Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #81
mr. moon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I must try that...I seem to remember you can't change the kick volume without affecting all the volumes, if the kick track is the midi track?? Something like that...I was going to try that anyway, so thanks for the template, I'll try that first.
No Problemo. Please let me know how it works for you!

-mr moon

www.soundclick.com/mrmoon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:10 AM   #82
Serendipity

I would not place the midi on the kick track or any of the other "output" tracks since it might cause some confusion (especially if you later render the outputs to audio). Either put the midi on a separate track outside the folder, like in my tutorial, or as a separate track inside the folder as mentioned by mr. moon.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #83
bob32069

Serendipity-

I just followed the steps of your tutorial to achieve a similar setup in Jamstix. It works perfectly! I have been trying unsuccessfully for the last 2 weeks to do this but with your tutorial it took only 15 minutes. And of course, in analyzing the setup, it makes complete sense now the way everything is routed.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you!
bob32069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #84
Serendipity

You're welcome!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #85
huwe

every time i try to switch ezdrummer kits in reaper (or flstudio for that matter, but that's not what this forum is about), it crashes the program. i can use the alternate kits' grooves but not their sounds. do i have the audio files in the wrong folders or something? any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by huwe; 10-07-2007 at 02:28 AM.
huwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #86
jalan

Okay, potentially silly question, but was this tutorial created with version 1.888? That's the version I'm running and, when looking at these screen shots, I seem to be missing some of the options.

For example, I don't have the check boxes next to the individual track numbers, the list of check boxes under "Receives", "Audio Hardware Options", etc. The list goes on, but you get the point.

Anyway, I was just wondering why the difference? Should I be using the new beta version? This tutorial has still been helpful, but I'd like to be on the same page (or in this case, version) as everyone else... Thanks in advance.

J
jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #87
KillrBuckeye

Thanks for the awesome tutorial and track templates.

For anyone who is planning to use mr. moon's track templates, please note the following: The "EZDrum Grp" track has a send to the Outputs enabled, which effectively sends the EZdrummer output twice to the Outputs for my setup (because that track is already being routed to "master/parent"). As a result, the drums end up sounding MUCH louder while playing my project in Reaper than when I render the mix. I checked several other sets of EZdrummer track templates available on the forum, and none have the send to the outputs on the Drum Group channel. Maybe mr. moon has this enabled for something specific to his setup, but I think in most cases this will create problems.
KillrBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #88
mjmartin64

Default Thanks

My EZDrummer software just arrived today -- and this thread is like gold dust! Thanks to everyone!
mjmartin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #89
teejb43

I just set up Serendipidy's template. Works perfectly. I had been using BillyBuck's until now, which also works well, however this one isolates the midi and is a better routing solution, it seems. Also, I had to create my own map for EZD from ToonTrack's pdf (really a pain in the butt). If anyone has a better solution than that, I'd sure like to know!
teejb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #90
jalan

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/2237/EZD_Rock.txt

Found in the "Resources" link in the header of the forum.
jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #91
KillrBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejb43 View Post
I just set up Serendipidy's template. Works perfectly. I had been using BillyBuck's until now, which also works well, however this one isolates the midi and is a better routing solution, it seems. Also, I had to create my own map for EZD from ToonTrack's pdf (really a pain in the butt). If anyone has a better solution than that, I'd sure like to know!
You must have been using billybk1's old track templates. I'm pretty sure I tried his new ones (found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=12) and the MIDI was on its own track. But I've tested a lot of track templates over the past few days, so I could be mistaken!
KillrBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #92
teejb43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrBuckeye View Post
You must have been using billybk1's old track templates. I'm pretty sure I tried his new ones (found here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=12) and the MIDI was on its own track. But I've tested a lot of track templates over the past few days, so I could be mistaken!
Oh, I have some of these too. I believe I may have used the rock template and set it up for the dfh kit, but I haven't used it in a project yet. Now that I look again, this seems like a good solution too.
teejb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #93
bharris

I just found this tutorial and it really seems to be perfect - I'm going to try it as soon as work allows.

One question I have is about the use of EZ Player Pro in connection with this setup. I want to play a standard midi file through EZ Drummer, but would like to use the mapping capabilities of EZ Player Pro to convert the file from GM to EZ Drummer format. Would I just insert EZ Player Pro in the FX chain on the "ezdrummer midi" track? Would I need to do any additional routing?

Thanks!
bharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #94
gofer
-blänk-

Can't help with the mapping itself, but as fas as routing is concerned, you're right. Just have EZ Player on the same track in front of EZ Drummer.
No additional routing in the ordinary sense, but you have to click the button labeled 'MIDI' on top of the EZ Player's FX window and check MIDI output -> 'Merges with MIDI input', so you can hear both, EZ Player generated MIDI as well as MIDI that's on the Reaper track played by EZ Drummer.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #95
bharris

Thanks, Gofer - just to confirm, I would place EZ Player in front of EZ Drummer on the "ezdrummer midi" track - in other words, just on the track that actually contains the midi file to be played?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #96
gofer
-blänk-

Should work. I have it on the same track as EZ Drummer itself. FX-Chain: EZ Player -> EZ Drummer
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #97
bharris

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #98
havey

Default help!

Ive had EzDrummer for a while now and havnt found a cheap enough host...I have it in FL Studio Express but I cant make tracks there. I want to try EZDrummer in the Reaper demo and followed all the steps in the previous posts, but it will not show up under any Plugin under Virtual Instrument in a new track..What am I doing wrong?
havey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #99
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by havey View Post
Ive had EzDrummer for a while now and havnt found a cheap enough host...I have it in FL Studio Express but I cant make tracks there. I want to try EZDrummer in the Reaper demo and followed all the steps in the previous posts, but it will not show up under any Plugin under Virtual Instrument in a new track..What am I doing wrong?
Have you put the file called 'ezdrummer.dll' in the folder where you keep your VSTs. Then created a path to that folder, as described in the section of the Reaper Use Guide called 'Enabling Plug-ins'.

Also, in the VSTi list, it's called 'Dfh Sampler(Toontrack)'.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #100
scrybed

Default EZDrummer + FruityLoops + Reaper

This is to help those of us who want to write our drums in FruityLoops using only one "instance" of EZDrummer loaded in Fruityloops, and therefore only using one PianoRoll making it much easier to see what we're doing when creating drum tracks with EZ Drummer. Been beating my head this morning trying to figure this out, and I finally got it. If you just want the answer, scroll down. I like to retell my tales....so I'm a masochist...Here is what I tried (and failed):

1. Loading FL inside Reaper and trying to route it so that the drums are multi-tracked. I could never get the routing to work. I could insert EZ Drummer and multitrack its built-in loops but I could not get this to work with Fruityloops, since it'd have to route from the mixer in EZ drummer (from inside FL) to the separated tracks in Reaper...yeah, does your head hurt yet? Mine does.

2. Create a loop in FL, export as midi, use said midi file to control EZDrummer VST in Reaper. My midi files never went over 60 bytes, which is useless. Never figured this out.

3. Create a loop in FL, export each track as a wav file. File sizes were around 14K, but basically empty. Never figured this out either, moving on.

4. Drank coffee, and epiphany. Here is the answer:

--------------------------------------------------

1. Create your drum loop in FL using EZ Drummer. Make all the notes and parts you want, choruses, bridge, verses, stops, fills, intros and outros. Have a blast.

2. When you're ready to multitrack, open the EZ Drummer User Interface, and click mixer.

3. Click the S icon on the kick channel. This mutes everything BUT the kick channel. Export to a wav, call it D:\Studio\[YOUR_SONG_NAME]\drums[YOUR_SONG_NAME]-KICK.wav. When done, remove the S from kick, put it on the Snare, and repeat. Do this for all channels, including the overheads and compressed channels. You can skip Room, not sure what this is for and it sounds like ass. [Edit] sounds like a mic just thrown in the room, but you still don't want it.

4. In Reaper, set the right BPM and make 11 new tracks (or less, I'm using the Drumkit From Hell), give then appropriate names and import the corresponding media files (the wavs we just created) per track.

5. Group them together if you want to apply the same effects to them, like reverb, etc.

6. You can now apply effects to individual drums/cymbols inside of Reaper. Enjoy!

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help!
scrybed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #101
jrhoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
]
thanks for the tut but for me its not working ...WAYYYYYYYYYY too much bleed thru

im unable to sucessfully isolate each drum part without major bleed thru

i followed ur directions to the tee and still bleeds thru

any suggestions?

Last edited by jrhoden; 05-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.
jrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #102
jrhoden

i got it figured out now..

i had to solo each track inside the drum folder to manipulate with eq,etc

thanks for the tutorial
jrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #103
booyah14

Ok I followed the instructions but can't get it to work? I checked all of the options and believe I set it up correctly. However, when I pull up a groove track and try to play it I get no sound. The midi mixer track shows a red line on the right side of the mixer when a drum sound happens but I don't get the meter moving or any sound. So it definitely looks like it is registering the sound but not playing it back.

I have an old mac and I have not jumped to the newest software update. Can someone please help me out?
booyah14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #104
planetnine

Default dumb questions from someone who'd like to buy EZD...

Just trying to get my head round EZD and work out whether it's worth buying, or if I should go straight for Superior Drummer.

~Reading the manual, can I authorise this on a non internet-connected computer? Just copy the numbers across to an internet laptop and then the response back again?

~How many drums is EZD limited to? Can I put a six piece kit in? Is it possible with add-ons, or as it comes?

~how can the drums be mapped to the outputs? The manual says eight stereo outs, but I would want most drums to be mono -can I output to sixteen mono outs or any combinations? I'd like to mix in REAPER, and possibly even print the outputs to TCP, but eight ouputs isn't enough for a six-piece kit plus overhead(s) and room mic(s).

~Does EZD's "humanise" function work on grids I've written, or just the supplied "groove" tracks? I'd like to use it for tracks from scratch and also some replacement jobs. The manual is a little vague on details.

Is there any comparison table about to compare EZD, Superior and any other program like these? If EZD/Superior actually do what I think they're claiming to do, this will make big parts of my job very much easier.

Grateful thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here

>