Old 03-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
bobruzzo
Human being with feelings

Default VST instrument suggestions?

Hello,

Does anybody know of a DECENT software package of GOOD instrument VST's? Ones that will work with Reaper. The only instrument VST's I have are leftovers from another program I no longer use. There are a few nice FREE ones but I would rather pay for good compatible VST's that hunt and peck for free ones.
I am guessing this may be costly. I am looking for a FULL instrument pack.....pianos, electric pianos, brass, woodwinds, percussion.
The ones I have been using are hit or miss and I'd rather have more pro quality ones. Thanks....
bobruzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
mschnell

NI "Komplete"

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
thequietroom

Komplete sounds like what you are looking for.

IK sampletank may be less expensive, but from what I have read, not as high quality.

I have not used either paid product so maybe demo what you can and look for more educated suggestions.

I have tried free instruments with sampletank 3 and in my opinion it is a mixed bag.. piano was pretty nice, the other stuff... not so much.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
thequietroom

or maybe you can split it up between products..

I just got an email from UVI promoting a new orchestral product. Its called Essential Symphonic Orchestra Collection

Doesnt have pianos.. but that may be because they have a full product line for pianos as well

uvi.net

199 direct.. maybe you can find cheaper through another vendor.

if its what its touted to be, it may fill a void in that price range. it seems to me like the "tier 1" orchestra stuff is like mirislav etc.. which i think is pretty old samples and not a lot else that has a full instrument set. Then there is stuff that is way more expensive so maybe this UVI product is a good one.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
NI "Komplete"

-Michael
Yes, NI Komplete, it has a pretty good instruments selection.

Plus, you get Kontakt 5 with it. If you ever get into sampling, Kontakt is by far the best sampler on the market.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
thequietroom

i listened to a bunch of samples on the UVI site.. sounds pretty good to my ear
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
plamuk

kairatune synth is my new favorite (thanks technogremlin). it's so damn good. i know it's not a pack but i can't pass on an opportunity to suggest it.

Last edited by plamuk; 03-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
dea-man

Some companies to research:

Native Instruments (specifically Kontakt, as already mentioned).

IK Multimedia (Many different software packages).

Spectrasonics (Omnisphere, Trilian and Stylus RMX).
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
Komplete sounds like what you are looking for.

IK sampletank may be less expensive, but from what I have read, not as high quality.

I have not used either paid product so maybe demo what you can and look for more educated suggestions.

I have tried free instruments with sampletank 3 and in my opinion it is a mixed bag.. piano was pretty nice, the other stuff... not so much.
I own both NI Komplete 8 and SampleTank 3, and the NI stuff is absolutely of much higher quality.

If I were just starting a VSTi collection, I'd begin with Kontakt and build the collection from there. Even if you don't want to "hunt and peck", there is something to be said for variety and not using one developer's stuff exclusively. With Kontakt you can find/create pretty much any virtual instrument you can imagine.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
dea-man

Have you looked at sites like KVR or Musicradar?

Lot's of great information there!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
The Telenator
Banned

Along the way in your search it would be good to pick up a decent soundfont player -- one that can handle both .SF2 and .SFZ files if possible. Plogue offers a good one for free: sforzando.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
maarkr

Dimension Pro has a nice variety of sounds... if you get most versions of Sonar, it is included, but can be purchased separately.
maarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #13
beingmf

GOOD as in "good" or in "stunning, studio-like quality"? For an instrument bundle, Kontakt is likely the best one. But that said, in my ears it's still far from good.
Take the pianos: they're all recorded the same way, not a single one with room mics to be blended in etc.. The Clavinet is super clean - not something it is known for. Orchestra articulations: vanilla. Synths: okay. Drums: no comment. In short: everything is a tad on the "too clean" side. There's no real dimension to it.

I think for "really good", you will have to rely on third-party libraries - or in case of Kontakt as your sampler engine, add-ons. But you might start with the included Kontakt instruments first and move on if you feel certain ones are lacking too much. The sampler and its possibilities per se are amazing!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #14
Sibben

Agree with NI recommendations. REAPER + NI Komplete is hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck. I think it's worth every penny. Saves me all the time I used to spend looking for plugins or samples. Everything I've ever needed, at least for sketching out ideas, is in there. I've added some stuff on top but alot of that happens to be Native Instruments products as well. I like their stuff. It's very solid and polished.

Last edited by Sibben; 04-01-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 AM   #15
boon

Just upgraded my PC and had to make some choices as I wanted to go fully 64-bit.

On the old PC, I had Sampletank 2.5 and all the Spectrasonics stuff (Omnisphere, Trilian and Stylus RMX).

On the new PC, I had to decide whether to update to Sampletank 3 or go with NI Komplete 10. I went with NI for a variety of reasons and I think I made the right choice. The main reasons were:
  • There are such a wonderful variety of sounds in NI Komplete, I keep coming across instruments that sound good but have hidden depths for easy customisation.
  • From my initial experience, NI support has been fantastic. I had two issues (mostly my own fault) that I raised support tickets for on a Sunday and had answers that worked by mid-Monday morning.
  • There were lots of new instruments that I probably wouldn't have normally bought but have inspired me to try out new musical styles and techniques (i.e. Polyplex and Rounds)
  • Looking at a lot of anecdotal evidence on this and other forums, IK Multimedia don't seem to treat their customers with much respect (see good NI support story above in contrast)
  • The NI Komplete package gives me a lot of future options such as sampling and scripting in Kontakt and synth tweaking in Reaktor which I'm sure I will delve into eventually.
By the way, I love my Spectrasonics stuff but if I had to go for one package for all-round versatility it would be NI Komplete.

Regarding the point earlier about everything in Komplete sounding too clean, that is probably true but it is easier to "dirty up" sounds than to make poor sounds pristine.

There are a couple of my old Sampletank (Sonik Synth) sounds that I miss and they did "fit in the mix" well but, honestly, I'm pretty sure I can replace them all with the Kontakt 5 library sounds.

Boon
boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
bobruzzo

Default VST search

Thank you for all the replies....looks like I will check them all out. Kontact seems to be the winner. I am also seriously thinking of getting the Roland gr 55 guitar synthesizer. I play keyboards on most of my compositions but I am really not a fast player. And I stumble alot. I am thinking I could use a guitar synth to play the fast keyboard parts. But I am still researching this piece of equipment. I love using Mr Ray 22 for its Rhodes tone. It is really the only tone I like to use. I use the "Mellow" patch which sounds good to me. However it crashes in reaper because of some issue with "Synth edit".
So I have to decide whether to invest in Better VST's and still struggle with my keyboard skills, or get the guitar synth and play all my keyboard parts on guitar.
bobruzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Stringer

Before you buy the Roland GR 55 try out the Jam Origin Midi Guitar vst plugin.

http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

You don't need a midi interface or a hex pickup. I have a GR-20 and a Roland Ready Strat, but most of the time I just plug any old guitar directly into the audio interface and use the Jam Origin plugin. For me, it tracks as well as the GR-20. However, when you say "fast" keyboard parts, you should realize that midi guitar stuff doesn't track really, really fast, especially in low registers, whatever you are using. At least in my experience, don't expect to play 16th notes at 120 bpm.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Native Instruments (specifically Kontakt, as already mentioned).
Not to forget Reaktor ... Absynth, Battery, etc. ... Komplete rocks, especially Ultimate.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobruzzo View Post
Thank you for all the replies....looks like I will check them all out. Kontact seems to be the winner. I am also seriously thinking of getting the Roland gr 55 guitar synthesizer. I play keyboards on most of my compositions but I am really not a fast player. And I stumble alot. I am thinking I could use a guitar synth to play the fast keyboard parts. But I am still researching this piece of equipment. I love using Mr Ray 22 for its Rhodes tone. It is really the only tone I like to use. I use the "Mellow" patch which sounds good to me. However it crashes in reaper because of some issue with "Synth edit".
So I have to decide whether to invest in Better VST's and still struggle with my keyboard skills, or get the guitar synth and play all my keyboard parts on guitar.
Bob, does the Roland Guitar Synth have a USB/interface that you can use to run directly into Reaper? I haven't owned a GR since about 1983. If it DOESN'T, then buy something else -- it will be nearly useless in recording with a DAW.

Yes, love MrRay22 but it is a very old VSTi. The commercial version is not much more stable. Many synths have great Rhodes and Wurly-like presets, even freeware Synth1 has some.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Bob, does the Roland Guitar Synth have a USB/interface that you can use to run directly into Reaper? I haven't owned a GR since about 1983. If it DOESN'T, then buy something else -- it will be nearly useless in recording with a DAW.
The GR-20 does not have USB (don't know about the GR-55), but it has midi in and out. You just connect it up to your audio interface with midi cables, if it has midi. If it doesn't, you use a cheapo (around $40) USB midi connector.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
dea-man

Don't forget the POO POO DRUMS!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Don't forget the POO POO DRUMS!!!!!!
any excuse.. (not the pinpoint definition but close enough )

Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
peter5992

Komplete by NI, Omnisphere by Spectrasonics and everything by Eastwest Quantum Leap.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
MIAmbition

Komplete tends to go on sale every year before they come out with a new version. Maybe it's coming up soon? I recall about $400 for Komplete here in the U.S. (the version that's going to be replaced by a new version).
MIAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAmbition View Post
Komplete tends to go on sale every year before they come out with a new version.
Sometimes there is a summer sale. Currently is an Easter Sale for Maschine Studio for 200 bucks less.

In the meantime it's worth to register for the free Komplete Player, which already has some nice appetizers included.

PS: If drums are needed don't miss the free Kontakt based Sennheiser DrumMicA.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 04-01-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #26
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
Just upgraded my PC and had to make some choices as I wanted to go fully 64-bit.

On the old PC, I had Sampletank 2.5

On the new PC, I had to decide whether to update to Sampletank 3 or go with NI Komplete 10.
Hello, I was in the same situation, I wanted full 64 bits.
The thing is, my budget was limited, and so for $99 I chose the Sampletank3 upgrade path!

I don't regret at all! To be honest, after having bought TotalWorkstation (ST2.5 + Sampletron + Miroslav +...) at $150, I was not fully happy, because the quality of the sounds is not consistent at all!

But once you have found the good ones, you realize they are really good, have more character than the ones you find by default in Kontakt. This is really what I was looking for, as I produce hiphop beats.

And in ST3 they added very good sounds, the basses for instance are really really nice; ok the Scarbee MM bass is very good, but in ST3 you can find very similar stuff. Only problem is you have to dig more deeply

But for the price, I am really happy.
I also bought Dimension Pro for a very very cheap price some time ago, and use it for some sounds, such as the mute trumpet that is exactly the one I was looking for, and never found elsewhere.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #27
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
The thing is, my budget was limited, and so for $99 I chose the Sampletank3 upgrade path!

I don't regret at all! To be honest, after having bought TotalWorkstation (ST2.5 + Sampletron + Miroslav +...) at $150, I was not fully happy, because the quality of the sounds is not consistent at all!

But once you have found the good ones, you realize they are really good, have more character than the ones you find by default in Kontakt. This is really what I was looking for, as I produce hiphop beats.

And in ST3 they added very good sounds, the basses for instance are really really nice; ok the Scarbee MM bass is very good, but in ST3 you can find very similar stuff. Only problem is you have to dig more deeply

I also bought Dimension Pro for a very very cheap price some time ago, and use it for some sounds, such as the mute trumpet that is exactly the one I was looking for, and never found elsewhere.
I actually love SampleTank3. I also own most of the old IK synths that were 32bit only and had serious issues in Reaper 64bit...Until the SampleTank upgrade and EVERYTHING is imported and played from one GUI.
Great tracks Frozen Jazz, by the way!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #28
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post

You inspire me to spend a little more time with ST3. I mainly got it because of the generous upgrade price, and it enables me to run Miroslav without the bridge, but I haven't dug too deeply into the actual bread & butter instruments. I haven't found any basses in ST3 that compare to NI's Scarbee, but, again, I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I will look into what's there a bit more deeply.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #29
ivansc

THE REAL PooPoo drums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYese-Hl8M

And a modern reconstruction of the synth that did it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PSOgMr9_I
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #30
ejeffries

Default Electronic and Guitar vst's

Welcome the holy grail of looking for vsts. There are so many and lots of decent free ones. I'm going through the process myself of finding ones and have come to the conclusion that a comprehensive package would eliminate some time but I'm too cheap to close the deal when the price starts becoming hundreds of dollars.

The reason is that every plugin I've demo'd has some really good sounds but also a bunch of sounds I may never use. The only plugins that you really seem have to pay more for are the realistic pianos and other acoustic instruments.

I'm an electronic/guitar guy so it's easy for me to find lots synthesizers. But I also love presets so I recommend demoing Tone2 synths and Synapses Dune2. Tone2 follows the bothersome business model of lots of add ons but their basic synths sound great. They even offer one called Firebird for free.

For guitar, I've been playing with the LePou amp sim plugins (free) and a Rosen Digital cab ($8) with great results. Rosen has a cool business model where you only pay for what you want. The difference between digital cabs is rather too subtle for my ears so I just grabbed an Orange 4x12 and figured I couldn't go wrong. You will need a digital cab to make the amp sims sound their best.

I like simple and modern sounding drums so if you do too, check out Izotope idrum for $49. Lots of presets and kits with an easy to program interface. They also have a more expensive product called Breaktweaker with lots of possibilities for programming wildly cool beats.

Last edited by ejeffries; 04-02-2015 at 08:00 AM.
ejeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #31
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeffries View Post
For guitar, I've been playing with the LePou amp sim plugins (free) ...
Confirmed ... every guitarist should have tested it.

Here's a video, where it's used for Metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjpXPaLIh0

Chris
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #32
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
THE REAL PooPoo drums!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYese-Hl8M

And a modern reconstruction of the synth that did it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PSOgMr9_I
Sounds like someomes microwave dinner is ready... !!

Eventually remembered the name of this track which is what I always think of when referring to drum le poopoo

Feels Like I' m In Love - Kelly Marie | Full HD |: https://youtu.be/gI750ebLVbs

Anyway, a little OT..
Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 AM   #33
beingmf

Hey! Someone on the forum just mentioned this:
http://www.airmusictech.com/product/xpand2#overview

And yes, it's dirt cheap for what it delivers, and may sound different (better even? ) than NI's offerings!?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #34
bigcat1969

If memory serves if you download Drum'ica and install the Kontakt player from it and register that player, then you are eligible for cross-grade pricing. I think that makes Kontakt and Komplete much cheaper. Your mileage may vary.

Komplete Ultimate is an amazing package, but has holes. The biggest one being individual orchestra instruments. It has nice sections like Session Strings and Horns and Action Strings, but for say a solo violin you are stuck with the basic and old instruments from the Kontakt factory library. Also not much on the guitar instrument front.

Speaking as a little indy, freebie instrument maker, there is nothing out there that is free that does the orchestra at a pro level. There are a couple nice individual instruments, oddly several great Cellos, but you'll have to buy something else to get a solid orchestra if you go with KU.
bigcat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #35
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat1969 View Post
If memory serves if you download Drum'ica and install the Kontakt player from it and register that player, then you are eligible for cross-grade pricing.
Cross-grade from the player? I don't think so.

Chris
Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #36
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Cross-grade from the player? I don't think so.
Yeah, seems unlikely. I bought an older version of Kontakt on ebay and saved quite a bit. Just make sure it's legit and valid for upgrade.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #37
bigcat1969

Sorry, you could crossgrade from the player that comes with Sehnheiser - DrumMic'a! to Kontakt full. You couldn't cross-grade straight to Komplete from this version of player.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...ssgrade-offer/
bigcat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #38
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat1969 View Post
Sorry, you could crossgrade from the player that comes with Sehnheiser - DrumMic'a! to Kontakt full.
That's the same price as the Komplete Crossgrade ... what a nonsense ... for 100 bucks more you can buy Komplete 10 Full Version. So this Kontakt Crossgrade isn't a nice offer at all.

Chris
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #39
Sibben

That pricing with Kontakt standalone is just weird.

"Look, you can have one awesome thing for a lot of money or a whole bunch of awesome for just a fraction more."

"I'll take the first. I'm dense and I want to save up for a cup of coffee."