Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
03lespaul
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Interface Advice

Hey everybody! I don't post on this forum much but I do love using Reaper! While my post isn't Reaper specific, I would appreciate any advice regarding my home studio setup.

I'm a hobbyist. My setup is 2 channel and will most likely stay that way. A M-Audio Audiophile 192 is my current interface and I am using the 192's converters as well. I'm happy with the performance of the ASIO drivers but I would like to upgrade to better converters. I'm thinking of upgrading to a pci-e interface with great converters?...PCI seems to be going away and may not be on my next computer.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommend a pci-e interface with great converters?
If I keep my Audiophile 192 and add outboard A/D D/A converters would I need a word clock?...I'm not really familiar with word clocks and if or when they are needed and stuff...

I just need a little push in the right direction...thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited by 03lespaul; 01-15-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: incomplete
03lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
RevG

I recently purchased an RME Babyface, in part for their superior converters...it's an excellent unit and I highly recommend it!
RevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
airon

Outboard AD/DA would be more expensive than a new interface. You do NOT need another clock, since the AD/DA would provide that themselves.

The RME Babyface is great. There are a lot of RME interface owners here, but of course they're not the only ones that produce good ones.

One thing you can count on with RME are excellent drivers to go with their excellent hardware.

There are less expensive options, but RME is likely to last you the longest.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
RevG

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Outboard AD/DA would be more expensive than a new interface. You do NOT need another clock, since the AD/DA would provide that themselves.

The RME Babyface is great. There are a lot of RME interface owners here, but of course they're not the only ones that produce good ones.

One thing you can count on with RME are excellent drivers to go with their excellent hardware.

There are less expensive options, but RME is likely to last you the longest.
Too true...when you look at the price point below the RME and what's available "down there", and then compare it to the RME (or the Sound Designs USBPre2, also excellent), there's just no comparison when looking for longevity, quality, and reliability in a Windows platform DAW. Granted, if I had a Mac I'd have looked heavily at the Apogee Duet....but I'm VERY happy with my RME and given that I'm a solo artist that records at most two channels at once, its a perfect solution for me...along with Reaper, of course! :-)
RevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
03lespaul

Thanks for all the replies! I would prefer a pci-e interface. I wonder if the converters in let's say a RME HDPCe AIO are as good as the converters in a RME ADI-2.

I'm just trying to improve my small setup. I'm happy with my audiophile 192 in terms of the low latency stability and connectivity I just feel like the converters are the weak link so to speak.
03lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
bogo

+1 for a RME audio card or interface, I like my multiface very much. You might also look at E-Mu for good pcie cards and less expensive.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
fastlanestoner

Your concern for conversion is well-founded. RME is great, as is Focusrite.

As far as PCI-e connectivity, that is more of an issue with latency. If you stick with a reputable company I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your conversion.

New Thieves & Lovers record 'Seasons' out soon!
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote