Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Laguna
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and many Hardware IOs (RME HDSPe)

Hi there,

I am having a bit of trouble with Reaper and my IO setup. For many Years I have used Reaper with the RME HDSPe Raydat card. Not I extended my setup with a RME HDSPe Madi card. Now I have the Problem that more often than not, Reaper is not able to send Audio to the Hardware outputs. The signal does not show up in the RME TotalMix, so it has to be a problem with reaper, I guess.
I can send Audio by from other programs (e.g. from foobar2000) to any of the outputs on both cards (even at the same time). I also know that the connected AD/DA are setup correctly.

Is there anything known about reaper getting problems with a huge amount of hardware outputs? (In fact, both cards provide me with around 100 In- and outputs.

Do I need to set certain settings in reaper for both cards to work? I would guess that this is abstracted by the RME driver.

Just to clarify: All hardware outputs are listed as expected, it is just, that they do not transport any Audio.

Best,
Laguna

Last edited by Laguna; 10-25-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
domzy

i use two RME cards (multiface & digiface) simultaneously & Reaper has never had a problem with it, but i occasionally get my totalmix windows confused and spend a while looking in the wrong totalmix mixer window for the signal before realising that it's in the other one.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
serr

Sometimes with multiple audio interfaces in aggregate device config, one or the other device doesn't get a request - like a sample rate request. One of the devices thus doesn't have a valid clock connection and stays silent. Or maybe you changed the sample rate but had a single interface selected in Reaper instead of the aggregate device and didn't catch it? (Thinking of the mistakes I make when I do this stuff to myself.)

Go to Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page, select the aggregate device for the interfaces again (even though it still appears selected) and then click apply (which will un-gray when you make that selection again). That forces a sample rate request to the devices in the aggregate. A "reset" of the system as it were.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:32 AM   #4
Laguna

Hi there,

Thank you for your replies.

I fiddled around a bit with the wordclock cabling. Now all cards and converters are synced through a Apogee BigBen. After that the problem changed a bit. While I can send out signals through the RayDat card, Signals to the MADI card do not reach the TotalMix. I double checked that I am on the correct window.

If I use another program, e.g. foobar, I can freely send audio to one output (foobar does not support sending audio to two sources).

Still puzzled, what might be the problem.
Laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
zacki

Hi. I also guess it's a sync problem. I'm using a RayDAT and a Multiface-I together in one PC. When they are not synced with an ADAT or SPDIF connection (one is master, one slave), the buffers seem to go out of sync, as vinark describes in my post at the RME Forum. The RayDAT has a Sync-OUT pinhead on the PCB. Maybe your MADI card has a Sync-IN? My HDSP PCI sadly hasn't this option as Matthias Carstens from RME states
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
serr

There are two things to work: The sample rate clock connections between all digital audio devices being used together. The audio interface selection in the host DAW or other audio app.

Word clock is the first and best choice. Pick a device as master. Set the rest of the devices to clock to the word clock input.

A digital audio connection is next best. Again, pick a device as master. Set the rest of the devices to clock to the digital audio input (coming from the master device).

That's the sample rate clock connection.

DAW apps normally want to connect to a single audio interface.
The SOP to connect multiple interfaces is to make an aggregate device with your OS audio utility app. Create the virtual aggregate device with Audio MIDI Setup in OSX or the ASIO app in Windows. Add the connected audio interfaces to it. Select the aggregate device in the DAW instead of one of the individual interfaces.

There are sometimes alternative options. (Unlike alternative facts, these are real.) Reaper has a legacy feature (which it doesn't recommend) to select a separate interface for an output device. (Separate from the main interface selection.) Some audio interfaces have their own proprietary system to connect between them that bypasses the OS and aggregate device method.

Reaper is unique in that you can control your connected audio interface or aggregate device sample rate and block size from the Reaper control panel (Preferences/Audio/Device page) as is SOP for DAW apps or release control (untick the boxes next to those controls) to use 3rd party or OS control panel apps.

Last edited by serr; 10-27-2019 at 09:46 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote