Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #601
Breeder
Human being with feelings

Thanks for a quick reply Banned - it seems I haven't googled it enough and those two commands escaped me.

Well, it's a start at least...I hope some kind of general mechanism for recognizing touch messages gets added in the future - touch mode can really be useful in a lot of contexts, not just volume/pan

Thanks!
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #602
Banned

Yeah, I'm really hoping to see a more general mechanism for touch-sensitive automation recording added as well. But I'm not looking forward to having to add a separate action for every individual parameter, as we now have for track volume and pan. I still think a more generic message pattern to indicate where touches begin / end is the way to go, but I'd love to hear other ideas and suggestions.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #603
Heb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Yes and no. Yes, sure REAPER can respond to /z OSC messages, wherever they come from, as long as you configure REAPER to listen to such messages. But, no, REAPER does not know out-of-the-box that it should listen to such messages or how to respond to them. That requires a proper configuration, matching the message patterns from sender (TouchOSC) to the receiver (REAPER). Simply sending the messages from TouchOSC is meaningless, unless you configure the desired response on REAPER's end as well.

Although REAPER does not support dedicated OSC messages to signal where touches begin / end touch for arbitrary individual parameters, for this specific case you seem to be in a bit of luck, since there are two notable exceptions for track volume and pan automation, where you can use TRACK_VOLUME_TOUCH and TRACK_PAN_TOUCH to configure touch-sensitive automation recording. So you should be able to get this working for your current purpose. However, it doesn't work (yet) for anything beyond those two specific parameters.

Fwiw, imho the scheme currently used for track volume and pan should best be seen as somewhat of a test case. This topic has been discussed before (as referred to above by mim as well), see e.g. here, here, and here.
I know nothing about programming, would someone be kind to show me were and what in the osc file I should add this script?
The default 3 seconds delay before the fader returns to it's original position makes volume automation pretty useless..
Thanks
Heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #604
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb View Post
I know nothing about programming, would someone be kind to show me were and what in the osc file I should add this script?
The default 3 seconds delay before the fader returns to it's original position makes volume automation pretty useless..
Thanks
Sure, but preferably not here - as this thread is reserved for bug reports and feature requests. Could you perhaps make a new thread about your issue?

I'll try to give a beginning of an answer anyway: it all depends on the context, so you should describe how exactly you intend to use it. The Default.ReaperOSC file already supports touch sensitive automation for the track volume and pan parameters, so you could change it to match the pattern of the OSC client you're using, or you could change the message pattern that the OSC client is using to match the pattern REAPER is using. And of course, you can even change both and use a pattern of your own choosing.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #605
zvukofor

Maybe some items from this list was suggested earlier, but:
- it would be great to get track colors, in a values as required by Lemur (value of the color attribute can range from 0 to 8355711)...)
- Great to get track phase invert (not by the actions, but with feedback)
- Rearrange FX on track (move active in controller FX up and down, this could be made with actions, but SWS extensions actions works only for activated FX in Reaper's FX window )
- Sends bypass (Reaper have widest routing possibilities, just setting level to zero not always works good)
- Master track stereo/mono with feedback

Feedback, i.e. bi-directional for all action messages would be nice, but do not know is it really possible or at least not that hard.

As for bugs: selecting/activating master channel (via DEVICE_TRACK_SELECT ) works not the same way as for simple channels: cannot get feedback to turn off active master channel indication, same with master automation modes.

Edited: one more bug —*mute automation is not recorded via OSC, initial "mute on" press is recorded, but that's all.

Thank you all guys for your work and contribution.

Last edited by zvukofor; 07-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #606
Guod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
- it would be great to get track colors, in a values as required by Lemur (value of the color attribute can range from 0 to 8355711)...)
Amazing coincidence, I searched, couldn't find, then came to this thread for feature request for the exact same thing.

I'm hoping it will be possible to transmit the track colour (rgb) in the same way that the track name is transmitted. This would be great for not only tablet control surfaces, but my own custom hw control surface(s) using RGB LED backlights, etc. with MIDIbox.
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #607
hendrikvanb

Default Track Control parameter manipulation via OSC

Hi all,

I'd like to know whether it is possible to gain bi-directional control of FX parameters assigned to the Track Control Panel (TCP) via OSC? I'd like to use XY pads to change FX parameters in a live situation, and want as much control and flexibility over the specific parameters affected. In theory, what I'd like to have is a series of OSC controls that are always linked to parameters 1 - 8 (or more if possible) that appear in TCP of the active track. Then I can simply assign the desired parameters of any VST to specific slots in the TCP. (Unless I am mistaken, this approach would also effectively serve as a work-around for the fact that learned OSC messages in Reaper are not bi-directional.)

This would be seriously awesome, but for the life of me I've not been able to figure out (a) whether Reaper's present OSC "hooks" actually allow for this and (b), if so, how to implement it. Any suggestions/advice?
hendrikvanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #608
dusanmsk

Seems that Reaper doesn't make difference in osc messages when using tcp controls and/or the fx to control fx parameters.

As I see in console, change of tcp knob value is translated into:
'/fxparam/1/value' ( this affects 'device selected' fx )

and absolute path:
'/track/1/fx/2/fxparam/1/value'

If you have fx you want to control at the same place (order) on all tracks, you could create static mapping by some osc mapping software ( search forum, I have never used anything like that before). Something like '/track/fx/2/fxparam/5/value', which means "5th parameter of 2nd fx on currently selected track'.

If you don't have the same fx order on each track, it's much more difficult.

I am currently working on midi feedback mapper for reaper with this 'advanced' functionality. You are be able to specify track/fx name pattern and the right mapping profile will be automatically selected depending on what you click/open/select in reaper ). But currently it is still in alpha state. If you would like to beta-test it, send me a PM.
dusanmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #609
mjm

Default FX online/offline status

Hi all,

I've read the thread, learnt a lot, but I couldn't find any information regarding this. Is it possible to have control over the online/offline status of an FX via OSC? At the moment I'm using a set of actions to do it, but the problem with this approach is that, as far as I know, the control device doesn't receive any feedback from Reaper about the status the FX is at a certain moment. Is it possible to have bi-directional communication between the device and Reaper with commands involving actions that put Reaper into a certain state?

And, in general, is there a reference list of all currently available OSC capabilities in Reaper?

Thanks.
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #610
dusanmsk

I don't see any osc message when toggling offline state of FX too. Talking about osc message definitions, the Default.ReaperOSC should be the only reference imho. I don't know if there exists another messages not documented in this file.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #611
mjm

Thanks dusanmsk, that saved a lot of searching. It would be great to have bidirectional communication for at least anything involving the use of track and mixing panels.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #612
dusanmsk

You should create new feature request for this (but afaik FR are implemented in order of vote score, so I am pesimist here).

Describe your usecase a little bit more, maybe Reascript should help here. Why are you offlining fx?

EDIT: take a look at SWS, there is "Set FX offline for selected tracks", maybe it should help.

Last edited by dusanmsk; 08-06-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #613
mjm

I use a couple of templates with lots of Nebula equalizers and Kontakt big instruments. Leaving everything off-line instead of simply bypassed saves a lot of time when opening, and of course memory. I have almost anything I need just a click away and if I don't need it I just leave it off-line.

I'm already using the "Set FX offline for selected tracks" via the actions feature of OSC. It works very well. The only small issue in this case is that TouchOSC doesn't receive any feedback from Reaper, I have to look at the computer screen for that. It is not really a big problem though.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #614
Heb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey guys,
Today I discovered a bug.

I'm using the LogicPad layout on an iPad and I noticed that on the "Channel Strip" tab, the inserts are displayed incorrectly.

The best way to recreate this is to insert 2 plugins on a track, then go to the Channel Strip tab and select the track you just added plugins to.

You will notice a problem with the "INSERT ON" and "EDIT" widgets.
The names of the 2 plugins you inserted are correctly displayed at the top, but the horizontal bars that form the enable/disable buttons are reversed (insert #1 is at the bottom, insert #2 is above that).
This bug is also present in the "EDIT" column, which allows you to select which plugins' parameters you will edit with the 16 rotary controls on the right of the screen.

I'm using TouchOSC 1.8.1

Please ask if you need more info to hunt down this bug.

Cheers,
Dax.
I have the same behaviour on android, really annoying. Is there a way to correct this?
Heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #615
mim

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but PLEASE make the OSC compatible with TOUCH automation !
There is no workaround for this and this is of first importance to use OSC devices with automation !
A preference in the ReaperOSC file would allow the user to toggle explicit message / timeout method . (with the default to timeout ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Regarding the OSC touch messages, we did give this some thought. The simplest implementation adds a new message for enabling/disabling touch for each parameter, as we have done. A more complex implementation could use a sort of meta-message, such as

PARAMETER_TOUCH_ON s/touch/on
PARAMETER_TOUCH_OFF s/touch/off

and the device would send volume automation like this (using the default pattern mappings):

/touch/on /track/volume
/track/volume 0.50
/track/volume 0.51
/track/volume 0.52
/touch/off /track/volume

However, this could be impossible to implement in some host devices, whereas the simple version can always be implemented.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #616
Rotten

is it possible make a layout to manage the "Track Manager" form?
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #617
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
is it possible make a layout to manage the "Track Manager" form?
I don't think so, as there aren't any OSC actions for getting/setting the states for track visibility / target for inserting events. Perhaps one could do some of it with learning OSC messages for some actions (which don't seem to cover all of this new stuff either, it seems), but then one would have to do without proper feedback, which imho would make it too unreliable to be worth the trouble.

[OT] mim & mjm, are you perhaps related? You'd make a nice duo, I bet.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #618
Nomis

Default Change Host IP Address

Hi!
I'm trying to use TouchOSC with Reaper, using a Samsung S3. The phone connects to my (Windows 7) computer through a secondary hostednetwork that is only used for TouchOSC. Pure Data receives the data, I'm able to transfer layouts to the phone, so I know everything works.

However, in Reaper, the Host IP defaults to the IP address on the main network, the one I use to connect to the internet. I am unable to change it to the IP address I use on the secondary network. Is there any way to change this?
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #619
Teddy

Default Bug Report / Feature request

I tried to use the /r (rotary) value on TRACK_PAN. It doesn't work, and everything after the /r address on the same line is ignored.

Code:
TRACK_PAN n/track/pan n/track/@/pan r/track/pan/rotary r/track/@/pan/rotary s/track/pan/str s/track/@/pan/str
This is the line that's not working. Reaper doesn't send out the pan strings (because it's defined after the rotary argument), and everything sent to /track/pan/rotary is interpreted by reaper as a normalized floating-point argument.

Rotary values should work for everything, right? Not just /scrub and a few other values?
Teddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #620
Brian. A

Hi guys!

Just couple of question's here.

#1. I want to route track send via OSC,(this is using default OSC config file).
/track/1/send/1/name 2 (is this wrong or bug?)

#2. I want to add /insert fx chain via OSC,(also with default OSC file).
FX_NAME_REAEQ s/track/@/fx/@/REAEQ (not working,bug?)

#3. When I want to change vst preset via OSC,(also with default OSC file).
if the preset has a gap then its not working?
e.g preset is called highpass, /fx/1/preset highpass (working)
e.g preset is called low pass, /fx/1/preset low pass (not working)(bug?)

I have try'd:
lowpass
low_pass
low-pass
low/pass
low?!"*#pass
low(Reaper is awesome)pass

I know that there is other ways to do this: (to add fx chain)
actions/SWS: resources - paste Fx chain to selected track,slot 01)
but there is only 4 slots

Im also awere of SWS snapshots for saving different combination of track sends, but Im just tryig something different.
Brian. A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #621
Sigilus

Default OSC time parsed incorrectly, cross post from bug forum

I have been investigating a seek issue using control surfaces which send OSC commands. I am using Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames as time base.

In Reaper, I can "listen" to the incoming OSC cues.

If I send /time [f] 300, I expect to see the clock in Reaper and the edit cursor move to precisely 300 seconds, aka 5 minutes.

What I see instead is this:
On the listening port, I see that /time [f] 300.000000 is received. This is expected.
However, the clock reads 0:04:59:16. This is not expected. It's an error of nearly 1 second!

My next step was to determine what time request to send in order to get to the desired time. I called this my 'corrected' time. For 5 minutes = 300 seconds, I found I needed to send /time [f] 300.399994.

I then expanded this experiment over larger and shorter lengths of time to determine the error curve experimentally:

Desired: 05s. Displayed: 04:23 Needed: 05.1 Should be: 05 Difference: 7 frames - already enough to break audio/visual sync
Desired: 10s. Displayed: 09:23 Needed: 10.1 Should be: 10 Difference: 7 frames
Desired: 20s. Displayed: 19:23 Needed: 19:20.1 Should be: 20 Difference: 7 frames
Desired: 30s. Displayed: 29:23 Needed: 30.1 Should be: 30 Difference: 7 frames
Desired: 01m. Displayed: 59:22 Needed: 60.1 Should be: 60 Difference: 8 frames
Desired: 02m. Displayed: 1:59:21 Needed: 120.2 Should be: 120 Difference: 9 frames
Desired: 03m. Displayed: 2:59:19 Needed: 180.3 Should be: 180 Difference: 11 frames
Desired: 04m. Displayed: 3:59:18 Needed: 240.5 Should be: 240 Difference: 12 frames
Desired: 05m. Displayed: 4:59:16 Needed: 300.4 Should be: 300 Difference: 14 frames
Desired: 10m. Displayed: 9:59:09 Needed: 600.7 Should be: 600 Difference: 21 frames
Desired: 20m. Displayed: 19:58:19 Needed: 1201.3 Should be: 1200 Difference: 1 seconds, 11 frames
Desired: 30m. Displayed: 29:58:04 Needed: 1801.8 Should be: 1800 Difference: 1 seconds, 26 frames
Desired: 60m. Displayed: 59:56:09 Needed: 3603.6 Should be: 3600 Difference: 3 seconds, 21 frames
Desired: 02h. Displayed: 1:59:52:19 Needed: 7207.3 Should be: 7200 Difference: 8 seconds
Desired: 04h. Displayed: 3:59:45:14 Needed: 14414.4 Should be: 14400 Difference: 15 seconds
Desired: 08h. Displayed: 7:59:31:05 Needed: 28828.8 Should be: 28800 Difference: 29 seconds
Desired: 16h. Displayed: 15:59:02:10 Needed: 57657.6 Should be: 57600 Difference: 58 seconds

Desired: 8192h. Displayed: 8183:48:58:06 Needed: 29530691.2 Should be: 29491200. Difference: 8.192 hours. This is really significant!!!

Further investigation yielded another interesting component describing the rate of error build up. My test at 8192 hours is of course ultra-extreme. But based on the other data, I extrapolated that the error was always 1.001, or 0.1% of where the time should be set to. I tried to multiply therefore, the time of 29491200 seconds (8192 hours) by 1.001 and lo and behold, nearly hit the target on the dime. This proves the behavior is consistent.

How can this be fixed? It is important to be able to accurately seek to a chosen time. This error of .1% seems small, but exponentially the error accumulates over time such that while the % relationship is preserved, the inaccuracy of seeking time in seconds drastically increases.

There must be some rounding/calculation issue in Reaper because I am seeing the correct OSC cues being received, but the time displayed and edit cursor position are incorrect. Only by sending a new cue with a corrected value at 1.001 times the value I intend can I reach it.

Last edited by Sigilus; 11-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #622
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xane002 View Post
It would sure be nice to have the current/last marker or region name as an OSC message.

I'm setting Reaper up for live use with multiple songs in one project. While I as the operator can see the current song that's playing via the laptop screen, the other performers in the band cannot....they use OSC to control their in-ear audio feeds. I would like to send to their devices the current song name as well.

Thank You!

So far, Reaper is surpassing my expectations - this would be simple a cherry on top!
+1! In the meantime the S&M Region Playlist does provide OSC feedback for the current region (i.e. region being played)
The interesting OSC msg is /snm/rgnplaylist/current, it has a string argument: region # + region name, e.g. "3 Verse" (it also provides feedback for the next region to be played: /snm/rgnplaylist/next).
To hook your OSC device, things are explained in main menu > extensions > about sws/s&m > button "what's new", see the v2.3.0 #15's changelog.
HTH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. A View Post
I know that there is other ways to do this: (to add fx chain)
actions/SWS: resources - paste Fx chain to selected track,slot 01)
but there is only 4 slots
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum!
No, there are up to 99 slots! to configure this, see http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...postcount=1448.
To make your own "insert FX" actions, this can help too: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...40&postcount=5
___

EDIT: humm.. did not replied to your other Qs... not nice! (just "seeding" some info"about the SWS/S&M extension...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. A View Post
Hi guys!

Just couple of question's here.

#1. I want to route track send via OSC,(this is using default OSC config file).
/track/1/send/1/name 2 (is this wrong or bug?)

#2. I want to add /insert fx chain via OSC,(also with default OSC file).
FX_NAME_REAEQ s/track/@/fx/@/REAEQ (not working,bug?)

#3. When I want to change vst preset via OSC,(also with default OSC file).
if the preset has a gap then its not working?
e.g preset is called highpass, /fx/1/preset highpass (working)
e.g preset is called low pass, /fx/1/preset low pass (not working)(bug?)
#1 is a misunderstanding, you can't directly create routings via OSC messages (but you can trigger actions/scripts via OSC and those will do the job). I beleive s/track/@/send/@/name is only here to send feedback (i.e. just to name routings in the controller, but receiving those messages has no effect).
Note: I believe the same goes for s/track/@/name but since the default OSC pattern file states "The device sends /track/3/name vox to rename track 3 in REAPER" this one could be considered as a bug.

#2 is a misunderstanding: ditto, this won't insert FX, I think s/track/@/fx/@/name is only here to send feedback to the controller about fx names.
To insert FX, you can use the S&M slot actions discussed above. From v4.55 you can reliabely trigger SWS/&M actions via OSC: in your OSC pattern file, you need something like: ACTION s/action/str i/action t/action/@ - And a message example could be: /action/str _S&M_TRACKFXCHAIN18

#3 works fine here (with space characters in preset names) => looks like a controller issue on your end (?)
To make sure, you can monitor OSC messages: "Listen" button of the "Control Surface Settings" window, I had a similar issue recently (controller adding garbage characters...)

Last edited by Jeffos; 11-07-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: more stuff
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #623
Teddy

Default FR: Pass arguments to Reascript

It would be incredibly useful to be able to pass arguments from OSC to Reascript. This would extend the functionality of a controller a lot, and bridge two different excellent parts of reaper.

It would also be great to be able to send OSC messages to controllers from inside Reascript, but this can already be done with PyOSC or a similar library, so the first request is more important.

BTW, is this still the right place to post FR and bugs? Is it read by the right people? Not complaining, just wondering.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #624
dusanmsk

Default FR: Generic osc parameter feedback

I have an idea how to get rid of many FRs about osc controller parameter feedback (usable also for MIDI, i've developed (another) simple midi->osc converter which should be used for midi feedback).

Simple example is better than 1000 words:

- my "osc surface" is sending some '/custom/X/value' messages ( floats 0.0-1.0 )
- I map it by "Learn" function inside Reaper to some vst parameter ( for example /custom/6/value to synth "Cutoff" )
- when I send that value from osc control surface, reaper changes vst param value ( this is ok )
- when I change vst param from inside reaper (by mouse/automation), it sends for example '/track/1/fx/2/fxparam/3/value' back

Why not to send also the MAPPED osc command? So changing vst param by mouse (or automation) will send back 2 messages:

/track/1/fx/2/fxparam/3/value
and
/custom/6/value

It cannot be hard to implement (because you actually know what address is mapped to which knob) and it will help the osc developers (a lot) to skip doing 'heurestics' in meaning "which controller is currently mapped to /track/1/fx/2/fxparam/3/value?".

It should simplify things a lot and leave all mapping functionality inside Reaper ( instead of doing it on both places - Reaper and Osc SW ).

Devs, please, give it a chance.

THX
Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #625
EcBaPr

i posted this on feature requests page as i didnt realise their was dedicated thread for osc requests.. But here is what i would like to see if possible...

A way of sending marker names back to tablet running a OSC controller app.. As far as i can work out there is currently no way to achieve this ?? In the same way it is nice to have time/beats/samples/frames positions displayed it would be great to have marker names displayed back on the tablet..

I went through all the action list relating to markers and couldnt see any way of achieving this ?? If there is already a method i would love to hear, otherwise it would be handy feature to include. thanks..
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #626
EcBaPr

another feature that would be very handy would be to cascade the incoming OSC message to another outgoing network port so a 2nd program can be controlled at the same time..
Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #627
LeeTurner

Is it possible to pick up the current project name? This would be a very useful feature for a remote/live OSC application where the computer is not visible.
LeeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #628
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeTurner View Post
Is it possible to pick up the current project name? This would be a very useful feature for a remote/live OSC application where the computer is not visible.
to my knowledge project names isnt possible but currently marker names are being implemented so if you put a marker at timeline start with the project name that would maybe do the same thing ?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #629
zvukofor

One more good idea/feature request:

I think it is a good idea to show only those tracks in OSC controller, which are visible in MCP.

Then we can use screensets with tracks visibility enabled/disabled for different parts of mix to be shown on controller.
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #630
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
I think it is a good idea to show only those tracks in OSC controller, which are visible in MCP.

Then we can use screensets with tracks visibility enabled/disabled for different parts of mix to be shown on controller.
I absolutely wholeheartedly agree! This is definitely something I would use all the time! Do you guys also think that this is a good idea? When the device is set to follow reaper, this is kind of the expected behaviour, don't you think?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #631
N2NPro

Default OSC bug reports and feature requests

Hi Fellow Reaper's,
I am new to the forum and have been initiated by an amazing member named "Banned". Amazing isn't really appropriate, he deserves much more, but as he is a humble individual, I will not embarrass him with further praise, though definitely warranted.

Banned wrote an OSCII-bot.text file that brought my ancient though completely functional Peavey StudioMix (motorized controller for Cakewalk ProAudio-Sonar) back to life. The StudioMix is NRPN based and Banned wrote code to translate NRPN to OSC and OSC translated back to NRPN, thus having bi-directional control via OSC. The thread is here if interested -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137558.
During our experience from testing-working model, he/we uncovered a few OSC bugs that need to be reported:

1. Master Fader affecting other tracks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
- As for the master fader affecting track 8, 16, etc. after switching the track bank: you found a bug in REAPER, haha! I double-checked, and this is simply how REAPER responds when you set the volume for track 0. Fixed in the script by using a dedicated OSC message for master track volume. Should still be reported as bug nevertheless.
2. DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED ReaperOSC config file
Quote:
Indeed, it seems we found another one. With this setting in the .ReaperOSC config file:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
... and using this 'OSC action description' (as we do, and which is also part of the default configuration):
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME n/master/volume
... REAPER stops sending out OSC messages for the master track volume after selecting another track (which includes touching any control *except* for the volume faders on another track) - until the master track is selected again (which includes touching any parameter *except* for the volume fader on the master track, such as pan, mute, or solo). This seems to be a bug / unexpected behavior, because touching a volume fader *should* count as 'last touched'.
3. When selecting tracks via device the ctrl, shift hotkeys do not work in combination.
Quote:
I'm not sure if that is actually supposed to work - but arguably, it should. It seems that we'd need to report it as a bug / feature request to Cockos.
4. We have logged Reaper continuing to send messages post execution of various tasks (ex: arm/unarm) that affect fader movement in the device.

Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Can't we stop them at the output of reaper in this case?
Quote:
No, I'm afraid not. As you can see, these are simply volume messages. We have no idea of knowing whether they are related to track (un)arming. It's REAPER's job to minimize the amount of redundant messages (and as such, you may consider creating a bug report for this), but in doing so, it should of course err on the side of sending too much (i.e. redundant) messages rather than sending too few (in which case, the remote device would be out of sync because it did not receive the most recent value for all parameters).
These are a few that we encountered and verified. If anyone one else has had similar results or has info regarding these bugs, please come forward.

My experience in this forum has been an absolute blessing. I am so impressed by it's members, their courtesy, knowledge and generosity are unsurpassed! Thank you, and good luck to all.

N2N
N2NPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #632
jico27

Yes i want this too!
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #633
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
Yes i want this too!
want what?

@N2NPro: Great list of bugs. I'm not sure if anyone is listening in this thread, though. Probably best to make a post in the bug reports forum as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #634
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
want what?
...To correct the bugs mentioned by N2NPro!
I just wanted to add my vote and support here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
@N2NPro: Great list of bugs. I'm not sure if anyone is listening in this thread, though. Probably best to make a post in the bug reports forum as well.
This is my opinion too! But who knows...

Last edited by jico27; 04-19-2014 at 12:41 AM.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #635
N2NPro

Default re-posted in Track Bugs/Feature Requests

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input!
I have re-posted here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5172

Please have a look and respond as you feel necessary.

Thanks again,

N2N
Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #636
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2NPro View Post
I have re-posted here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5172

Please have a look and respond as you feel necessary.
You should report those as separate issues in the tracker, and create discussion threads for them (as the tracker is not for discussion, but many of these issues could well need a bit more of that).

Indeed, perhaps it's time to start entering OSC Control Surface related bug reports and FRs in the tracker. There are a whole bunch of them in this thread that are not in the tracker yet. And I probably have a few more that haven't been documented yet.

Some further comments below:
Quote:
[...] Banned wrote code to translate NRPN to OSC [...]
For proper credit, I should clarify that this specific part was written by JeffOS - I piggybacked on his generic 'translate ALL incoming MIDI to generic OSC messages' script, and adapted it to pick out the specific MIDI messages that your device happens to use, and then started adding specific functions.
Quote:
During our experience from testing-working model, he/we uncovered a few OSC bugs that need to be reported:

1. Master Fader affecting other tracks: [...]
When sending OSC messages to REAPER (using a similar config to the default one) like this:
Code:
/track/0/volume [f] [value 0.0-1.0]
... REAPER changes the volume of the master track, IF the selected track bank is the first one. However, when another track bank is selected, REAPER targets (e.g., with track bank size = 8)
- track 8 when track bank = 2 (tracks 9-16);
- track 16 when track bank = 3 (tracks 17-24),
- etc.

REAPER does not seem to send feedback to the device for /track/0/volume, either (although it does, as expected, for /master/volume ).

So it seems that we should either only use the dedicated OSC actions descriptions for the master track and get rid of the 'track 0' concept, OR ensure that it is used consistently and without bugs.
Quote:
3. When selecting tracks via device the ctrl, shift hotkeys do not work in combination. [...]
To clarify: "selecting tracks via device" implies that this setting is used:
Code:
REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
Would there be any complications to doing this? It seems that REAPER can only follow one Control Surface at a time, anyway, so I can't think of any conflicts.
Quote:
4. We have logged Reaper continuing to send messages post execution of various tasks (ex: arm/unarm) that affect fader movement in the device. [...]
To clarify: I think we have only seen some *redundant* messages (e.g. track volume) from REAPER when (un)arming tracks.

Insofar these messages "affect fader movement in the device", that is probably exclusively the result of behavior specific to the device (it seems to be reporting back the positions of its motorized faders, which may differ from the values it has received) and how our script attempts to handle the associated issues. So this seems to be a (minor) general 'flooding' optimization issue.

---

We've also found that triggering some actions using their 'regular' ID doesn't seem to work for *some* users (it works for me, but not for the two others who have tested it so far, namely N2NPro and jico27). In particular, this goes for:
- 'Track: Toggle mute for selected tracks' (Cmd ID = 6)
- 'Track: Toggle solo for selected tracks' (Cmd ID = 7)
- 'Track: Toggle mute master track' (Cmd ID = 14)
When sending an OSC message such as
Code:
/action [i] 6
... REAPER does not respond as expected.

Notably, when using the same OSC action description for other actions (e.g. undo/redo, transport functions, Cmd IDs such as 40029, 40030, 40042, 40043) they *do* work. For now, we can aliased custom actions as workaround, but it would be nice to find out why the 'regular' actions don't work in some cases. Has anyone else seen this problem?

(Fwiw, the main difference I can think of between their setup and mine, is that I'm on OS X, and they're both on Window.)

---

Another thing we've found, is that the 'scrub' feature / action description does not seem to support 'relative' messages with acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Default.ReaperOSC
# r: rotary. The device triggers the action in the forward direction when sent
# with an argument greater than ROTARY_CENTER, and in the reverse direction when
# sent with an argument less than ROTARY_CENTER. For some messages, the magnitude
# of the argument affects the rate of change. REAPER does not send feedback for
# these messages.

# Example: SCRUB r/scrub
# The device sends /scrub 1 to scrub forward, and /scrub -1 to scrub in reverse
# (if ROTARY_CENTER is 0).
For example, I'm seeing the same result for these messages:
Code:
/scrub [f] 0.01
/scrub [f] 0.5
/scrub [f] 1
/scrub [f] 5
If this is correct, could this "magnitude of the argument affects the rate of change" thing please be added for scrubbing?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #637
N2NPro

Hi Banned,
I am sorry to be so forum illiterate and discourteous. This is not my first forum but not really my forte.
I will do my best to identify each individual bug, post in the tracker and discussion boards.

Thank you for your kind patience,

N2N
Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #638
Banned

Quote:
Hi Banned,
I am sorry to be so forum illiterate and discourteous. This is not my first forum but not really my forte.
I will do my best to identify each individual bug, post in the tracker and discussion boards
No problem, but do take a look at the 'how to report bugs' sticky in the REAPER Bug Reports section. For one thing, you should file separate issues for separate bugs / FR's (otherwise, clicking '"are you able to reproduce this bug?" or voting are not very useful).
Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #639
spectro

Default OSC Transport Feature request: (or is this a bug?)

FR: Transport functions to respond to same messages that they send!

More specifically, when monitoring Reapers transport functions (such as play) via OSC, Reaper sends /play 1. when playing and /play 0. when stopped. Unfortunately when remotely controlling the same function (via Max6 on the same machine) it will only *toggle* its active state regardless of the message sent: In other words It will still play with play/ 0 as well as play/ 1. if it was previously stopped, etc..

FWIW I have set the actions message to b/play/ rather than the default t/play but it makes no difference despite the suggestion that his could work as outlined here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132991 however this does not seem apply to play and pause (or is just wrong)

Unfortunately this situation means it has made it virtually unworkable for my intended purpose.

Have I missed something or is there some flaw in my method? I'd be happy to be mistaken about this if it would solve the problem.

Thanks for any feedback,

S.

Last edited by spectro; 06-10-2014 at 06:14 AM.
spectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #640
Cursed Lemon

Hey guys, I'm using TouchOSC for my iPhone.

Is there any way that I can use it to control the window that pops up after you record a take to decide whether or not you want to keep it?

This would be super handy for recording myself in a live room.
Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote