Old 09-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Default ALSA MIDI Issues

Hey, so I've very recently jumped into Reaper in Linux and am currently using Manjaro (Arch based). I'm having some issues with ALSA MIDI and I could use some help trying to figure out if they are user error or if the current Reaper implementation is lacking.

Right now, I'm using the McLaren Lab's RTP MIDI implementation https://mclarenlabs.com/rtpmidi/ which although written for Debian/Ubuntu I was able to resolve all the dependencies and get it working under Manjaro. I'm using a Kiss Box MIDI2TR to get hardware MIDI into RTP MIDI. RTP MIDI shows up under aconnect and when I test the hardware controller and look at the dump in the terminal it looks great. Everything smooth and accurate.

Now, here's where my problems start. First of all, even though RTP MIDI is an ALSA device, Reaper doesn't see it, or any of the port sessions connected in RTP MIDI. I understand Justin said the Reaper ALSA MIDI implementation is currently RAW MIDI only but basically unless I'm missing something this means I can use one RTP MIDI port in Reaper and that's it. Am I wrong about that? If not, are there any plans to implement ALSA MIDI a little better so I can see all my ports like in Ardour and the like?

Second, with the current limitation above, I'm just connecting RTP MIDI to the Reaper virtual midi port. Is there a reason there is only one Reaper virtual port? Having only one port available is pretty darn limiting and is a bit of a showstopper for me switching over to Linux full time. Again, just wondering what the road map here is for this.

Third, and this is the biggest showstopper for me so far. Since I currently can only connect RTP MIDI to the Reaper Virtual MIDI port, I've gone ahead and done that and I can get MIDI input into Reaper. My issue is, the MIDI resolution into Reaper is extremely low. If I record CC controller data it looks pretty much jagged. If I look at the same dump directly in the terminal, it looks great. Again smooth and accurate. It does not look remotely the same in Reaper. So I know data is getting into RTP MIDI and ALSA correctly at high resolution and accurate but when I connect it to Reaper's virtual MIDI port, the resolution and accuracy goes to shit basically. Could anyone think of why that would be happening?

I know someone is going to say I should just use Jack. I really, really don't want to. I'm using Reaper and nothing else. It's an extra layer I just don't want. Plus I used Jack for years when I was using OSX and didn't like it then. I still don't like it now. I would like to be using ALSA for MIDI and ALSA for audio. I've got a Kiss Box for MIDI input, an AES 67 interface for Audio and Reaper. That's it. Everything I do is inside Reaper only, so Jack isn't something I need or want.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would put my Linux ability somewhere between beginner and intermediate, so I'm sure there's quite a bit I could be missing. It just seems Reaper's ALSA implementation isn't there yet. Or I'm just stupid. Probably a little of both!

Any thoughts?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
s wave
Human being with feelings

I know you can use pure alsa from what I've read. I don't know the specifics of how the alsa kernel routes the midi... I am noob on this area. Maybe this link can be helpful? Till someone else comes along. gl

http://www.tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote