filter, so that you can focus on the frequencies that the peak filter is modifying.

Also, when this is enabled, you can click anywhere in the band's area (shaded) and the equalizer will let you listen to the frequencies at that position using a band-pass filter. This is great for searching for problematic frequencies for example. Vertical position controls the band-width. You can also hold shift to get this feature if auto-listen is not enabled.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
bFooz

Or FabFilter ProQ3. I also use Voxengo SPAN - an analyzer - where you can click with a modifier and the frequency band under the mouse is soloed. Voxengo has also some EQ plugins that have integrated analyzer.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #11
batcat

The stock ReaXcomp multiband compressor can "solo current band".
Just set it up with no compression, set as many bands as needed and crossover freq.
Now solo the desired band.
"All humans are Homo Sapiens & the majority of us support human rights & equality. It's about common human decency & normal emotional intelligence that most have. It's normal good business ethics when companies support it. Go Reaper!"
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:22 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
The stock ReaXcomp multiband compressor can "solo current band".
Just set it up with no compression, set as many bands as needed and crossover freq.
Now solo the desired band.
Unfortunately it can solo only one band at a time.
Sometimes I want more control! So I usually grab Waves multiband linear phase comp.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #13
F1308

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Unfortunately it can solo only one band at a time.
Sometimes I want more control! So I usually grab Waves multiband linear phase comp.
Are there any issues preventing using as many instances as needed so as to have a chain dealing with as many bands as desired ?

I do that with JS delay when the maximum delay is reached and need more, finding at times as many as three JS Delay instances chained so as to place the sound where needed.
F1308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #14
Bombs'n'Away

I use ReaEQ + MPL Scripts for this. Just attach the action to a button and ReaEQ's last touched band is gonna be solo'ed.
https://reaper.blog/2018/10/mpl_reaeq_reascript/
Bombs'n'Away is offline   Reply With Quote