Old 11-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
onno
Human being with feelings

Location: currently Mozambique but that's subject to change. Co owner of a property in England
Default Hear midi keyboard on monitors

Hi All
Just downloaded Reaper and it looks pretty great. I've been using Pro Tools which is good BUT the attitude of the people is dreadful, the price is very high and lets face it the plug ins are only average.

My question on Reaper is how do I route or get the the recorded midi keyboard signal to come out of my Scarlett Solo interface speakers?

The route dropdown menu on the RHS gives option of: no output; Microsoft wavetable synth (what's that?) or Digital keyboard. I don't want any of those

On LHS under Audio Hardware Outputs I have added Hardware Output 1 / output 2. I've tried various options there too with no joy.

I also notice that the meter does not show a signal is playing. But I have played the signal through the keyboard so I know it is there.

Is there anything in the set up I should do?
onno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums !
You need to activate the "Monitor" button in the track header.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
onno

Location: currently Mozambique but that's subject to change. Co owner of a property in England
Default Thanks Michael

Thank you for replying. Yes that's all clicked. I recorded some keyboard again and I see I do have signal on the mixer track but not the master track
Old 11-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
domzy

It's unclear what you are trying to do, i think.
Is your MIDI keyboard capable of generating audio or are you using a softsynth to make the noises?
If it's the first, are you recording / monitoring the audio or the MIDI?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 AM   #5
Not_Here

Kenny always has the answer...

click on the link when ready to view vid....

this may not be exactly the type of samples you may wish to trigger, however in the beginning is step by step vid of creating a channel ready to play through and record any sample you may wish to trigger with your midi keyboard..

where Kenny is selecting the samplematic5000, you could choose Reasynth, or any VSTi you wish... dig?
His midi Vids are second to none and make all of this very clear and easy to implement immediately...
Old 11-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
onno

Default Reply to Domzy

Much appreciate your response!

Yes My keyboard is a Yamaha, has speakers and is capable of generating/ emitting audio.
I have taken a lead from the output on the keyboard that says 'to host' and connected the other end (using a USB connectio) to my laptop which has Reaper loaded on it.

I am recording midi

I have recorded midi; I can see the midi pattern on the track in Reaper. So, keyboard no problem; connection; no problem; recording; no problem

However, hearing or playing back Problem!

Going to Option Pref Device screen on the lower part headed 'MIDI outputs to make ...'
I enabled digital keyboard (Reaper's name for my keybd) and checked the 'Enable output to this device'
I then went to Route icon on the track and on the right under ' Midi Hardware Output' I selected digital keboard and I can hear my recording coming out of the keyboard. So that works

So my question remains: how do I hear the recorded midi track coming out of my monitor speakers connected to my Scarlett Solo interface connected to Reaper?

Please note, the audio, guitar and vocal (on separate tracks) comes through fine on speakers so that's all connected and works
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
onno

Default Reply to Not Here

Thank You!
That set of video's will be scrutinized and devoured! The answer was apparent within minutes

I had to select a virtual instrument!! I stupidly thought it would select the one from my keyboard. But no, of course Reaper has to provide the virtual instrument otherwise is would have been audio.

Thank you Kenny

Thank you Not Here
Old 11-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onno View Post

So my question remains: how do I hear the recorded midi track coming out of my monitor speakers connected to my Scarlett Solo interface connected to Reaper?
you don't, MIDI isn't audio so you can't hear it.
What you need to do is plug a lead from the audio output of your keyboard into the input of your interface and record (or just monitor) it as audio and then you will be able to route it through your interface
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:17 AM   #9
Andywanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by onno View Post
My keyboard is a Yamaha, has speakers and is capable of generating/ emitting audio.
Is it a PRS model?

If so, you will need to install the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...sb_driver.html

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote