Old 11-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Bemo
Human being with feelings

Default -30dB hum on guitar track

Everything is good to go except for this -30dB hum on my guitar track that I can't figure out where it's coming from. I've switched guitars from single coil to humbucker. I've moved my computer and monitors. I've tried active and passive pickups. I've tried different plugins, and it's always there. The only time it's NOT there is with the plugins are turned off.

I'm using the Ignite Emissary amp sim. I've been working on this all day literally now and I'm at my wits end. What else could it be?
Bemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
zeekat

I assume that means you tried different guitars, so we can rule out unsoldered ground wire in the instrument?

Maybe you just use amp models with a crapload of gain? Those will always be noisy. -30db of noise sounds about right really (when not using a noise gate).
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 AM   #3
ivansc

This could be as simple as your comuter, assuming it is a laptop, causing the hum itself.
This is fairly common with laptops although I gather the newest ones are improved.

In any case, -30dB should be to all intents and purposes inaudible unless your guitar is really cranked up high.
Are you using a noise gate on that track at all? It won`t cure it, but it would certainly limit when the noise level is audible.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Everything is good to go except for this -30dB hum on my guitar track that I can't figure out where it's coming from. I've switched guitars from single coil to humbucker. I've moved my computer and monitors. I've tried active and passive pickups. I've tried different plugins, and it's always there. The only time it's NOT there is with the plugins are turned off.

I'm using the Ignite Emissary amp sim. I've been working on this all day literally now and I'm at my wits end. What else could it be?
Could it be the plugin itself ?

Some amp sims model everything, including the amp hum

Try a straight gain plugin (not an amp sim) and see what you get.

-30db noise/hum floor is pretty typical for a guitar signal -- heck back in the day the very best equipment (Studer, Neve, etc.) were only -60db -- I say only - that was amazing back then

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 11-11-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Bemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Maybe you just use amp models with a crapload of gain? Those will always be noisy. -30db of noise sounds about right really (when not using a noise gate).
Yeah, the Emissary is a high-gain amp modeler. I tried using a noise gate but it cut half the guitar signal as well. When I got all the signal back the hum was back too!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
zeekat

Yep the gate is supposed to supress noise on pauses where it would be most disturbing, when playing it's open passing both signal and noise alike, but like everyone mentioned, that dissolves in the mix, assuming you didn't really go overboard with gain. Do you have some real life example (recording) where it's actually detrimental?

I own a guitar with lipstick pickups, which is so noisy it's basically antenna with frets. Still useful with some overdrive - soloed it's noisy but half busy arrangment drowns the hum without a trace.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Yeah, the Emissary is a high-gain amp modeler. I tried using a noise gate but it cut half the guitar signal as well. When I got all the signal back the hum was back too!
Did the noise gate have all options needed? Make sure one you're using has threshold, release and reduction. If its a plug in, there are frequency options too.

In the real world, I use an electro harmonix silencer pedal, in Reaper I just use the standard Reagate. You can use Reagate to set a slightly more specific frequency range. Personally, I'd use an fx chain of EQ (just to roll off any low end)- Gate - then all other plug ins.

And shielded guitar cables. I've had good results with Sommer Spirit cables, as I have one bass guitar that seems to want to channel an eternal hum of all the undead. The cable helped a bunch.

EDIT: Also, it took me forever to find, but a few years back, I tracked down the cause of another hum issue was having certain USB devices plugged into the pc, my phone being a prime culprit. Just in case any of that helps at all
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
valy

With single coils I took a piece of aluminum (?) wire and looped it around a few times into a circle, then connected a thin lead to it with an alligator clip and clipped the other end of the wire to the metal bridge of the guitar. Eliminated that hum that only appears when you remove your hand entirely from the strings.

That might not be your issue, just putting it out there.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
Bemo

I got the Effektor Silencer 100 noise gate and that seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for the help.