Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #761
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrabua View Post
In case anyone ever thought "Would be nice to have a graphical manager application for the various LinVst bridges...", then this might be interesting to you:
So after installing this and giving it a spin, I just wanted to say this thing is AWESOME. So good. For those of you using LinVST this is pretty much a must have.

@Westrabua do you have a donate link anywhere?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #762
clepsydrae

Thanks Westrabua! That looks awesome. Glad to see that kind of effort happening. Is it your creation?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #763
Westrabua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
So after installing this and giving it a spin, I just wanted to say this thing is AWESOME. So good. For those of you using LinVST this is pretty much a must have.

@Westrabua do you have a donate link anywhere?
Thanks Klangfarben for the feedback and giving it a try! Nice to see it being helpful to others.
Oh wow, haven't thought about this until now, but sure. I've added one to my signature (and github).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Thanks Westrabua! That looks awesome. Glad to see that kind of effort happening. Is it your creation?
Thanks clepsydrae for the feedback! Yeah, I'm actually the developer. I guess it's a bit confusing that my name on this forum is Westrabua, but on github it's Goli4thus. It's just that I've had this account for such a long time now. Anyway, I've added some info on that to my signature.

Furthermore I wanna mention that I had a really dedicated beta tester on github (keybreak), who actually pushed me quite a bit with his unusual setup of over 2000 VSTs. So the fact that this application is at the point it is now is also partly due to his feedback and testing.

A.k.a Goli4thus (on github). Donate

Last edited by Westrabua; 03-06-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #764
Klangfarben

Quote:
I've added one to my signature (and github).
Donated!

Quote:
Furthermore I wanna mention that I had a really dedicated beta tester on github (keybreak), who actually pushed me quite a bit with his unusual setup of over 2000 VSTs. So the fact that this application is at the point it is now is also partly due to his feedback and testing.
Um, someone is running over 2000 Windows VST plugins in Linux with LinVST? And has them all working?? That's both impressive and frightening.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #765
clepsydrae

Quote:
Donated!
Same! I hope all linux users will support efforts to make it easier for everyone.

Quote:
Um, someone is running over 2000 Windows VST plugins in Linux with LinVST? And has them all working?? That's both impressive and frightening.
That's, like... most of the VSTs! (probably not, I know...)
Old 03-07-2020, 01:47 AM   #766
Westrabua

Quote:
Donated!

Thanks, really appreciated!
Well, from some local analysis we did on his collection I know for a fact that the number is over 2000. How many of them he actually uses on a regular basis I don't know.
But he did start a project of his own some time ago in an attempt to collect "compatibility" data for lots of VSTs.
https://github.com/keybreak/linux-vs...atibility-list (see the "Project page" link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Same! I hope all linux users will support efforts to make it easier for everyone.

That's, like... most of the VSTs! (probably not, I know...)
Thank you too!
Yeah, most likely not all due to the sheer number of VSTs ever created.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #767
Klangfarben

Quote:
Thanks, really appreciated!
Well, from some local analysis we did on his collection I know for a fact that the number is over 2000. How many of them he actually uses on a regular basis I don't know.
But he did start a project of his own some time ago in an attempt to collect "compatibility" data for lots of VSTs.
https://github.com/keybreak/linux-vs...atibility-list (see the "Project page" link).
Ok, that's insane. Going to try and get in touch with him to add some tested plugins to this because that is by far the most complete tested list I've seen to date.

So, just a question about LinVST Manager. You are able to use multiple bridges at the same time without issue? I'm using Manjaro and when installing LinVST from the AUR it only lets you install one version at a time of the 4 versions (LinVST, LinVST-X, LinVST3 and LinVST3-X). If you try and install another version it deinstalls the others. I'm assuming this is just a mistake by the person adding LinVST to the AUR, but just wanted to make sure.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #768
Westrabua

Quote:
So, just a question about LinVST Manager. You are able to use multiple bridges at the same time without issue? I'm using Manjaro and when installing LinVST from the AUR it only lets you install one version at a time of the 4 versions (LinVST, LinVST-X, LinVST3 and LinVST3-X). If you try and install another version it deinstalls the others. I'm assuming this is just a mistake by the person adding LinVST to the AUR, but just wanted to make sure.
I'm on Manjaro myself, but I've never installed Linvst (including any of its versions) using the AUR. I've always download official releases from github or cloned the master branch.

I just gave it another look.
Technically is definitely possible to install all four versions alongside each other at the same time, because osxmidi named their associated install files all differently.
I currently have all 4 versions installed by using the "manual install" method described on github.

I also had a quick look at the PKGBUILDs regarding all four bridges.
- linvst2.git: conflicts=('linvst' 'linvst-stable' 'linvst2x')
- linvst2x.git: conflicts=('linvst' 'linvst-stable' 'linvst2')
- linvst3.git: conflicts=('linvst3x')
- linvst3x.git: conflicts=('linvst3')

I suppose the maintainer of those AUR packages might simply not be aware that all those versions can coexists alongside each other and be used at the same time.
Furthermore it's not like he is renaming any "output files" from the build. So it might really just be a matter of removing those "conflicts" lines.

EDIT:
I've just sent the maintainer of those packages an email regarding that circumstance.

Last edited by Westrabua; 03-07-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #769
clepsydrae

Quote:
Yeah, most likely not all due to the sheer number of VSTs ever created.
That would be an interesting number for someone to estimate...
Old 03-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #770
Klangfarben

Quote:
I've just sent the maintainer of those packages an email regarding that circumstance.
Man, thank you so much! I was about to do the same. Yeah, the only reason I get LinVST from the AUR is 1) someone seems to be keeping it very much up to date and 2) I get notifications when there are updates so I can update everything right in Pamac, which is pretty convenient.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 AM   #771
Westrabua

Quote:
Man, thank you so much! I was about to do the same. Yeah, the only reason I get LinVST from the AUR is 1) someone seems to be keeping it very much up to date and 2) I get notifications when there are updates so I can update everything right in Pamac, which is pretty convenient.
Good news: The maintainer of those packages already updated those packages as suggested and as a bonus created a package for LinVstManager as well.
So that should be even more confinient for Arch/Manjaro users right now.