Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
devilsgirth
Human being with feelings

Default Recording acoustic guitar?

Im using a audio technica AT2020 condensor mic and having troubles getting my nylon string classical guitar to sound good. I have a br 900cd and recording acoustic guitar on that sounds way better than with a mic and reaper. One of the main problems is white noise, the noise gate in reaper doesnt help with it cause when a note plays back in the recording the white noise in the background comes with it. Any tips on how to get a really natural clean recording of acoustic guitar?
devilsgirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Coachz

Where is the noise comng from? Computer fan, air conditioner, room fan, noisy preamp ? That mic shuld be very quiet.

I assume you are using the XLR inputs on the BR900CD.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
camerondye

Yeah, what are you recording the 2020 in to? You really didn't say.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
devilsgirth

For the br900 I was just using the internal mics, I wasnt using any microphone for that. The interface that Im plugging my 2020 into is a saffire pro 40 and im connecting via XLR. Im using a macbook pro 13". I dont know what the noise is it just kind of sounds like when you turn speakers up a lot but the song is paused but you can hear that constant blank noise. It isn't super loud but it's noticeable and makes the recording sound amateur
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
camerondye

Are you are using phantom power off the saffire?

Are you having to turn up the gain on the preamplifier a lot?

How close is the mic to the guitar? Where on the guitar is the mic setup?

Can you post the recordings?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
devilsgirth

Yea im using phantom power on saffire, I dont have a stand for my microphone yet so I have it lying over the table about 8 to 10 inches away and in front of the sound hole. Here's the song:

http://soundcloud.com/devilsgirth/brown-town
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
camerondye

I was really wanting to just hear the problem track but I would guess the no mic stand thing is your issue. Condenser mics are incredibly sensitive and no mic stand is pretty much asking for trouble. It also sounds like you have a quiet guitar and maybe having to crank the sapphire is causing the issue but I'm not sure because I've never used the sapphire but some preamps on converters don't do well cranked. That's my guess without hearing the problem file alone.

Also, generally mics in front of the sound hole is not a good idea...usually around the neck joint to the 15th fret is optimal for a 1 mic setup. 8-10 inches is generally fine depending on how loud the guitar is and how good your room is.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
devilsgirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I was really wanting to just hear the problem track but I would guess the no mic stand thing is your issue. Condenser mics are incredibly sensitive and no mic stand is pretty much asking for trouble. It also sounds like you have a quiet guitar and maybe having to crank the sapphire is causing the issue but I'm not sure because I've never used the sapphire but some preamps on converters don't do well cranked. That's my guess without hearing the problem file alone.

Also, generally mics in front of the sound hole is not a good idea...usually around the neck joint to the 15th fret is optimal for a 1 mic setup. 8-10 inches is generally fine depending on how loud the guitar is and how good your room is.
Ok thanks a lot, I'll get a stand for my mic and use your techniques. Sorry for adding the whole song I was lazy and figured you could hear it good enough right at the beginning with the lone guitar riff.