Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default REAPER Performance on Linux vs Windows

I've been quietly following the development of REAPER for Linux now for a while and even experimented a little with a Linux install a while back. That was before the native Linux version was available though.

My primary question is about the performance differences of the current REAPER versions on Linux vs Windows. Has anyone done a direct comparison of CPU usage and latency on the same PC under both systems? REAPER runs extremely well on my Win10 rig (i7 7700K, 32GB RAM, Asus Z270 Prime, 3x Samsung 850 500GB SSD) and is rock solid. Same with the drivers for my hardware (RME Fireface UFX & MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV).

There are numerous things holding me back from running Linux at present, the main ones being compatibility with Windows plugins (I have thousands of dollars worth of third party Windows plugins and applications that I use pretty much constantly) and the whole learning curve thing of configuring and tweaking an OS I am not intimately familiar with. The latter is obviously just a matter of digging in and learning.