Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #1
Oberheim
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper rewire with Sibelius (playback latency problems) (help)

I rewire Reaper 5.91 as host and Sibelius 7.5 as slave. Unfortunately, Sibelius don't have rewire midi therefore I use LoopMidi (virtual midi ports).

I have 10 instruments = 10 staffs. If one staff as solo is played eight and sixteens notes in 120 tempo, everything is ok, but problem start, when 4 staffs start play, the eight and sixteens notes are in chaos, some notes are joined in to one, or not played, like as there is some latency.

I tried Notion 6 demo, and it is play as expected. Where can be problem, it is Sibelius? or in settings in Reaper? What settings should I looking for under options for that problem?
Oberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
mschnell

Playing back in real time and re-recording IMHO is not a very good idea, but just the last resort.

It would be much better to import a file. Does Sibelius not support Music XML ?
If not exporting a Midi file and reading same by Reaper should be doable. (Reaper can import both formats, but Music XML of course provides a lot additional informations over Midi.)

Edit:
Sibelius can do Music XML. See -> https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugi...5-1-and-later/

The video there shows as well Midi file as Music XML export/import.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-23-2018 at 05:43 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Oberheim

Thanks, but my idea is not re-recording, only for playback. I am aware of exporting midi or xml.

Previously I used Overture 4 connected with LoopMidi with Reaper without problems (not as rewire), with around 32 instruments. After finish composition I exported it as midi. Every keyswitch or midi messages was ready for instruments. I sometimes tweak only some expression data, like modwheel.

Something similar I want to do with Sibelius, because I dont want draw all data in Reaper. And I want hear instruments for which I compose.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
mschnell

Why not import the Sibelius notes in Reaper and gave Reaper play the complete composition ?

-Michael
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Oberheim

Because while composing I will use several techniques which need send midi CC like change from arco to pizz, tremolos, vibratos etc.. Putting this on score and change it anytime is easier then draw it in Reaper for each instrument individualy and if I want big rearange, I simply move multiple technique signs on score and than it is done. Exporting midi from Sibelius is final stage. That's how I imagine it would be.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
mschnell

If you only want playback, I don't understand why you even look at the Midi notes in Reaper ("notes are joined") instead of only have Reaper render them with your VSTis in realtime. (In fact you did not exactly say what Midi messages you send from Sibelius to Reaper). I every day user Reaper for Live playing with a keyboard and there is no latency (or "joined notes") problem at all.

Just a thought:

Another way of having Reaper and Sibelius play together might be syncing them via Midi timing messages.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-23-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Oberheim

Hmm, to be more clear, this is what I want
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137265

and solution for my problem is
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=21

Copied text from post:
"... go into ReaperPreferences (ctrl P) and change the audio driver (from ASIO, to something, and back to ASIO). Often that will make the playback nice again."

After that, the notes are playing correctly (from Sibelius).