Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Giano
Banned

Default Bass Amp Sim

Which bass amp sim (plugin) would you recommend ?

Last edited by Giano; 12-15-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
camerondye
Human being with feelings

What kind of music are you mainly doing? What is your main bass?
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Giano
Banned

Fender Precision.
Funk, Jazz, R&B, Rock, Fusion

I know there is IK Ampeg SVX plugin and Softube amp Room Plugin (do not want iLok! and there is no good Review/Video!), and both of them are pretty old (does not mean they must be bad, but... ?)
And Studio Devil Bass Amp Pro plugin is more for metal, isnīt it ?

I have downloaded IK Multimedia īs Amplitude3 free custom shop version, they say IK Ampeg SVX is included, but I can not select Ampeg bass amps
only the free available amps ?!

Last edited by Giano; 12-15-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
Studio Devil Bass Amp Pro plugin is more for metal, isnīt it ?
Not really. I use it all the time, and I don't really do metal. I love that amp. It has extreme presets, but that includes something called 'Pillow Soft', which is wonderful for dub, but not really much use for metal. Have you tried the demo?

I've just been putting drums and guitar through one....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Not really. I use it all the time, and I don't really do metal. I love that amp. It has extreme presets, but that includes something called 'Pillow Soft', which is wonderful for dub, but not really much use for metal. Have you tried the demo?

I've just been putting drums and guitar through one....
Have downloaded and will test it. Thanks. Has demo version all features ?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
camerondye

Look up overloud's Mark Bass VST and try it out. Right now it is $82.39 at audiodeluxe so it's a reasonable price and it doesn't use Ilok which rules out Softube and Line6 which are both pretty good also. Studio Devil I always thought, when I used it 5 years ago, was kind of geared a little more towards metal than you might want. I'm sure they've updated it since then so I bet it's better now.

http://www.overloud.com/products/mark_studio2.php

Mark Bass makes a great bass amp for a jazz, funk, fusion tone so it will probably be a good one to go with but I haven't tried it out in a while so definitely try before you buy but that would be my best suggestion for a vst.

Another good idea would be a hardware solution which I currently own...a used Eden WTDI. I bought mine for $85 used and it really does sound exactly like an Eden because it is an Eden and has a touch of compression which for the studio is never a bad thing. This is a great DI to get an excellent bass tone.

I also have more Bass DI's that if you would post about a minute or so clip of you playing direct I could run it through some pedals and give you a perfect example of what each pedal sounds like, but it's up to you I know some people are shy about posting clips.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
Has demo version all features ?
I think so, but I can't remember if it injects silence or white noise or something....

As per camerondye, post some bass, let's play....
Old 12-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
karbomusic

TBH, 99% of the time I just plug the bass directly into a nice preamp.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Giano
Banned

I ve tested both plugins Mark amp and StudioDevil on a track and I like Studio Devil, because this amp sim makes the bass sit very nicely in the mix, sound is very clear. Got to check tracking/playing/recording to see if there are latency issues or CPU issues. Itīs pretty strange that Studio Devil bass amp has a reverb ? Never used reverb for bass, but you can deactivate it, some nice presets, but there could be some more...

Thanks a lot for recommendations :-)

Last edited by Giano; 12-15-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Giano
Banned

Default Bad hiss noise quality

Now I played some bass to a mix, and with headphones I notice too much hiss noice with Devil Studio plugin, with the "bright" knob the hiss noise can be attenuated, but itīs still there. Well, I only hear it, when I play bass only, inthe mix one does not noticeit any more, but well...
A plugin does not have to imitate hiss or amp noises, IMHO, but in case they do, it ought to be authentic - first time I get aware of the fact that there are different qualities of hiss noise or amp noise.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
camerondye

Remember that a big part of studio devil sitting well in a mix is the distortion...try throwing distortion on any bass tone and be amazed at how well it sits or disappears in a mix. Thats one reason I love using a distressor hardware compressor on bass guitar...the distortion modes are wonderful especially on bass. Distortion can always be added, make sure with what vst you use the tone is what you are going for knowing distortion can be added easily later.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Giano
Banned

Oh yes you are right, I have two bass tracks, one with DI Signal with low pass at 250 hz (250-450 hz)and no compression, and one track with amp sim and cab and compressor and Massey tape head plugin and high pass at 250 hz (250 - 450 hz). I like Joemeek Floor Q compressor

Last edited by Giano; 12-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Look up overloud's Mark Bass VST and try it out. Right now it is $82.39 at audiodeluxe so it's a reasonable price and it doesn't use Ilok which rules out Softube and Line6 which are both pretty good also....

I also have more Bass DI's that if you would post about a minute or so clip of you playing direct I could run it through some pedals and give you a perfect example of what each pedal sounds like, but it's up to you I know some people are shy about posting clips.
Lemme hear what it sounds like, hereīs a link to some dry bass.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
camerondye

No Link
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Giano
Banned

Quote:
No Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxgpi89n1b...nTest.wav?dl=0
Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
timboz

Have you tried the TSE audio BOD yet?
http://www.tseaudio.com/software/tseBOD
timboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Fex

^ BOD is a nice tool to have in your arsenal.

EZMix might not be the best solution to the problem, but it is the next-best solution to so many problems....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u36ze2fra5...denEZ.mp3?dl=0
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
kindafishy

I've been using Ignite Amps SHB-1 lately. I think it's excellent. All the Ignite plugins are very, very good IMO.

http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

If you stick their TPA-1 in front of it, it opens up some more possibilities. Follow it up with an IR loader or not if you wish (they also have NadIR).

I have just been using the SHB-1 with my DI bass signal with no other cabinet or anything and I am quite happy with the tones I am getting.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #19
camerondye

So I ran your bass through all of the Bass preamps I own and a couple of them with different settings for fun. The names should explain what I was doing with the files. I tried to relatively level match them but just put them all into a Reaper project and I'm sure you can fix any level matching stuff I didn't get. Some of the files have compression on them because the pedal has the option of compressing and also I ran the Reddi straight and the Reddi through a Distressor compressor with Dist3 turned on doing a decent amount of compression because that is by far my favorite setup for bass. You can download the files at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Preamps.zip
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #20
Giano
Banned

Quote:
So I ran your bass through all of the Bass preamps I own and a couple of them with different settings for fun. The names should explain what I was doing with the files. I tried to relatively level match them but just put them all into a Reaper project and I'm sure you can fix any level matching stuff I didn't get. Some of the files have compression on them because the pedal has the option of compressing and also I ran the Reddi straight and the Reddi through a Distressor compressor with Dist3 turned on doing a decent amount of compression because that is by far my favorite setup for bass. You can download the files at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Preamps.zip
Thanks.
Very interesting. I like Reddi with Distressor best, Aguilar Tone Hammer is nice, too. Do you also have bass cap plugins ?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #21
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I've been using Ignite Amps SHB-1 lately. I think it's excellent. All the Ignite plugins are very, very good IMO.

http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins

If you stick their TPA-1 in front of it, it opens up some more possibilities. Follow it up with an IR loader or not if you wish (they also have NadIR).

I have just been using the SHB-1 with my DI bass signal with no other cabinet or anything and I am quite happy with the tones I am getting.
SHB-1 is nice, but TPA-1 ?, I normally prefer subtle plugins, but this one does not work at all, no difference in sound when inserted, turning "presence" and or "Depth" knob does not change sound either, only "volume" knob seems to work ?!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #22
bluzkat

TPA-1 is a Power Amp and doesn't add much except volume when used by itself.

If used before an amp sim (as mentioned in kindafishy's post), you will get a different response by raising the input of the amp sim.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
camerondye

I just got through an email with Studio Devil about upgrading my old version of their Bass Amp to Bass Amp Pro and they told me the upgrade was $59 even though the new version is on sale right now for $69.

If you buy this product, you will get charged a lot to upgrade it if they update it. I was liking what I was hearing sound wise but not taking care of past customers really makes me upset.

Last edited by camerondye; 12-16-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
Sinner

I like Amplitube's G-K emulation. You can get the free version and just get it and the speaker thru the custom shop.