Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:13 AM   #81
deeb
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Man, it all started when you requested, complained about layering and comping, for something that's already possible, that's what I and others have pointed out...
Also my latest reply was about what's NOW in the works and testing and that's COMPING and not what you request, for NOW. You can request whatever you want I'm done here.
You don’t get the point. I think We should have 2 modes ready to be used and switched from one to another. One oriented for layering and another for comping. I would minimize the options and interface to a particular task. So we would fixed lanes comping and fixed lanes layering. Easily switchable and ready /optimized/minimized for the task.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:20 AM   #82
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, you could already do that by putting them in series and setting the MIDI output of any instrument that eats the incoming notes to the "merge" mode. Anyway, it's even more comfortable now with this option.
The question isn't actually +dev related, sorry - but where is the present (not +dev) option for setting the MIDI output of an instrument to eat/merge?
Old 03-20-2023, 07:21 AM   #83
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
You don’t get the point. I think We should have 2 modes ready to be used and switched from one to another. One oriented for layering and another for comping. I would minimize the options and interface to a particular task. So we would fixed lanes comping and fixed lanes layering. Easily switchable and ready /optimized/minimized for the task.
Is it me I don't get the point? Here I switch with a single click from comping to layering.
What more are you asking then?

Old 03-20-2023, 07:27 AM   #84
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The strange things with lanes is that most people probably ask why not just use multiple tracks and folders etc but I find myself gravitating to lanes for quite a lot of things I would have used folders for before and like working in them.
Because they donÂ’t need or seen itÂ’s uses.. ItÂ’s amazingly useful this kind of stuff And unique in reaper afaik. It all starts on ability to have fx per item - such a beautiful thing.. . Would be amazing in 2033 if we had action: export selected tracks to single track lanes. And the opposite. Export lanes as tracks. Anyway.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #85
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Because they donÂ’t need or seen itÂ’s uses.. ItÂ’s amazingly useful this kind of stuff And unique in reaper afaik. It all starts on ability to have fx per item - such a beautiful thing.. . Would be amazing in 2033 if we had action: export selected tracks to single track lanes. And the opposite. Export lanes as tracks. Anyway.
Search on explode/implode and rejoice or something.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #86
deeb

Quote:
Is it me I don't get the point? Here I switch with a single click from comping to layering.
What more are you asking then?

Maybe you can show your experience recording midi (layering and monitoring previous lanes) and switch back and forth between layering and comping. And all the things that already been written.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #87
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The strange things with lanes is that most people probably ask why not just use multiple tracks and folders etc but I find myself gravitating to lanes for quite a lot of things I would have used folders for before and like working in them.
Quoted for truth.

In my case however, often I start with lanes because I think “I just need to add that one sound, why bother with an extra track” and then in the creative flow the requirements get more complex and I need to migrate the layers to separate tracks anyway as the lanes are too limited and I regret having started with lanes in the first place.

So I started to conciously avoid lanes even tough on first sight they seem so convenient to layer sounds.

In my ideal vision lanes would be full subtracks. Tracks within a track. With the precise purpose to avoid extra tracks, folders etc when working on what conceptually is one sound.

This allows a hierarchy were for example a guitar is 1 instrument and thus takes 1 track in the areange (even if you have 4 recordings panned differently) and not 5 tracks (as with the folder/child method). A synth consisting of 3 layers is also just 1 track. Whenn you zoom out and all tracks are equal size you have a very simple looking project with 1 track per instrument. When you zoom in on a specific track/instrument you see all the layers/lanes and can work on them directly. No need to open/close folders all the time, no need to open the FX chain fo hunt for your instruments etc.. it is all directly accessible on the arrange/tcp view and gives much easier/tidier projects where each instrument is as big as another no matter how many components it has.

That is of course wishful thinking by me but anything that goes slightly in this direction would be very welcome.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #88
FeedTheCat

How about track containers?

(don't mean to mock anyone's request, just couldn't get the picture out of my head after I thought of it )

On a serious note though, we have to draw a line between a lane and track somewhere. If we add FX chains, people will want volume/pan etc. At a certain point it becomes nonsensical imo...
Old 03-20-2023, 07:57 AM   #89
Vagelis

Quote:
Maybe you can show your experience recording midi (layering and monitoring previous lanes) and switch back and forth between layering and comping. And all the things that already been written.
I already tried you should too
Old 03-20-2023, 08:01 AM   #90
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
]On a serious note though, we have to draw a line between a lane and track somewhere. If we add FX chains, people will want volume/pan etc. At a certain point it becomes nonsensical imo...
That’s admittedly true. I think a lane FX chain would be the only really important thing. Everything else could be added as FX inside the chain (gain/pan plugins etc). Personally I would find it tasty to have a volume and pan knob there (and nothing else) but I can see how that would lead to people wanting all kinds of stuff and arguing what’s more important. But with the FX chain allone pretty much everything can be done via FX and if more flexibility is needed.. well yeah tracks are the way to go.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:05 AM   #91
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
How about track containers?

(don't mean to mock anyone's request, just couldn't get the picture out of my head after I thought of it )

On a serious note though, we have to draw a line between a lane and track somewhere. If we add FX chains, people will want volume/pan etc. At a certain point it becomes nonsensical imo...
We have that. It’s called track folders anyway careful cause cockos might consider making the mirror/spiral effect on track folders somehow.

Last edited by deeb; 03-20-2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:09 AM   #92
deeb

Quote:
I already tried you should too
No thanks. I am straight.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #93
Klangfarben

Quote:
If you have a complaint about something, then post a GIF of what isn't working for you and make a request, like the rest of us who don't act like 8-year-olds do.

Otherwise, take your childish offensive bullshit and GTFO while the rest of us discuss the current pre.

MODS feel free to do your thing...
Old 03-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #94
sockmonkey72

Quote:
WTF is this? Is that supposed to be funny?

Showing up with a bunch of demands and complaints after not bothering to do your homework is one thing, kind of par for your course. Ignorant baby talk is another, and doesn't belong here.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #95
deeb

Good morning! But If you read carefully maybe you can understand where the disrespect is coming from. Now please be focus on the topic..
Old 03-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #96
Vagelis

Quote:
WOW!! Didn't expect to hear this from my answer as I was trying to help you understand that some things are already possible, should I take it for granted or cry out loud?

This behavior should be f... banned!
Old 03-20-2023, 08:39 AM   #97
_Stevie_

Absolutely, no space for homophobic attitude here in this forum.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:41 AM   #98
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Ignorant baby talk is another, and doesn't belong here.
Ignorant *homophobic* baby talk, just to be clear...
Old 03-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #99
vitalker

I see a childish behavior, but not homophobia. I rather see here heterophobia.
Homophobia is when someone is bullying/harrassing you for being homo or when you go to prison/passed down a (death) sentence or when in Muslim/African/American countries you got stonewalled. That's homophobia.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #100
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
For the love, can we just get another pre? I've reached my limit on offensive AND stupid for the day...
Old 03-20-2023, 09:21 AM   #101
GeneralMidi

Meanwhile in REAPERVILLE, tensions have been running high the last few weeks.

I suppose the devs could see it as a positive thing that there is so much interest in these features at the moment...but it's a shame we can't all be respectful.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #102
vitalker

Quote:
Why are you behaving like UknownSource (unless you are UknownSource)? That's really bad argument in any discussion. If you say you need 2 modes, you need somehow to defend your opinion. Otherwise Schwa and others won't be able to understand why it may be useful.

Last edited by vitalker; 03-20-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #103
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
For the love, can we just get another pre? I've reached my limit on offensive AND stupid for the day...
I hope our "discussion" about midi item names was less stupid and offensive.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #104
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
Meanwhile in REAPERVILLE, tensions have been running high the last few weeks.

I suppose the devs could see it as a positive thing that there is so much interest in these features at the moment...but it's a shame we can't all be respectful.
If you feel that something is offensive for you or disrespectful, every post has report button and after clicking it you can describe what's wrong with the post. It worked for me many times, so use it.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #105
Rodulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Homophobia is when someone is bullying/harrassing you for being homo or when you go to prison/passed down a (death) sentence or when in Muslim/African/American countries you got stonewalled. That's homophobia.
👍
Old 03-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #106
Infrabass

Quote:
This should not be accepted here!
Nothing more to say.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #107
Infrabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodulf View Post
👍
😑
Old 03-20-2023, 09:44 AM   #108
schwa
Administrator

We will post a new development build shortly. Closing this thread.
Closed Thread