Old 07-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Minihead
Human being with feelings

Default mixing in reaper

Hello guys
i'm a compleate beginner with audio recording,and i choosed reaper only because is the one that i found more intuitive...
so what i wanted to do is to record my guitar on a mp3 backing track...and that's what i've done,but when i exported the wav file,i couldn't hear the guitar well because the backing track was louder...so i opened again reaper and i managed to set the volumes as i want with the mixer of each track but when i exported it again,i had the same problem,seem's that the volume's that i set up in the program work only when i click play on the software,and when i export the volume goe's back to default positon...can anyone help me please?it's really important...
thanks
Minihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
beingmf

what do you mean by "export"? do you actually RENDER the mixdown?
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Minihead

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
what do you mean by "export"? do you actually RENDER the mixdown?
yeah...render,i'm sorry
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
sceyefeye

Hey Minihead

what are you using to listen to the track inside reaper and then outside reaper? if you are mixing using headphones, you are more than likely going to have a heap of woes when you get to the render stage. this is because ear phones do not give a 'flat representation' of the audio being played (ok some do but they are the exception).

there are more than a few threads here outlining the problems with biased play back on different systems and what stands out on your hi-fi might disappear into the back-ground on the car stereo.

perhaps post a clip of the project with the recorded audio and then one of the gurus around here can take a look and see just where you might be going wrong. because in all honesty what reaper is playing should be what is rendered.

as a quick fix you might just want to record the output of the master track and then open that file (usually in the project directory) and listen to that in say winamp to see if the problem is there or in the rendering/mixdown - though they should really be the same unless you have some effect on the master track.
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Kainz

Hmh..

If you're doing File -> Render and in that dialog you have:

1) You have same samplerate as your project is (most likely it is)

2) Your channels are set to stereo

3) The "Render Master Mix" is ticked

4) No "Render Stems" or similar boxes are ticked

In this case you should be getting exactly what you're hearing when you mix it.

What format are you exporting it as? Mp3? Wav?

Are you completely sure your levels have messed up? Maby you are just listening the file at different volume than you mixed it at or with different speakers? In car?
Kainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post

Are you completely sure your levels have messed up? Maby you are just listening the file at different volume than you mixed it at or with different speakers? In car?
how come you manage to say it so concisely?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
Blechi

Did you by any chance route your guitar track directly to the same hardware output that is used by your master channel?
If yes: don't do that because although you hear it while monitoring this part of the guitar signal bypasses the rendering process -> guitar signal is too low in render.
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechi View Post
Did you by any chance route your guitar track directly to the same hardware output that is used by your master channel?
If yes: don't do that because although you hear it while monitoring this part of the guitar signal bypasses the rendering process -> guitar signal is too low in render.
hijack: does your blackboad theme still work in repaer 3? I had it on 2.x and loved it
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
hijack: does your blackboad theme still work in repaer 3? I had it on 2.x and loved it
just try it, the old themes don't break as such, they just don't make use of all the new Version 3 enhancements
Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Blechi

[hijack]I'm considering updating it to v3, but this can take a while[/hijack]
Blechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
stupeT

Quote:
[hijack]I'm considering updating it to v3, but this can take a while[/hijack]
Hauptschultafelthema. <- that was meant to be a motiviation
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Minihead

Quote:
can i send you the .RPP file and the wav that i exported so that you can hear yourself what i got?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Lawrence

Just post the *.rpp without the wav files so people can check your routing. When you solo the guitar track do the master meters still jump?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
Minihead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Just post the *.rpp without the wav files so people can check your routing. When you solo the guitar track do the master meters still jump?
here it is...and yes when i solo the guitar the master meters still moves...anyway in the RPP file i managed to set up the volumes as i wanted to but like i sad when i render the all thing seems that everything goes back to default...
Attached Files
File Type: rpp afg prova.RPP (4.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Lawrence

Drag the guitar track down out of the folder structure and try to mix and render it again. Just to see what happens.

As it stands now the Guitar track is feeding it's signal into the mp3 music track... kinda.

Also (not sure why) but the input monitors for both tracks were on in the project. ??

Also, check the "import into project" item when rendering so you can solo it and hear the result in the project.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-19-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
Minihead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
Hmh..

If you're doing File -> Render and in that dialog you have:

1) You have same samplerate as your project is (most likely it is)

2) Your channels are set to stereo

3) The "Render Master Mix" is ticked

4) No "Render Stems" or similar boxes are ticked

In this case you should be getting exactly what you're hearing when you mix it.

as you can see i posted the RPP file in one of the comments...could you take a look yourself and tell me what to do?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #17
Minihead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceyefeye View Post
Hey Minihead

what are you using to listen to the track inside reaper and then outside reaper? if you are mixing using headphones, you are more than likely going to have a heap of woes when you get to the render stage. this is because ear phones do not give a 'flat representation' of the audio being played (ok some do but they are the exception).

there are more than a few threads here outlining the problems with biased play back on different systems and what stands out on your hi-fi might disappear into the back-ground on the car stereo.

perhaps post a clip of the project with the recorded audio and then one of the gurus around here can take a look and see just where you might be going wrong. because in all honesty what reaper is playing should be what is rendered.

as a quick fix you might just want to record the output of the master track and then open that file (usually in the project directory) and listen to that in say winamp to see if the problem is there or in the rendering/mixdown - though they should really be the same unless you have some effect on the master track.
as you can see i posted the RPP file in one of the comments...could you take a look yourself and tell me what to do?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
Minihead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Drag the guitar track down out of the folder structure and try to mix and render it again. Just to see what happens.

As it stands now the Guitar track is feeding it's signal into the mp3 music track... kinda.

Also (not sure why) but the input monitors for both tracks were on in the project. ??

Also, check the "import into project" item when rendering so you can solo it and hear the result in the project.
thanks a lot i solved it
i think i dragged the guitar track out of the folder structure....i don't really know what that means but hey...who cares
thanks again