Old 10-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #81
ferropop
Human being with feelings

How is an argument even possible here lol. Cubase/StudioOne/Ableton/Protools/Sonar you highlight stuff and then paste it, and it pastes exactly 100% perfectly every time. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. Done. If this process had even 3 steps instead of 2 that would be outrageous, let alone the insanity of the current implementation.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #82
deeb

hopefully it is concluded there is nothing even close in reaper for this feature.

but i wonder! why you think not so many people participate in this thread or request?
You think people do not understand the need? because the way i see this feature is that any one which needs to copy content should feel the hassles! Probably this is just more notorious for "advanced" electronic music production and his envelopes?

If i were always recording my drums or guitar, or composing classical music, probably i would not feel the need of this feature either.
I need more for electronic music production. How about you guys? the same? you need this more for electronic music?

Last edited by deeb; 10-29-2017 at 07:53 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #83
Vagelis

Must have this in Reaper!!Coming from Cubase,i miss it a lot!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #84
ferropop

I'm sure it's most important for electronic music producers, but my point this whole time is that So Are Automation Items! The last 6 months were spent perfecting AI, something that directly attracts electronic producers, yet copy and paste doesn't work properly.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #85
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
hopefully it is concluded there is nothing even close in reaper for this feature.

but i wonder! why you think not so many people participate in this thread or request?
You think people do not understand the need? because the way i see this feature is that any one which needs to copy content should feel the hassles! Probably this is just more notorious for "advanced" electronic music production and his envelopes?

If i were always recording my drums or guitar, or composing classical music, probably i would not feel the need of this feature either.
I need more for electronic music production. How about you guys? the same? you need this more for electronic music?
You are right Reaper have its strong and weak points. Lack of area selection for easy duplicate is pitty but I think the most important in first place is Reapers unability to select more than one envelope, move theirs control pannels (reorganize positions), select points across multiple envelopes. I hope it gonna be improved.

After all Cubase is bigger team, older and more expensive DAW than Reaper...
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #86
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
You are right Reaper have its strong and weak points. Lack of area selection for easy duplicate is pitty but I think the most important in first place is Reapers unability to select more than one envelope, move theirs control pannels (reorganize positions), select points across multiple envelopes. I hope it gonna be improved.

After all Cubase is bigger team, older and more expensive DAW than Reaper...
sorry i don't consider this less important then reordering envelope tracks or select multiple envelopes in different envelope tracks: ) in fact i feel stuck without it. It is like driving a ferrari which doesn't let me drive more then 30 kmh)

Area / range selection is a feature that will boost the workflow for anything.
select area -> create automation item
select area -> duplicate
select area -> delete

without being concerned with GPS coordinates : ) it is in the right spot, focusing what needs to be focused. (so we don't have to think which track to be selected or timeline range) - it is what you select and Reaper will care if it is an item , envelope , AI on each of the inherent selected tracks and do appropriate actions.

it is not just for envelopes. Envelopes would benefit a lot by this feature but many other will benefit. Also area selection is simple, and any user gets used even without prior experience which is nice to get more new users.

IMO it boost and simplifies any editing job.

Last edited by deeb; 11-17-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #87
strachupl

Quote:
sorry i don't consider this less important then reordering envelope tracks or select multiple envelopes in different envelope tracks: ) in fact i feel stuck without it. It is like driving a ferrari which doesn't let me drive more then 30 kmh)

Area / range selection is a feature that will boost the workflow for anything.
select area -> create automation item
select area -> duplicate
select area -> delete

without being concerned with GPS coordinates : ) it is in the right spot, focusing what needs to be focused. (so we don't have to think which track to be selected or timeline range) - it is what you select and Reaper will care if it is an item , envelope , AI on each of the inherent selected tracks and do appropriate actions.

it is not just for envelopes. Envelopes would benefit a lot by this feature but many other will benefit. Also area selection is simple, and any user gets used even without prior experience which is nice to get more new users.

IMO it boost and simplifies any editing job.
ok, I meant there must be ability to seleect and ediit multiple envelopes to make area selection FR sense, at least I think so.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #88
ferropop

Hi all, just spent over 3 hours doing time selections, quirkily drawing in empty items overtop envelopes, correcting weird pastes, correcting destroyed envelope points, just to duplicate sections of my project.

With proper area selection, this would have taken 5 minutes.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #89
ferropop

Like I just want to draw a box around stuff, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and the contents of that box then exist at a new location. You know?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #90
vanhaze

Yes, I know ..

Totally agree here ..

Cockos introduced Automation Items: Amazing stuff.
Now they really should focus on proper & easy area selection handling of Items / Automation Items / envelopes.

It's what you say: you marquee an area, including (parts of) Items / Envelopes / Automation Items with the intuition : That's the area i wanna delete / move / duplicate / cut. No more, no less.

Just to experience that your intuition is completely off.
I hold my breath for Reaper newcomers, having that same intuition regarding area selection, but are let down by it, cause it doesn't work as thought.
And then scratchheads 2.0: "Why the h*ll doesn't it work that way, it should be so obvious !"

As always Folks: Just my very humble 2 cents.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #91
Allspice

Totally with you both. Thanks for continuing to bring this up, as I'm dealing with similar issues in my recent projects since there's more automation during composition than usual for me. The marquee/time selection mouse modifier and "Copy items/tracks/envelope points within time selection, if any" is usable, but has a lot of bugs with automation.

Hopefully if we keep documenting each individual piece of bad behavior (rather than the tempting "it all doesn't work") and propose alternatives it will get sorted out.

For example, the big problems I've noticed here are both missing features and bugs:

- There should be a mouse modifier for "Marquee select items/envelope points" for all this to work, no?

- Native action "Duplicate selected area of items" behaves in a counter-intuitive fashion when "Marquee select items and time" is used. It seems user preference would be to account for any automation inside the marquee. This could possibly be handled by two new actions, hopefully without the current Smart Copy bug where it leaves behind unfocused automation points without an item.

- "Duplicate selected area of items/envelope points"
- "Select all items/envelope points within time selection"

It's hard to say if users would want that as the default factory behavior,
but some people definitely expect an option for that.

- Native action "Copy items/tracks/envelope points within time selection, if any" ignores envelope points and Automation Items that are not associated with an item if the envelope lane is not in focus. This is the default CMD + Shift + C action and it should be the "area selection" action, once it works, from what I can tell. This is more of a bug than an FR, from what I can tell.

Last edited by Allspice; 01-31-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Allspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #92
ferropop

I'm fully aware of the time and effort necessary to code a new feature. Truly, with a computer science background, I can fully appreciate that "it's not that easy" to just add stuff.

HOWEVER -- My whole claim with this is that It's So Damned Fundamental that I just can't believe it's not there, and also that not once have the devs even given a shimmer of hope that we're going to get this.

How is this even a special request? It's copy-and-paste in the most obvious possible way - Draw a box around things. Studio One takes it further and lets you 'erase' parts of the box --- Let's go there in 2022 or not at all! But like Jesus it's Murderous trying to copy/paste stuff of any complexity in Reaper, and I just cannot believe it. We have Regions already -- that's 50% of area selection already coded.

Is it so crazy to be able to draw a box around things ON A GRID? lol.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #93
Allspice

Hey ferropop,

I definitely feel your pain Just to stay current on the state of area selection with "Smart Copy" as Reaper calls it, would you mind adding whether or not you can duplicate this behavior in this post?

I'm also trying to get together a list of what is still needed on this front. It seems like smart copy behaves a little differently since your original post, but it still leaves behind automation without items. Which means that working around the fact that there isn't a mouse modifier for "Marquee select items/envelope points" much harder. What other issues are you noticing in your current projects? I bring up everything I notice but I don't use as much automation as some of y'all!

Keep in mind there are also some Automation Item copy/paste/duplicate issues that are collected in a separate thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Allspice; 01-31-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:42 AM   #94
airon

The request has a good chance to get noticed, if you can show a specific need for a specific situation.

Area selection is a range selection that is local to track(s) or envelope-lanes.

Some cases where this is useful seem to be covered with existing capabilities. Reapers just too flexible to have a ready made solution you expect at times, so you have to look and twist it a bit.

Other situation are not covered at all. Does Reaper make you do things that cost you a lot more time than they should ?

Explain it step by step. Assume that the person you're explaining it to knows absolutely nothing. That's the important bit, because it improves your explanation a lot. I made the mistake of presuming Cockos held more knowledge than I had any right to assume it did, because I didn't know them. And neither do you.

So, let's hear what the problem is that you have. Cockos have a knack for coming up with good solutions once they understand what the problem is.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #95
ferropop

Airon, I can't be more clear than this (the first post in the thread hehe):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
ABLETON:

Result: Exact duplication of selection

REAPER:

Result:
1. Track-2 volume automation chopped at edge of item. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
2. Track-3 volume automation broken up into pieces. Bye-bye reverb/delay tail.
3. Track-4 automation not even copied because there are no items.

...now throw Automation Items into this mess.

This is just the tiniest example of just how flawed the current duplication is in Reaper Again, Reaper destroys Ableton in a million other ways, but this is Such core functionality that is going to drive the new crop away immediately.

I just want Reaper to be the best it can be!!! This would get it 99% of the way there.
I literally feel anxiety every time I have to do this in Reaper (which is a lot), especially knowing that this (super elementary) function of copy-and-paste just works in every other DAW.

It's a grid! Imagine if Copy/paste in Excel only worked properly horizontally. Like, what?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #96
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Explain it step by step. Assume that the person you're explaining it to knows absolutely nothing. That's the important bit, because it improves your explanation a lot. I made the mistake of presuming Cockos held more knowledge than I had any right to assume it did, because I didn't know them. And neither do you.

So, let's hear what the problem is that you have.
here is an example: note that the video shows mostly area selection applied on automation envelopes, but it works the same with items or envelopes and mixed.

https://streamable.com/7nrby
Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #97
ferropop

It's particularly bad when duplicating envelopes.

I mean this sincerely: Reaper is SO BAD and frustrating with duplication that it makes me want to switch DAWs, and yet SO GOOD in every other way that it keeps me here. That's a crazy dichotomy.

It's like when The Beatles have a bad song (and the have a couple), you wonder -- how??

Just spent another 2 hours carefully selecting-time and duplicating items/automation piece-by-piece to try out different arrangements...again a 5 minute thing in Cubase/Ableton, bam-bam-bam copy, paste, ok I like this half let's get rid of that, bam move that there, great all automation intact, perfect.

Ughhhhh!<3
Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #98
ferropop

Devs, can we just get some kind of answer on this? It must be the most requested feature of all time at this point, just a simple "yeah we're working on this" or "we're not planning on implementing area selection". Is there some reason why it's never addressed? Cause we'll stfu about it lol, but silence just begets squeakier wheels.

Like...we'll all use the hell out of ARA, but could we maybe get non-windows-3.1-style copy and paste going before that maybe?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #99
Allspice

That's a good point regarding specificity, airon. I'm going to put together a list in a new FR of some very specific actions/mouse modifiers that address various common cases where REAPER falls short with copying and duplicating as it relates to ITB-songwriting.

I shot you a PM for feedback ferropop since I have a feeling we're running into similar issues with the current selection, copy, and duplicate toolset.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #100
ChristopherT

The grouping in ProTools is great, the window showing what is grouped / or not makes editing large projects / track counts is simple.

I am tired of marqueeing everything in Reaper. It is cumbersome.

In ProTools I can have one waveform on the screen, select a portion of it, and paste elsewhere, and everything grouped (including automation) is pasted.
Simple fast effortless.
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #101
vanhaze

This whole Area selection topic has become so hot the last months ..
Wish Cockos could chime in on this officially.(maybe they already did and i missed that)

Just to let us know they are (maybe) looking into it or otherwise stating it's never gonna happen.

Warm Regards.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #102
ferropop

Just a quick bump for the most important FR imaginable. <3
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #103
Luster

+1 from my side

In the end it's just two functions expecting to work like with every other software - copy and paste. The first post shows it pretty well and that font example image illustrates the problem up pretty much.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #104
Tristam

Default Enough voices can make a change!!

This with the obvious inclusion of automation items in between the tracks would be huge! Bumping my own idea but if its for the better LETS GO!

AGREED that this could be the MOST important Feature Request.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (44.8 KB, 243 views)
Tristam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #105
SKYLINK

Default yes yes yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristam View Post
This with the obvious inclusion of automation items in between the tracks would be huge! Bumping my own idea but if its for the better LETS GO!

AGREED that this could be the MOST important Feature Request.

this would be amazing!
SKYLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #106
ferropop

I was showing someone how quickly I could do stuff in Reaper - they were absolutely blown away! Bam keycommands, run this script, stretch this Automation Item. They were amazed!

Then they said "ok duplicate this section of stuff over there", and I spent A FULL HOUR selecting time, highlighting, incorrectly pasting starting on the wrong track because there's no guides, making sure edgepoints were preserved (they weren't), correcting automation item improper copies and partial curve approximations, toggling "Points move with media items" and doing small sections at a time depending on which setting was cleaner --- it was an absolute nightmare.

In Ableton that process took a single highlight, copy, and paste. They were immediately turned off from Reaper.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #107
ferropop

I'm not being a dick (Reaper is the greatest DAW!), I'm just painting a clear picture of HOW IMPORTANT this absolutely fundamental feature is, and how literally everything else can wait in comparison. It's such a workflow destroyer, and mitigates every advantage that Reaper has over other DAWs
Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #108
vitalker

Quote:
I'm not being a dick (Reaper is the greatest DAW!)
You are wtong! Reaper 5.x is not the greatest DAW, because Reaper 6.x is much better.
I agree with you, this feature should appear. Although there are many features, which should be implemented. Maybe we will see it soon.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #109
vanhaze

Indeed, you're not being a Dick ferropop.
Even more, you got an excellent point.

Me thinks that when any other DAW user is told that Reaper just can't simply copy-paste everything that lies into a made selection, he is p*ssing his pants of.
Simply cause every DAW user would assume that if you made an area selection with the intention to copy that area selection to another place in time, it just would copy indeed THAT WHOLE area selection, nothing more but certainly nothing less.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #110
juliansader

Quote:
Then they said "ok duplicate this section of stuff over there", and I spent A FULL HOUR selecting time, highlighting, incorrectly pasting starting on the wrong track because there's no guides, making sure edgepoints were preserved (they weren't), correcting automation item improper copies and partial curve approximations, toggling "Points move with media items" and doing small sections at a time depending on which setting was cleaner --- it was an absolute nightmare.
Could you perhaps post examples of the stuff that you were trying to duplicate?

Hopefully we can figure out practical ways to do so, within the current limitations of REAPER.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #111
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Could you perhaps post examples of the stuff that you were trying to duplicate?

Hopefully we can figure out practical ways to do so, within the current limitations of REAPER.
excuse me ! it is a waste of time. Every example is an example of non optimal copy paste (item, envelope points, Ai). There is no workaround to do things in 1 second on every situation with same procedure for every situation like Area selection does.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #112
juliansader

Quote:
excuse me ! it is a waste of time. Every example is an example of non optimal copy paste (item, envelope points, Ai). There is no workaround to do things in 1 second on every situation with same procedure for every situation like Area selection does.
What *is* a waste of time, is spending an hour trying to duplicate stuff, if there is a faster way.

If these duplication issues are really so bothersome to some users (and not just something silly to gripe and grouse about), wouldn't they welcome any trick or workaround to save some time?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #113
deeb

not for me! at this moment i just assume i cant do it/trust, so i dont even bother trying to do, and this helps me.
The only reliable way for me is to make use of AIs on every automation lane! which hads quite a lot of work and otherwise unnecessary complexity, also their own "why reaper why" things, but i kind of trust. So Basically AIs are being used for this : ( and "this" still is probably 25% of what can be done with area selection being maybe 50 times slower and visual complex.

Last edited by deeb; 06-13-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #114
ferropop

Quick bump for this essential and absolutely core feature request.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #115
vitalker

@Justin @schwa any comment on this please?
Area selection would be really awesome and mega useful.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #116
ferropop

Last edited by ferropop; 07-12-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #117
ferropop

You guys ever get in that crazy mood where you want to duplicate sections of your project without destroying parts of your central nervous system in the process?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #118
deeb

Quote:
You guys ever get in that crazy mood where you want to duplicate sections of your project without destroying parts of your central nervous system in the process?
I find it amazing too! almost unbelievable! it is discouraging! full of hassles! but who am i!

anyway: did you see my request for range selection like in cubase?:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209549
Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #119
Edgemeal

@ ferropop
Just curious why you never replied to this solution,
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=190

Does it not work?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #120
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
@ ferropop
Just curious why you never replied to this solution,
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=190

Does it not work?
question is not for me! Anyway! i am not with DAW ! but wonder if this can be used without having to select an item to carry the automation?
can i copy an area of automation only with this method?

if not! that is a problem, since automation can be seen just like midi notes (musical events), and we need to copy this events to other places, and having to carry an item in order to copy this events is not logical and it is undesired as probably there are already other items in that place or items does not make sense to exist at all, like in example: automation on send effects or delays feedback with other automations

Last edited by deeb; 08-08-2018 at 11:07 AM.