Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings

Default Setting a default selected track in template?

Is there anyway to have the selected track be visible (to the far right) in the mixer window upon loading of a session?

My workflow revolves around only having one track visible in the mixing window and off to the side. I then use that to load VSTs and VSTis. The issue is that when I load a session, the only visible track is the first track in the session (or the last visible track from a previous session).

For my work flow this doesn't work well, as I prefer to have all of my external aux send tracks grouped and put at the top of the track, so I can continue to build and add tracks in a downward fashion without thinking about the aux tracks. I end up always forgetting that (even though I have the correct track selected) I am not viewing the correct track when I go to import a VST or VSTi.

This causes me to wonder why my VSTs aren't working, then when I remember what is going on, I have to move the VSTs to the proper track and delete them from the original track that is visible. After doubling clicking a track, the mixer view properly follows track selection from that point on, thus confusing me again when it stops this behavior upon loading a new session.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this?
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
explodingPSYCH

Bump...

Is it not possible to have the default selected track in a new session appear in the mixer window on the far right without having to click it first???

The mixer window seems to ignore the selected track until it's clicked?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
explodingPSYCH

Are there any script options or action/preference settings I can implement to make this work?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
xpander

If you have a certain way of starting your new projects, you could first set up a new project how you want it (including the track selection) and save the whole thing as a project template. Then whenever you need to start a new project, you'll load in this project template.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
If you have a certain way of starting your new projects, you could first set up a new project how you want it (including the track selection) and save the whole thing as a project template. Then whenever you need to start a new project, you'll load in this project template.
I should have clarified that I"ve already done this. Unfortunately while a project does save what track is selected, it does load it's correct position (to the far right) in the mix window. Once you click the track manually, it then loads the position data in the mix window.

This lack of "loading the mixer window position" has lead me to countless time load VSTs and VSTis into the wrong track and wonder what is wrong, then remember "oh yeah, my track is selected, but the mix window is not updated."
Old 08-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #6
akademie

Hello explodingPSYCH,
I just setup a custom action, that does the thing, although it has inconvenience to have to use browse window to select project file to be loaded. Otherwise it sets the selected "out of mixer view" track back "into view":-)
I think it works OK with one selected track, don't know how it acts if multiple track are selected though :-(

You can check for yourself:

Custom: seltrack into view

File: Open project
Track: Go to previous track
Track: Go to next track
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote